Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

j_maybury

Re: Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

Post by j_maybury »

There is another reason why so many mods not get submitted to Modhub!
Some mods may conflict badly with other main mods on modhub, if the mod maker is unwilling to change or can't sort out the problem without ruining the mod, then the only other option is to put it on a website, I have found many great mods but some do end in messing up your game where you first have to find the culprit mod and delete it, unfortunately.
Yes there are some great mods out there. My personal favorits are " EnhancedVehicle By Zhool" and " AI Vehicle Extension By Mogli"
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

I’ve never received a review comment from Giants about my mod conflicting with others and I need to revise it. Do you have an example of this?
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

There was an old JCB tractor that I loved to use, but for some reason I have long since forgot about it threw up a conflict that meant I had to ditch the mod sadly, I don't know if it ever got fixed, but I just had to write it off.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I can understand the frustration with the process. And here's the thing, "it's your choice" what you do with your work. If this is just a hobby and you don't want the added stress and it makes you happy releasing mods to other sites, have at it. And to those who find happiness in making their way through the difficulty and provide mods to the official ModHub, have at it. The world is full of different people, and different things make them tick. A hobby is a good way to provide for one's mental health. So the hobby should always be enjoyable. I was following a couple different modding groups on facebook over the summer. And I found it suprising that quite a few modders mentioned that the fans "asking for mods" wasn't very toxic to them. It was actually the treatment they recieved from other modders. And that is sad. Artists should always help out, and celebrate other artists. It's honestly how we grow as a group. Learning from one another to hone in on our craft.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I just read on Casearias Modding's FB page that they tried to submit the loader for the 8900 Magnum. Apparently, Giants sent it back due to some errors or something. Casearias fixed the problems and re-submitted but got a notification from Giants that they weren't going to test it again because Casearias sent them the same file. Thus, Casearias says they won't be trying to release the loader on the modhub now. I don't know how much of that is miscommunication and how much of it is Giants being a pain. But I get the feeling that submitting mods for Giants testing is a bit of a hassle. I really can't imagine the work that goes into making a mod or testing the hundreds of mods that are submitted. It's mind-blowing that mods are on consoles period.

On the positive side, Casearias is currently making an MX-series CaseIH that will be submitted for console testing. Yay!
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
KevinMn

Post by KevinMn »

Procobator wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm I have successfully uploaded one small script mod to the Giants ModHub and it was exhausting. I will not put myself through that again. I make mods because I like to do it. Going through the Giants approval process *censored* the wind out of that enjoyment. I use other sites to upload my mods now.

I’m pretty certain I’m not alone in my experiences so that is probably one reason there are is a market to host FS mods outside of Giants.
So much this!!

I've uploaded 3 mods, and it's really a lenghty process.. Especially for console testing. There's a lot of stuff there, we won't even be able to test beforehand, only Giants can do that.
Worst of all, is that often they give you a list of 3 things, you fix those, uplaod the fix, and then they give you 2 more?? That's so annoying, and it has happened to some of my friends as well. And to clarify, the 2 new things didn't come because of the fixes of the first 3.
They don't seem to thoroughly test the mods.

I actually have a mod that's nasically done, and would just need to be uploadet, but I really don't want to go through all that again.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Testing the mod thoroughly is the modder's job, not up to Giants. Console issues are a different beast, but then, the simple answer is just don't submit it for console, especially until you have some more experience with modding and the modhub. The 3 then 2 situation could easily be explained as the tester person found 3 issues, which were already a failure and didn't bother looking for more. Then once the first 3 issues are fixed, the tester (possibly a different person) looked again and now found 2 other issues. I am not understanding why this was upsetting. Why was it so bad? It's an iterative process, clearly.

What I've gathered so far is people have submitted mods to the modhub and then they were surprised that it was rejected because of issues and decided that "this is too much hassle".
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

theSeb wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:48 pm Testing the mod thoroughly is the modder's job, not up to Giants. Console issues are a different beast, but then, the simple answer is just don't submit it for console, especially until you have some more experience with modding and the modhub. The 3 then 2 situation could easily be explained as the tester person found 3 issues, which were already a failure and didn't bother looking for more. Then once the first 3 issues are fixed, the tester (possibly a different person) looked again and now found 2 other issues. I am not understanding why this was upsetting. Why was it so bad? It's an iterative process, clearly.

