BulletBill

FarmBoss

Re: BulletBill

Post by FarmBoss »

"The maps that stand out to me are made by people who really care about what they are making, and are not just trying to get a bit of attention."

This says it all. No need to take offense.
Pafarmer

Post by Pafarmer »

The not somebody trying to get a bit of attention part strikes me as kinda funny.
NCFarmer3842

Post by NCFarmer3842 »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 am
Honkyfarmer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 am
RunlikeaDeere wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:00 am
The more closer it is to RL the more familiar it feels to us which gives us greater immersion and enjoyment.
I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Maps that are far for RL with patchy trees that have no under brush is the biggest killer for me which is the main reason I go back to Your and Oxy’s maps. If it doesn’t feel real to me it’s not worth playing.
Playing on Xbox X in North Carolina
Honkyfarmer

Post by Honkyfarmer »

If other map makers are putting out maps trying to compete with Bulletbill and o2david.....then yes maybe they will be a little butthurt by the comments. But if they are just making a fun convenient farming map they shouldn't. If Giants thinks Ravenport is on par then I'm sorry. But most mod maps for US are on the level of Ravenport and for many players that's great. I have many hours on Pacific NW. Both types of maps can be enjoyed but if I am going all in realistic feeling and seasons I cant use Pacific NW. Really I dont want to discourage anyone from map making but hoping Giants makes changes to get Bill back with next version or strike up some noise so those that make these beautiful European landscapes might take on a new challenge across the pond. And some of you may still take it as being negative.....I just shrug and say okay
abslayer

Post by abslayer »

Just how many hours days does it take to make one of these maps?
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

Hey Seb, you know whats happening right now? Somewhere, someone is playing FS 19....

....maybe they are playing Stone Valley, Dahl Ranch, Six Ashes, Pacific Northwest etc, Washoe Nevada(Help me out Im American)

I get the love for Lone Oak is nostalgia after seeing it on 17.

You've seen Chedly speak very passionately about Osina. Right now other people are playing that too. One day that author may have a thread like this.

This was an appeal to Bill to make a map for 19. To have something on this version because we may be stuck with it a little while longer than normal. He doesn't want to, and nobody blames him. The end.

I know there are many other fans of many other maps out there that will be asking for more. Walker has a LOT of fans, they're just waitng for Millenial Farmer.

Thats it.

I hope epideath reads this thread because he made a fantastic map that works for this version in Pacific Northwest(a useful train!). I have many fond hours on New Woodshire.

Since Bill is out on this version, maybe one of these in FS21 or 22 or whenever will get the call.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

theSeb wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:57 am This topic must make every other map maker feel so good about their work.
Not sure how my statement would insult any genuine map maker.
It's not about lack of knowledge, we are all still learning no matter how long we have been modding for. Even you Seb :lol:

It's when people churn out mods or maps and there main motive is to gain attention, money, or both that makes me sad.

To give you an example I know a young lad who is making a map of where he lives in Cumbria, UK. It will most likely never come to the Modhub, it might never get finished, but seeing his passion for it, and the work he's put into trying to capture the feel of where he lives is brilliant and gives even the unfinished map an amazing feel.

There are maps on Modhub, and being made right now that have been made poorly, are full of errors, which you could excuse if it was the modders first time, except these are supposed to be "top" modders, so they should know better, instead they want to rush them out for the fanboys so they can enjoy all the compliments they hope to get, and sadly that motivation behind making the mod or map shows, and makes it lacking in every area.

Modding to me is supposed to be about creating something original, unique and meaningful. When a modder has added his personal touch to the project it shows and all for the better.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most people think here would think where we farm is ugly, there really is no depth just random patches of trees which are farmyards and besides that, fields. It’s terribly boring to look at, but so are the Great Plains and Northern Plains. Lots of maps people knock for being boring are actually pretty damn boring in real life. True to real life there’s very little to do as well. I didn’t have home internet until the 2010s because all that was available was dial up. There’s a town of several thousand people we had a movie theater and 10 bars. For fun we fixed up trucks and cars, chased girls and drank beer. When you stop and think about it there is truly not much out here. So I guess to my original point I wouldn’t live anywhere else and I have been lots of other places. A lot of these maps are true to the areas they are based and there great I just think people expect what you see in the euro maps but that’s just not what it looks like we’re lacking 1000 years of history.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I agree, but again if the map maker makes it because he has a passion and wants to capture the real feel of that area then it makes for a better map all round.

I remember a map called Tazewell County, which is pretty flat, not a huge amount of detail compared to some maps in other parts of the world, yet because the guy who made it had grown up there, worked on his family farm there it showed.
I used to really enjoy watching him and his friends playing on it.

It's not about where or what the map is, it's the reason why it was created.

Over the years I've enjoyed maps from all over the world. The one thing they had in common was the creator wanted to try and give the player the feel of what it was like to farm in that area. They all varied in quality down to each creators individual skill, but they each had something special.

I just feel that is a good thing.
Last edited by BulletBill on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

If I *could* make a map, this is what Id make: Stone City, Iowa

The painter, Grant Wood loved this area, you may know his other work?

BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

My encouragement to anyone who loves the area they live in and has thought about making it into a map is... do it.
The Farm Sim world will be all the better for it.
abslayer

Post by abslayer »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:11 pm I agree, but again if the map maker makes it because he has a passion and wants to capture the real feel of that area then it makes for a better map all round.

I remember a map called Tazewell County, which is pretty flat, not a huge amount of detail compared to some maps in other parts of the world, yet because the guy who made it had grown up there, worked on his family farm there it showed.
I used to really enjoy watching him and his friends playing on it.

It's not about where or what the map is, it's the reason why it was created.

Over the years I've enjoyed maps from all over the world. The one thing they had in common was the creator wanted to try and give the player the feel of what it was like to farm in that area. They all varied in quality down to each creators individual skill, but they each had something special.

I just feel that is a good thing.
I know what you mean and is why I love FS19 CanFarm very simple map but beautiful that has capture farming in Saskatchewan Canada were i grew up on a small farm
Thank you to all you guys that take the time to build these outstanding maps
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

If you want to make a map then go ahead and do it, there are plenty of Video's/Tutorials/Scripts on various sites on the internet to make things a bit easier to start with.

Here's a couple of links to start you off

The Sim station https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_6LdA ... sxpVsJ-yEA -mostly FS17 but some parts still relevant
shy wizard https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCivTZf ... 710d0JdbZQ
Dem's, Scripts https://farmerboysmodding.com/index.php ... 9-mapping/

Use the base game models if you are not familiar or don't know how to use blender to start with (or even off of other maps BUT if releasing to the great outside get originators permission first if required).

Who knows you might find it better than playing the game

Regarding other comments on this topic, this quote from a member of FS UK sums it up nicely, it was made in response to another persons comment about not earning enough by modding
Modding is something done voluntarily for free with a game we have no entitlement to make money from; if money starts being expected, it's time for that person to stop modding, they're obviously not modding anymore, they're working. This means it is time to start looking for a job doing that kind of work, not modding another company's game. Donation situations are a separate thing and of course are fine if people want to do that.
--Slivicon 13/10/17
Last edited by TheSuBBie on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

TheSuBBie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:13 pm If you want to make a map then go ahead and do it, there are plenty of Video's/Tutorials/Scripts on various sites on the internet to make things a bit easier to start with.
Use the base game models if you are not familiar or don't know how to use blender to start with (or even off of other maps BUT if releasing to the great outside get originators permission first if required).

Who knows you might find it better than playing the game
In the Smoky Mountains, there's a scenic overlook that has tourist graffiti written all along the walkway. My favorite is one that simply says:

"God #1 artist", with an arrow pointing at the view.

How very true.

I would love to try even making a basic map with a house and a few fields. To capture the rolling hills and vistas that Grant Wood saw(I know about where he made that painting, my cousin owns the bar in that building on the river) and make that into a map on farm simulator?

Waaaay beyond my pay grade. I wouldnt know where to start. I can appreciate a good song, but I cant write or even play one. I dread using the LANDSCAPE EDITOR because I always mess it up lol.
Last edited by RunlikeaDeere on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stryder87

Post by Stryder87 »

I got into this game just shortly after FS19 came out, having come from an online MMORPG (got tired of the compounding sad storylines with each new expansion). I wanted something 'clean', bright and fun. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I should buy the established FS17, or go with the new FS19. I decided to go with FS19.

I'm almost feeling regret that I didn't go with FS17 from all of these comments. :sadnew:

However, compared to the graphics from the game I came from, FS19 looks pretty darn good to me. I seem to be a map hopper, playing one until I get to the point where I feel I've 'won' it (usually at the point where I make so much more money than I need - a hangover from the online game mentality). Then I'll either restart the map or move to another I like, reach a point, then go to another. I seem to make my rounds with Ravenport, Fellsbrun, Minibrunn, Pacific Northwest (I really come back to this one a lot) and Mercury Farm. I'm finally changing my drive (I like to think of it as maturing :lol: ) from 'make moar money!!!' to 'slow down and smell the flowers'. My farming style is changing and I'm using less Helper and doing more manual work. I'm also not using the system I found to make hoards of money fast; mow grass, bale and wrap, then sell. I could make over a million dollars in a single day and it really didn't add to the 'fun'.

I've looked at many maps, and there are so many that are very popular that I wanted to love and live on, but I quite often find I end up feeling claustrophobic on them (usually the European maps), can't get the hang of driving on the left side of the road (I really struggle with this on Mercury Farms for some reason) or, like Goldcrest Valley (I really really really want to love this map) there's just something missing... nothing structural... just something atmospheric that I can't quite put my finger on, a lack of 'life'.

As part of my 'maturing', I'm really enjoying Six Ashes, and I've found my way back to Lone Oak. I've tried Lone Oak a number of times and couldn't get into it (I'd make too much money too fast and it would ruin the experience). But, now that I'm changing my playstyle, I'm really seeing the appeal of this map and have been spending a lot of time on it. I haven't started using Seasons yet, or gotten into animals (other than chickens because they are easy), but this map makes me want to experiment with them. If I knew what the different trigger points around the barn were for, or how to use the silage areas, etc, I might buy some cows and give them a go!

So, after that wall of text, I guess what I want to do is thank BulletBill for this amazing map that I seem to have finally grown into, and Oxygendave for porting it over to FS19.