Consoles players poll.Would you buy upgraded FS19 if offered?

Would you buy upgraded FS19 if offered on next gen consoles?

Yes
53%
No
30%
On the fence
7%
Aint gonna happen
11%

Total votes: 91

Illinois Farmer

Re: Consoles players poll.Would you buy upgraded FS19 if offered?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

aklein wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm Go ahead and slam me for being a PC player but hear me out.

It is my understanding that the available slots on a given map differs from one console to the next. Free slot count is different on a PS4 vs an Xbox One X vs an Xbox One S? Yes/No? Just start a new game with new farmer on ravenport what are your free slots for the given platforms?

If this slot count is indeed different per model then it would indicate to me that FS19 on a new console would automatically have more slots available. I am willing to guess this slot count calculation is something done based on the amount of system memory in the system and not hardcoded in the game platform so when you get a PS5 with double the memory of a PS4 and open up ravenport on new farmer you will very likely have alot more slots to work with by the nature of the system memory increase. This will hold true for the Xbox Series X also but not so much for the Series S which seems to be much more limited in system memory.
I think the slot count is the same for every console. 1299 (or something like that, it has been awhile)
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Correct, 1299 is same for all
Vondeylen Farms Ohio, U.S.
1000 acres, family farm, huge Case IH guy(however mostly John Deere now)

Platform-PS5
Welker Farms over 1000hrs
Onto FS22!
Large JD Farm with corn and soybeans always looking for multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/user/vondeylen22
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I think the confusion around slots may have come from the time when there was a bug with Xbox which meant that slot counts were being incorrectly reported to the user. This was rectified with one of the previous patches, there is no difference with slot counts between the makes and various models of console.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

21 (or whatever it'll be called) won't be too far away by then, so might as well play on current console until the next game is released. If it's like the others, it'll be little more than an upgrade anyway.
NitroJ-300

Post by NitroJ-300 »

It would depend on what was improved and how much it was improved but as far as I know PS5 will play PS4 games.
farmerdonnie

Post by farmerdonnie »

aklein wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm Go ahead and slam me for being a PC player but hear me out.

It is my understanding that the available slots on a given map differs from one console to the next. Free slot count is different on a PS4 vs an Xbox One X vs an Xbox One S? Yes/No? Just start a new game with new farmer on ravenport what are your free slots for the given platforms?

If this slot count is indeed different per model then it would indicate to me that FS19 on a new console would automatically have more slots available. I am willing to guess this slot count calculation is something done based on the amount of system memory in the system and not hardcoded in the game platform so when you get a PS5 with double the memory of a PS4 and open up ravenport on new farmer you will very likely have alot more slots to work with by the nature of the system memory increase. This will hold true for the Xbox Series X also but not so much for the Series S which seems to be much more limited in system memory.

I don't think the new platforms will magically have no slot counter like PC because I think the concept of slots is baked into the console version of 19 but whos to say what Giants is required to do for the next FS as far as slots.

Bale count I think is baked in and wont go up as it would need to be a patch and unless they have some way to deliver a patch to just PS4 and Series X devices the game must be coded to the lowest common element which would be the existing platforms.

You should get better graphics and performance just by the very nature of the huge advertised uptick in GPU performance. Look toward the high resolution PC streams/recordings for an idea of what is possible with the new platforms. Its hard to say if this will be automatic or if some sort of patch would be needed to release the view distance limits and increase the overall detail levels from what they are set at on console but again unless they can target specific models with a patch the game must be designed to run well on the lowest spec platform which will be the current PS4 and Xbox until the next version is released which might be released in two flavors one for the current gen and one for the new gen or they might leave the current gen at 19 as the last release.
this has been asked to giants many times and in livestreams they are always trying to improve slots which is a good thing it just wont happen overnight
Jimbomodder

Post by Jimbomodder »

I voted yes but bigger maps like 4x and removal of slot count would be a must
FS15 Xbox 360
FS15 Xbox one
FS17 Xbox one
FS19 Xbox one
FS22 Xbox series S
Fs15-22 pc

MSI b550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI gaming trio Radeon 6800XT
64gb ram
Evga 850 G2 PSU
Samsung 980 pro 1tb nvme
Fanxiang 2tb nvme
One of my most addictive games to date! You modders make this game even better :this:
Illinois Farmer

I don't think they would ever remove slots because that is a restriction put on by Sony and Microsoft.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

If they removed the slot functionality, players would continue to buy stuff until their system ran out of ram and crashed, and they wouldn't know why.
Jimbomodder

Post by Jimbomodder »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 pm I don't think they would ever remove slots because that is a restriction put on by Sony and Microsoft.
Depends, if graphics stayed same they could as they did with fs15. With the power the next gens and supposed to have they should be able too.
FS15 Xbox 360
FS15 Xbox one
FS17 Xbox one
FS19 Xbox one
FS22 Xbox series S
Fs15-22 pc

MSI b550 Tomahawk
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI gaming trio Radeon 6800XT
64gb ram
Evga 850 G2 PSU
Samsung 980 pro 1tb nvme
Fanxiang 2tb nvme
One of my most addictive games to date! You modders make this game even better :this:
Illinois Farmer

Guess we will see.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 pm I don't think they would ever remove slots because that is a restriction put on by Sony and Microsoft.
I know what you're saying, but the wording gives people the wrong impression and Farmboss summarised the issue quite well that Giants have unlike most other games. FS allows players to crash their game by putting too much stuff on the screen, unlike pretty much every other game that I can think of on the console. Think of a racing game where you know you will be on one of the tracks racing against 24 (or whatever) competitors. Now your engine knows almost everything and you can tweak performance for those parameters. IIRC Forza was one of the first games which dynamically changed some graphics settings, depending on how much was going on the screen, to ensure that it stays at 60 fps. But in comparison to FS you have a lot less stuff that the player can influence and hence this sort of technique can work, but won't in FS.

In FS you could have 5 tractors or 100 tractors, which will cause the console to run out of resources and crash. Sony and MS do not appreciate that and hence Giants implemented the slot system to prevent the player from doing this. It's not that Sony and MS said, "Ok, you must add slots into this game". The restrictions are more like "do not crash the console" and "game must remain above 25 fps" and so forth. The best way to achieve that in a sandbox game like FS is by limiting the player how much of the console's resources they can use with a slot system
Last edited by theSeb on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Jimbomodder wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:50 pm
Depends, if graphics stayed same they could as they did with fs15. With the power the next gens and supposed to have they should be able too.
It does not matter if the next consoles have 7 bajilliions of "power" and memory because if a player buys a gazillion tractors that use 8 bajillions memory, then the console will still crash.

There is no "should be able to" here. There is what the player is restricted to and in a game like FS the player is not very restricted at all, hence you need a slot like system to restrict the player from creating a scene that the console cannot render
Idahofarmkid

Post by Idahofarmkid »

My only question on the slot system is does Giants have to update the game for a newer console to readjust the slot maximum, or will they? Or will the consoles figure that out or optimize it on its own? I'm not super tech savvy so I don't know if that slot number is hard coded or something that would self optimize on a better system.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Just a guess, but hopefully the slots are a dynamic calculation based on the amount of ram and the amount of things in ram. This would take the guesswork out for modders, especially map makers.