FS22 Rennebu WIP

Mwal

Re: [Video] Rennebu map WIP presentation

Post by Mwal »

That looks really cool, nice work
JohnDeere77

Post by JohnDeere77 »

Seen some of the videos Ola Haldor has on twitch (link to it from his facebookpage fs22 Rennebu WIP) and to say it again; the map looks great! Seems like there is a few issues left to fix, but wether they are easy to fix or takes longer time, I dont know. So if release in july is still possible, I dont know. Very impressed by the effort he is putting in! I cheared for contributing to Realsimus modding when they made Seasons, and Im chearing for people to contribute to Ola Haldor for making this map.
Plays on pc, hardmode and loves grinding
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Thank you so much JohnDeere77 :)

Making the map has taken a toll on me, my wife and our family. I've not always been there because "just 30 more minutes".. :)

The map is a result of MANY late nights because I don't want to take the time away from the kids, leaving my wife alone with them all the time. 2-4 hours at a time as many nights as I can through the week. If I was lucky I could put in a couple hours during day time.

I've had some nasty comments on Facebook, discord and even emails with people complaining and demanding I release the map. These are incredibly entitled people who are not my friends, whom I started to make this map for in the first place.

It's easy to say "just brush it off and ignore them", but the volume of such negativity has been a bit overwhelming. It's cruel and disrespectful towards me, the time and money I've put into this.

It's not going to stop me from making a new map, but I may not be so open about the process as I've been with Rennebu.

The map does not live up to my vision, sadly. It's a bit naked compared to what I wished for. There's a reason for that.

When you set out to make a map, with no prior experience with the engine, you're going to struggle a lot.

I know 3D modeling well, it's been my profession for many years. Video too, thus my love for making the videos the way they have become.

As a map maker, you need to know a lot of disciplines and experience. Gamedev, game design, GIS data, 3D modeling, texturing, endless hours figuring out how things are done technically, understand XML, preferably also know how to script.

If I could get more help with modeling, things would look a lot different, more filled in and alive.

I'll get there eventually. Just hang in there with me :)

Wish you all a great summer vacation, I'll be back soon enough. :)
humbe

Post by humbe »

Sad to here about the nasty comments :/.. Good luck, and have a nice summer.. Prioritize the family and put in the time when it feels fun and not a chore..

And people wonder why Giant devs don't seem to read this forum too often..
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

It amazes me that, when people do something creative, artistic, to give away FREE, working what must be untold hours, again for FREE, the very ones for whom the art work is meant can bite (HARD) the hand that feeds them. People (like me) who wouldn’t dream of taking that much time to make something that looks as beautiful as your map, indeed, ANY map, if they are smart, would be wise not to discourage the maker. I’m sorry this is happening to you. It, also, seems the detractors are always so much more vocal than those of us who are ever so pleased and grateful. We should speak up more, perhaps to tip the balance more to the positive. You have been so open and sharing with this map. I look forward to it in whatever form it is released. Thank you.
Last edited by SimulatedFarmer on Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

As a fellow Norwegian I want to say that this Map looks incredible and I can only imagine the amount of work and sacrifices you've made so far. I look forward to the day when I can play on this Map.

Such a shame people are acting the way they do, but seems like this entitlement someone has goes hand in hand with small minds and ignorance. (This is mostly aimed at commenters on Facebook and Youtube).

Keep up the good work, Olahaldor. I look forward to every update. Have a good summer.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Raffi_M

Post by Raffi_M »

I found two impactful bugs while playing this map already. Is there some special place you like bugs reported to or should I just drop the information here?

Great map by the way!
Zero76Gaming

Post by Zero76Gaming »

Raffi_M wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:19 pm I found two impactful bugs while playing this map already. Is there some special place you like bugs reported to or should I just drop the information here?

Great map by the way!
There is a special topic for this:

viewtopic.php?f=963&t=193142
Mr Martin

Post by Mr Martin »

Hello from France.

My question: where is the straw trigger for the Bergtun cowbarn?

Best regards.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

There is no manure pit so it wouldn't make sense.
I see multiple questions about this so perhaps I should have a look at this to let you as player play the map as you wish. But irl hardly any farm here has manure at all, only slurry.
Mr Martin

Post by Mr Martin »

olahaldor wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:20 pm There is no manure pit so it wouldn't make sense.
I see multiple questions about this so perhaps I should have a look at this to let you as player play the map as you wish. But irl hardly any farm here has manure at all, only slurry.
Ok thanks for fast reply.
I use manure in placeable BGA, so im looking for some.
olahaldor

Re: FS22 Rennebu WIP

Post by olahaldor »

Thanks all for downloading the map and buildings! :)
There have been a lot of good feedback and reports about issues and suggestions for improvement since release.

I'd like to address and inform in this post.

Q: Why was it released before you're done with the buildings? It looks unfinished.
A: I agree, it does look unfinished. For personal reasons (I wanted to put the map project on pause to clear my head during vacation, and not feel guilt for not working actively on it!). Rest assured, I will continue to develop new buildings and make the map look closer to my vision.

Q: When will you release an update?
A: Asap! I have fixed the 'easy' ones first and am starting to look into the more time consuming issues to solve.

Q: What issues have been fixed?
A: This is the current changelog.
- fixed larger triggers for horse feed and straw at Bergtun horses
- fixed floating straw planes at Bergtun horses
- fixed larger triggers for bales and food at Bergtun cow barn.
- fixed Bergtun cow barn being placed too low into terrain when built by the player
- fixed cow feed types and priorities
- fixed Sandbrekka bakery visually stuck below ground. Triggers now work as well.
- fixed Holiløkk buildings under construction. They can now be sold.
- added support for bales at the silo at Bergtun sheep barn
- added support for all crops which can be produced into products at the grain mill
- tipCol on the map is updated. This will let those of you who built bunker silos in specific areas use them. This should not require a new savegame.
- disabled maize, cotton and sugarcane from being planted. These goods cannot be delivered or sold either.
If you have a lot of these goods already, build one of the sell stations that can take anything from modhub. Sell all you can, *then* update.

Q: What issues do you have left to fix?
A: A few jarring mistakes on my own but nothing critical, more like visual things you'd have to look closely for. And the traffic splines. I've still no idea why it behaves the way it does.

Q: What about the future buildings, when will they come?
A: As soon as they are done! More buildings will be added, not in one update, but more. The idea is the map will get a major update first to enable all the placeables to magically appear once there is an update to the buildings pack.

Q: When will the "major map update" come?
A: As soon as I have prepared all the placeable yard sites. This update, sadly, will require a new savegame. I will work hard to make it right from the beginning, so you can keep on playing on the new savegame. I hate it if I have to make an update which breaks the savegame.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Awesome.. Looks great.. Have barely booted it up yet, but gonna go for a playthrough once I'm done in my current Western Wilds scenario.. Think it was a good decision to get it out there so people could start checking it out..
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

OH! I totally forgot to mention; for the brave players out there, parts of the fix is already on my discord if you'd like to get a taste of it (and hopefully also report if you have issues - or not).
The fix will not require a new savegame as far as I know, but make a backup just in case.
It's in the #public-testing channel.

https://discord.gg/WcfCvvspS8