Fuel usage on console

Jlf85

Fuel usage on console

Post by Jlf85 »

Is there any chance that a modder can/will edit fuel usage settings on console--or is this not possible as we likely cannot change values in the base game?

The reason I ask is that I feel like the fuel usage numbers (at least on console) are a bit off. I just spent 12 hours with a tractor breaking new ground on a map (which would use a lot of diesel in real life!) and I still have like half a tank of fuel.

If we cannot mod these values--can someone recommend tractors and machines available on Modhub that actually "move the needle" with respect to fuel? My tractor needs filled up daily when I'm running it hard/
fenixguy

Re: Fuel usage on console

Post by fenixguy »

I can so relate to this. I have tractors that have been on the farm for 3 or 4 years (with seasons) that have never been filled up or had maintenance done on them. This either has to be fixed on a per-vehicle basis or by Giants themselves. A modder wouldn't be able to edit the whole game's fuel use rates without an external script.

BSM's 3000 Massey and their 40 series seem to use fuel at reasonable rates. I actually ran the 3000 out once by accident. That's two that come to mind.

But for real, they might as well have not even put fuel in the base game as most people never even keep a tractor long enough to empty the tank.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Jlf85

Post by Jlf85 »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 pm I can so relate to this. I have tractors that have been on the farm for 3 or 4 years (with seasons) that have never been filled up or had maintenance done on them. This either has to be fixed on a per-vehicle basis or by Giants themselves. A modder wouldn't be able to edit the whole game's fuel use rates without an external script.

BSM's 3000 Massey and their 40 series seem to use fuel at reasonable rates. I actually ran the 3000 out once by accident. That's two that come to mind.

But for real, they might as well have not even put fuel in the base game as most people never even keep a tractor long enough to empty the tank.
Couldn't agree more. I have a big old massey--if you're working it, it will run about 12 hours tops and be out of gas.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Look at your tractor hours and compare those unless that’s what you are doing. Mine seem decent but I run all modded tractors. If they went off time and some one was running 120, you would be out of fuel in a few minutes
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Mwal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:00 pm Look at your tractor hours and compare those unless that’s what you are doing. Mine seem decent but I run all modded tractors. If they went off time and some one was running 120, you would be out of fuel in a few minutes
Mine usually go 10hrs or so before needing filled up. I can usually do all tillage, planting, and harvesting on one tank.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

They went to the trouble of including fuel consumption options, but made them essentially either extremely low or almost none. This leads me to believe that they are working under a set of rules from the manufacturers as far as how everything is portrayed in the game.

I don't think we're going to see Giants add any game mechanics that feature running out of fuel in close to realistic timeframes, dealing with breakdowns, damaged machines, or anything that could look negative for the brand. We're lucky we can get 'em dirty. I hope I'm wrong, and the next one takes some steps in the realism direction.
PS4
Jlf85

Post by Jlf85 »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:07 pm They went to the trouble of including fuel consumption options, but made them essentially either extremely low or almost none. This leads me to believe that they are working under a set of rules from the manufacturers as far as how everything is portrayed in the game.

I don't think we're going to see Giants add any game mechanics that feature running out of fuel in close to realistic timeframes, dealing with breakdowns, damaged machines, or anything that could look negative for the brand. We're lucky we can get 'em dirty. I hope I'm wrong, and the next one takes some steps in the realism direction.
If it's the manufacturer, then I can understand that (though it blows my mind that they care about such things... all vehicles run out of fuel at some stage).

As an aside to this--does seasons change fuel use at all?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 pm
Mine usually go 10hrs or so before needing filled up. I can usually do all tillage, planting, and harvesting on one tank.
So then their fuel consumption is damn close to real life. They go by tractor hours not in game time. Be curious to know how many acres you did on that tank
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah, I think they are pretty realistic on the tractors hours. They scaled down every else in the game, but fuel consumption. If you want to fill up more often, you need to get more acres. I farm 400 acres on midwest horizons and had to fill up twice just putting anhydrous on.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Jlf85 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm
FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:07 pm They went to the trouble of including fuel consumption options, but made them essentially either extremely low or almost none. This leads me to believe that they are working under a set of rules from the manufacturers as far as how everything is portrayed in the game.

If it's the manufacturer, then I can understand that (though it blows my mind that they care about such things... all vehicles run out of fuel at some stage).

No, seasons does not. This mod does though

https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?l ... tle=fs2019

Personally I don't find the in-game fuel use too far from reality. Having to refill your tractor once a day every 12 hours of work seems about right to me. I am pretty sure that is how manufacturers spec out the tank size on their equipment. What is wrong though is that the maintenance bar lowers faster than the fuel consumption.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 pm Yeah, I think they are pretty realistic on the tractors hours. They scaled down every else in the game, but fuel consumption. If you want to fill up more often, you need to get more acres. I farm 400 acres on midwest horizons and had to fill up twice just putting anhydrous on.
Fair point.
PS4
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

theSeb wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:06 am
Jlf85 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm

No, seasons does not. This mod does though

https://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?l ... tle=fs2019

Personally I don't find the in-game fuel use too far from reality. Having to refill your tractor once a day every 12 hours of work seems about right to me. I am pretty sure that is how manufacturers spec out the tank size on their equipment. What is wrong though is that the maintenance bar lowers faster than the fuel consumption.
Pc mod won't help consolers. This has already been discussed in forum. Common suggestion is to run fuel out and only fill half tank, also make sure Helper Fuel Buy in settings is turned off.
I had about 10 hours I think on a 6M before it was low enough to fuel up.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
raran

Post by raran »

Jlf85 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 pm
fenixguy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 pm I can so relate to this. I have tractors that have been on the farm for 3 or 4 years (with seasons) that have never been filled up or had maintenance done on them. This either has to be fixed on a per-vehicle basis or by Giants themselves. A modder wouldn't be able to edit the whole game's fuel use rates without an external script.

Couldn't agree more. I have a big old massey--if you're working it, it will run about 12 hours tops and be out of gas.
If you run realtime that seems to be right on high consumption.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

Maybe they could add an option for fuel and maintenance hours to scale to either real time or game time. I like to play on 5x. It feels like I can get a realistic amount done in a day on that setting. It would be nice if a full day's work for me on the game was also a full day for the tractor and not just a couple of hours.
PS4
Guil

Post by Guil »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 pm Maybe they could add an option for fuel and maintenance hours to scale to either real time or game time. I like to play on 5x. It feels like I can get a realistic amount done in a day on that setting. It would be nice if a full day's work for me on the game was also a full day for the tractor and not just a couple of hours.
On 5x you can have a little under 5 real hours from midnight to midnight. Using a full tank of fuel in 5 hours is probably very unrealistic.