Fuel usage on console

FarmerDan72

Re: Fuel usage on console

Post by FarmerDan72 »

On 5x you can have a little under 5 real hours from midnight to midnight. Using a full tank of fuel in 5 hours is probably very unrealistic.
I get that, but it's just the idea of having the tractor use match the amount of time that is supposed to be going by. So if you run a tractor 12 hours a day everyday through spring and summer of 6 day seasons, it would show around 150 hours of use for 2 seasons of use which feels closer to reality than the 30 hours it would show now if you used 5x timescale.

In other words, if you go through a full year in seasons, your tractor age, hours, fuel use, etc. should reflect a year's worth of use. It shouldn't depend on what timescale you use. A year is a year.
PS4
Guil

Post by Guil »

Other than making the fuel consumption change depending on time speed I don't think it is possible to do what you're asking. What about players that set it to 120x for a period of time?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah but then at 120X you would drive somewhere and be out of fuel in minutes, I’m fairly certain this is why they chose the current system.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I would hope it would be an option to leave it as it is now if you want to. If you choose to play on 120x, you could certainly leave it as is if you don't want to deal with rapidly aging equipment. You might not need to fuel up for a few years, but I'm sure plenty of people would be fine never having to worry about that anyway. For me, I would still say a year is a year, and 120x is just extra hard mode.

I guess it's just with the seasons mod, you actually get to feel like months and years are passing instead of everyday is groundhog day. It would be cool to have time pass for your tractors the same is it does for your farm.
PS4
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Uh huh, so it seems a post about fuel usage is now a post about vehicle aging? The doors on my van have taken 20 years to rust through, I went through a tank of gas last weeks. That seems normal to me. If a rust hole formed every tank of gas I used I wouldn't have that vehicle in game.

There, that's my confusing addition to this post.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

A tank of fuel should get your vehicle X number of miles. The miles you drive has nothing to do with how short the days are. I really have no idea why this is an issue to people, to only be able to drive your tractor three miles per each tank of fuel if on 120x time seems even less realistic to me.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Urinal2001 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:53 pm A tank of fuel should get your vehicle X number of miles. The miles you drive has nothing to do with how short the days are. I really have no idea why this is an issue to people, to only be able to drive your tractor three miles per each tank of fuel if on 120x time seems even less realistic to me.
I’m pretty sure it’s fine the way it is, if you switch to miles it’s going to be wonky as hell too.
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Mwal wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm I’m pretty sure it’s fine the way it is, if you switch to miles it’s going to be wonky as hell too.
Totally agree its fine how it is, but its essentially done on mileage anyway isnt it? 'Tractor hours' is basically that i thought, as you are unlikely to sit in a vehicle with the engine running but not going anywhere.

Perhaps ive misunderstood the exact way its calculated, but like you i dont have a problem with how its currently done.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Urinal2001 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:06 pm Totally agree its fine how it is, but its essentially done on mileage anyway isnt it? 'Tractor hours' is basically that i thought, as you are unlikely to sit in a vehicle with the engine running but not going anywhere.

Perhaps ive misunderstood the exact way its calculated, but like you i dont have a problem with how its currently done.
You should have a large difference in pulling a ripper for 50 miles, a silage box, or without anything. I feel like miles would exasperate the problem because the short distance many people farm then the fuel would go forever. Farm machinery and heavy equipment measure by gallons per hour. Most new stuff keeps track. Miles don’t mean much in the field because of the variance of load you can be putting on the engine. I think what most people miss (not saying you but others in the thread) is that the big farm they think they are running is only like 50 acres. That’s a small field not a farm in the grand scheme of things.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

You should have a large difference in pulling a ripper for 50 miles, a silage box, or without anything. I feel like miles would exasperate the problem because the short distance many people farm then the fuel would go forever. Farm machinery and heavy equipment measure by gallons per hour. Most new stuff keeps track. Miles don’t mean much in the field because of the variance of load you can be putting on the engine. I think what most people miss (not saying you but others in the thread) is that the big farm they think they are running is only like 50 acres. That’s a small field not a farm in the grand scheme of things.
I understand and agree with all of that. But I'm not going to be able to put in the time needed to run a 1000 acre farm. I'm just hoping the next version comes with a couple more fuel use options for console is all. I know it doesn't necessarily make fuel use more realistic. It's just the only way to have fuel matter on a scaled down farm.

Not very high on the priority list, but it would be a nice addition in my opinion.
No different than the increased fuel consumption mod does for PC users.
PS4
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Having the tractors working on time would work well if the machines, and equipment also went as the same speed as the time. So if running on 5x speed then the tractor and equipment also 5x the speed.
Though thinking of the people that run on 120 speed I'm having the image of garrystillplay's in my head. Of when he was playing with the machine speeds and the traffic.
PS4
PS5
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

The fuel consumption in the game is already realistic w/o any changes... Just because your using equipment made to work hundreds of acres for tens of acres dosen't mean fuel should magically disapear...

And playing at different game speeds just makes game days shorter. 1 irl hour of feld work is 1 hour in game to the equipment regarless of game speed.

Play how ever you want yes, but I just do not understand why people think this is an issue.
PC gamer.