Seasons Question

TheSuBBie

Seasons Question

Post by TheSuBBie »

Probably a simple answer but I can't seem to find any reference to it

The question is why when opening a map in seasons without a GEO loaded winter textures are loaded ingame but when a GEO is added (and it can be any of the published ones) the spring foliage textures are shown (doesn't seem to apply to tree's)
Is there a an extra line that has to be added to the GEO because when starting a game with a northern GEO snow is on the ground but hedges/flowers are in bloom.
reallogger

Re: Seasons Question

Post by reallogger »

This is a good question. Does not seem like we have covered it in the manual.

The visual tree textures are controlled by the latitude given by either default Seasons or the GEO and the time of year. The further north you go the longer winter (weather and textures) and shorter summer you will have. Some could say this is a bit inconsistent with the periods being fixed (three spring periods, three summer etc.) as with a northern GEO you will experience snow and winter conditions even if Seasons tells you it is early or mid spring. But this is how we selected to do it.

Note however that there are plenty of maps that are using hedge, flower assets from previous versions of the game. Depending on how the map maker integrated Seasons those textures might not be controlled by Seasons.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

As I said previously this anomaly only occurs when a GEO is present, so am I right in assuming nothing can be done to correct the situation as to me the default load is better for the early spring textures than when the GEO is used
Note: All seasonal textures are controlled by seasons in the map I am using and the GEO being used has a latitude of 47.5 I believe seasons default is 51.9
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Lower latitude in the GEO so warmer. It’s not an anomaly. It’s working as intended. Change the latitude if you want it like default seasons
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Remember also there is no link between the weather and the textures. Example: if someone makes a southern GEO with arctic weather it will show summer textures and snow at the same time. Even with properly made GEOs you will get such situations, especially in spring.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

I think I understand now Seasons itself just works on latitude regardless of weather/climate at location.
So any GEO would require selected latitude information like the latitudeSeason.xml in the RM snowy lands and I presume the visual period numbers refer to 1-3 spring 4-6 summer 7-9 autumn 9-12 winter.
So in my particular case if the winter visual was left in period 1 I would have the textures I require.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Correct.

The seasonal textures are determined from:
1) the latitude given in the environment.xml and
2) the information in the latitudeSeason.xml

One or both (or none for that matter) of the files above can be supplied in a GEO. If you want to have complete control of the textures edit latitudeSeason.xml to your liking. In such case what you input for latitude will only affect the daylight throughout the year.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Thank you for your detailed answer I have solved the problem by adding a modified latitudeSeason.xml to the GEO using the latitudeCategory type5 as a guide.
I notice that for it to work correctly the latitude given in enviroment.xml must correspond to the correct region in Seasons
i.e

–– latCat = 1 –– 0 to 30 deg
–– latCat = 2 –– 30 to 35 deg
–– latCat = 3 –– 35 to 45 deg
–– latCat = 4 –– 45 to 50 deg
–– latCat = 5 –– 50 to 60 deg
–– latCat = 6 –– 60 to 70 deg

latitude 47.5 -- latCat4
latitudeSeason.xml ----latitudeCategory type="4" regardless of any visual changes
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Yes, forgot about that part :coolnew:

Good that you got it working :)