What I've gathered so far is people have submitted mods to the modhub and then they were surprised that it was rejected because of issues and decided that "this is too much hassle".
Being in Graphic Design field for over 20 years, I see this in the form of the following example. Artist makes a design. Starts really getting into it. Artist puts his heart and soul into it. Artist thinks this is the best design they have ever made. Submits it to the client. The project misses the mark on a few things, and asks for changes. Artists starts ranting, saying the customer doesn't know what they are talking about. Artist begrudgingly makes changes. Customer wants more changes. Now two things can happen. Artist can just say "I'm done. I'm not doing this anymore" or Artist can make the needed changes and make something they can be really proud of. If a modder doesn't want to go the Giants Modhub route, I see no problem with it. There is way less stress and anxiety that route. But don't badmouth the process, because it's there for a reason. Giants doesn't want players to have a bad experience from using official ModHub mods.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

chedly_farms wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 pm
Being in Graphic Design field for over 20 years, I see this in the form of the following example. Artist makes a design. Starts really getting into it. Artist puts his heart and soul into it. Artist thinks this is the best design they have ever made. Submits it to the client. The project misses the mark on a few things, and asks for changes. Artists starts ranting, saying the customer doesn't know what they are talking about. Artist begrudgingly makes changes. Customer wants more changes. Now two things can happen. Artist can just say "I'm done. I'm not doing this anymore" or Artist can make the needed changes and make something they can be really proud of. If a modder doesn't want to go the Giants Modhub route, I see no problem with it. There is way less stress and anxiety that route. But don't badmouth the process, because it's there for a reason. Giants doesn't want players to have a bad experience from using official ModHub mods.
I completely agree. Also, Giants do pay for mods, so they get to ask for some quality. *shrug*
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

theSeb wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 pm
I completely agree. Also, Giants do pay for mods, so they get to ask for some quality. *shrug*
Does that mean Seasons will be fixing the too many fruit's problem, instead of other modellers having to find a way around the problem???.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:04 pm
theSeb wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 pm
Does that mean Seasons will be fixing the too many fruit's problem, instead of other modellers having to find a way around the problem???.
That is not a Seasons problem. That is an issue with the game's engine. What exactly are you expecting Seasons to do, or us to fix? We could release a Seasons version without snow I suppose. But then every mod that adds a new height type should also stop doing that because they are all impacting each other. :hmm: What we have done is printed out an error message when this happens to inform the user, instead of just crashing to desktop, because that's all we could do.

The game engine can handle X amount of height types by default without appropriate changes on a map by map basis. Lots of mods add new a height type and thus the problem. To put it simply and I am making up these numbers for simplicity: by default 10 height types are supported by the game's engine and 8 are already used by the game. Seasons adds 1. Mod X adds 1 and then when Mod Y tries to add 1 = problem. But we can also look at it like this without Seasons. 8 types are supported. Mod X adds 1, mod Y adds 1 and then when mod Z adds 1, then there is still a problem. "Other modellers" have to work around this problem, if the user is using other mods that add height types, regardless of whether the user is using Seasons, or not.

I can see that in your head you are trying to make some strong point, but I am not sure why you think Seasons is the problem here. Map makers can help to resolve the problem or Giants can update the engine. Hence why you don't have this issue on some maps.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

As far as PC mods on Modhub goes, finding a decent group of fellow modders or a community that helps other modders makes it a lot smoother process from sharing knowledge about various issues.
As modding is just a hobby you can't expect everyone to be an expert and know exactly every possible issue, doesn't matter how long you've been modding for.

With regards console mods the process is very frustrating, if modders had access to the same testing program that GIANTS use, it would actually solve a lot of problems on both sides.

For starters a modder who genuinely wants to improve there mod will use the tool and be able to make sure there are no errors at all without even submitting it to GIANTS.

Then when someone does submit a mod it should be a straight forward process to do a final check and release it.
If they submit it and it fails the console test, then it shows they didn't use the tool, and GIANTS have every right to refuse mods from that person until they use the tool.

I have heard a rumour that possibly GIANTs might be going to release the tool for modders, which if the rumour is true is great news for all involved.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

The problem I have is with not just one group of moders there are several Seasons is one Maze Plus and its counterparts is another, Addon Straw Harvest, StrawMe. They are making the game nightmare to play sometimes.
Another group is REA, Real Mud, and Filltype Mass Adjustment.
And all Giants do is sit on their fat ar** all day and do nothing about it.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You don't have to use those mods if you don't like them and make your game play bad. There are maps that you can play all that stuff together and be fine.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Wat? 🤷🏼‍♀️