BulletBill

Honkyfarmer

BulletBill

Post by Honkyfarmer »

AndOnTheDrums

Re: BulletBill

Post by AndOnTheDrums »

He allowed Lone Oak to be redone for FS19, including all the buildings as placeables, and that’s all we’re likely to get.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

He hates the graphics style and inability to blend ground textures in FS19 with a passion, saying you can't make a realistic looking map in FS19. I have to say agree too.

He's still actively (very at the moment) modding FS17, so if GIANTS listen to our complaints of FS19 then he might return to a new version in the future.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

They look realistic enough to me based on what can be done in terms of the game world and often that's good enough.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

In this game world, I agree in a limited sense (especially with Seasons). But in FS17 you could and can make much more natural looking environments as the ground textures could be blended much better. Granted you were limited to four per square, but you could blend them in GE, which isn't possible in FS19. You can blend your own textures in a graphics editor which helps a bit, but it still doesn't work as well as in FS17.

Perhaps "realistic" was the wrong word, as technically the highlights/shadows changing based direction you are facing is realistic, though rather over the top (in first person mode) but when the world is over-blown or over-crushed that doesn't make for a natural looking world, and makes little sense in third person mode, which is how most people play I would imagine.

Edited for poor English.
Last edited by this_is_gav on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

theSeb wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm They look realistic enough to me based on what can be done in terms of the game world and often that's good enough.
The lack of ground texture Blending is appalling in Fs19 and makes the changes from one texture to the next harsh and ugly. Most map makers try to hide the edges with foliage or stain/dirt decals.
GIANTS advice is now the texture limit was removed is to add more textures to help blend from 1 to the next, except when you add more than a few extra ground textures, your map becomes unstable and will randomly crash until you revert to the default amount of ground textures. (Tested by adding GIANTS own textures from US base map to starter map made from Euro map)

However that is only 1 aspect of Fs19 I dislike massively.
Added to all the others I still have zero enjoyment in playing the game even after trying for nearly 2 years.
The game still feels, sounds and looks cheap, tacky and ugly.
But as long as the game makes money who cares about that.

The few positives are lost among the negatives.

Personally I prefer to mod for a game I enjoy, otherwise it becomes no better than work.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Honkyfarmer

Post by Honkyfarmer »

I really hope the next version is to your liking, Or that I can afford a suitable computer.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm
Personally I prefer to mod for a game I enjoy, otherwise it becomes no better than work.
And the quality of what you are bringing to 17 is still very much enjoyed by myself and many others *thumbsup*
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

I owned 17. I played 17. The only 2 maps I played on it were Goldcrest and Westbridge. So Lone Oak for me isn't nostalgia, I'd never played it before 19.

Lone Oak is, in my opinion, the best map I've seen on Farm Simulator(I started with 13)

I probably wouldn't have even bought 19 if it hadn't contained Deere equipment. I will download and reinstall 17 just to see what I'm missing. But being on console, I can't go back to that game, Deere is my childhood.
It's too bad we won't get a map on 19 from Bill, but I wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun either.

Giants, just hire this guy already. Maybe then we wouldn't have gotten surfboards and trash heaps in a farm simulator game. Need a job Bill?
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

FS-19 was a huge step side ways in most respects. The way the new lighting and graphics engine works vehicles and implements all look much better than they did in FS-17 but sadly the price the game paid for that is that it made the environment look much, much worse. The bright lighting makes all the 2D textures that largely make up the environment just flat and terrible.

And lets not get started on the look of the weather and clouds. Though I appreciate it was Giants first attempt at dynamic weather, which was much asked for by the community.

Its a shame because I loved FS-17, and put so many hours into it but I just can't get into FS-19, and god knows I've tried. All the immersion is gone. I really hope Giants can put things back on track with the next game.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

theSeb wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm They look realistic enough to me based on what can be done in terms of the game world and often that's good enough.
I've known for years that I have "limited aesthetic discernment" and for me function always, but always, takes precedence over form which is why I really don't notice the sky and the weather, but I do notice the rain not pouring through the roof. I do see the fuzzy distance view, and when I remember I turn it off, but I tend to be focussed on the task at hand. I worry more about needing to repair a tractor five times more often than I need to refuel it, and with all due respect, I'd rather have Seasons and the turn of the year than the lighting improvements that Oxygen David made to his maps.

So, with all respect to Bill as a mapper and modder, I'm going to keep on playing FS19 ... mostly because it's got a lot of Claas :D and a lot of maps that I like, maybe too many, but I largely agree with TheSeb ... it's good enough for me.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I've known for years that I have "limited aesthetic discernment" and for me function always, but always, takes precedence over form which is why I really don't notice the sky and the weather, but I do notice the rain not pouring through the roof. I do see the fuzzy distance view, and when I remember I turn it off, but I tend to be focussed on the task at hand. I worry more about needing to repair a tractor five times more often than I need to refuel it, and with all due respect, I'd rather have Seasons and the turn of the year than the lighting improvements that Oxygen David made to his maps.

So, with all respect to Bill as a mapper and modder, I'm going to keep on playing FS19 ... mostly because it's got a lot of Claas :D and a lot of maps that I like, maybe too many, but I largely agree with TheSeb ... it's good enough for me.
Take it from me, some people are going to tale that as fighting words.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm
As long as your enjoying whatever game your playing then thats all that matters. *thumbsup*
norfolk farmer wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:02 pm And the quality of what you are bringing to 17 is still very much enjoyed by myself and many others *thumbsup*
Your welcome bud.
Honkyfarmer wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:43 pm I really hope the next version is to your liking, Or that I can afford a suitable computer.
With the direction Fs19 went and how popular it has been in terms of sales for GIANTS I don't seem them changing at all from the current direction. If anything I expect the same un-natural/harsh graphics and lighting, focus on equipment over natural scenery and environments, more focus on placeables and encouraging map makers to be less original and just produce virtually blank maps.

That doesn't sound like the sort of Farm Sim I want to play and mod for.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

I look at it like this, as you get older things change and you have to learn to work with what you've got (left working in some case) the same with FS19 there are things that should have been left as they were in FS17 and if possible improved upon especially regarding terrain/ground textures and don't get me started on shiny vehicles gleaming like new in a dark shed with no lights on.
So its now a just case (challenge) of finding a workround that gives a reasonable result and experimenting to see what is and isn't possible and looking at some of the stuff on modHub people seem to a certain degree have succeded.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

As we've spoken about in other threads I think a lot will depend on whether the new FS is being optimised for the new consoles and the new higher end PC graphics cards. If it is then I'm optimistic the environment and lighting will look a lot better than FS-19. If however the game is being made for the current generation consoles then obviously its just going to be FS-19 all over again.

If its the latter then the game is doomed for a lot of people I think.

As to the placeables system. The mistake Giants made with FS-19 is making placeables integral to the various gameplay modes. That was a huge mistake and total pain in the back end for map makers. If they just make the placeables system totally optional like it was in 17 then that would be a big improvement. If people want to have a totally blank map and a 'build a farm' set up then fine but don't make other people pay the price for that. With the way FS-19 works people who want a lovingly hand crafted map by an expert map maker are having to pay the price for the hugely convoluted and mostly unnecessary placeable system.