Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

ctb123

Re: Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

Post by ctb123 »

Many mods that get a lot of attention and aren't on the ModHub are very poorly optimized and wouldn't be accepted on that alone. While many vehicle mods run 10 - 20 MB for size on the Modhub, it's not unusual to find for instance a pickup truck on a 3rd party site at over 200 MB!. Then folks throw a bunch of mods like that in their mod folder and complain the game is poorly optimized. I know, I know, it's not that simple, but it's certainly a factor.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 pm You don't have to use those mods if you don't like them and make your game play bad. There are maps that you can play all that stuff together and be fine.
There is one map that can play all those together, and if he can sort the mess out why can't Giants?
They don't even bother to give players a warning that these mods can and will cause problems.
ctb123

Post by ctb123 »

StawMe and and Maize Plus, the 2 most recent mods of the list that included Seasons & Straw Harvest, both warn right on their Modhub page there could be problems using them altogether. Seems like a reasonable disclaimer. The alternative is until if/when the game engine itself is updated not to not allow any mods that take the game beyond what it was originally intended, and only allow basic things like buildings & vehicles.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Reading is hard, so I think the best thing would be to remove all these mods.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:48 pm There is one map that can play all those together, and if he can sort the mess out why can't Giants?
They don't even bother to give players a warning that these mods can and will cause problems.
There is more than just 1 out there. Pc can increase the limits, but consoles can't, so that is my guess why giants hasn't.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 pm
There is more than just 1 out there. Pc can increase the limits, but consoles can't, so that is my guess why giants hasn't.
I guess there could be but I have only found one so far on the modhub.
Well what do you know! The Consoles strike again at limiting the use of the PC. Well, who would have thought it?........ Certainly not The Seb.
Illinois Farmer

Yeah I would look elsewhere ha. That's just my guess. I don't know for sure.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Thanks, Illinois Farmer, you are always worth reading on this forum.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

theSeb wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:48 pm Testing the mod thoroughly is the modder's job, not up to Giants. Console issues are a different beast, but then, the simple answer is just don't submit it for console, especially until you have some more experience with modding and the modhub. The 3 then 2 situation could easily be explained as the tester person found 3 issues, which were already a failure and didn't bother looking for more. Then once the first 3 issues are fixed, the tester (possibly a different person) looked again and now found 2 other issues. I am not understanding why this was upsetting. Why was it so bad? It's an iterative process, clearly.

What I've gathered so far is people have submitted mods to the modhub and then they were surprised that it was rejected because of issues and decided that "this is too much hassle".
The only issue with this is when Giants says "we've already tested this several times and there are still issues, dont resubmit". If they aren't going to give you all the issues at one time then they shouldn't limit how many times you submit it. As far as that goes I dont feel like they should limit it anyway. A modder won't improve of they aren't getting the feedback they need
Playing on PC and PS4
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

That is true and I don’t think that’s right.
Illinois Farmer

That's what has happened with whiskey Sierra New Holland forage harvester. He said he will try another mod again, but this was his first time trying to get a mod onto the modhub.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 pm
As far as PC mods on Modhub goes, finding a decent group of fellow modders or a community that helps other modders makes it a lot smoother process from sharing knowledge about various issues.
As modding is just a hobby you can't expect everyone to be an expert and know exactly every possible issue, doesn't matter how long you've been modding for.

With regards console mods the process is very frustrating, if modders had access to the same testing program that GIANTS use, it would actually solve a lot of problems on both sides.

For starters a modder who genuinely wants to improve there mod will use the tool and be able to make sure there are no errors at all without even submitting it to GIANTS.

Then when someone does submit a mod it should be a straight forward process to do a final check and release it.
If they submit it and it fails the console test, then it shows they didn't use the tool, and GIANTS have every right to refuse mods from that person until they use the tool.

I have heard a rumour that possibly GIANTs might be going to release the tool for modders, which if the rumour is true is great news for all involved.
If this was something they released, I would be super excited for it as I'm currently working on a map of my own (ever so slowly lol, no plans of PC or all platforms, etc.), and if we could figure out what Giants would like from a mod submitted, then I think that could help streamline their testing process. I know I for one would want to test the mod myself as much as I can.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Dairydeere wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 am If this was something they released, I would be super excited for it as I'm currently working on a map of my own (ever so slowly lol, no plans of PC or all platforms, etc.), and if we could figure out what Giants would like from a mod submitted, then I think that could help streamline their testing process. I know I for one would want to test the mod myself as much as I can.
The mod testing criteria and lots of other stuff is actually available for anybody who creates an account on the official GIANTS ModHub.

When you log in you see a line 'Do you already know our ModHub guidelines and tutorials?' and if you click on that link you'll get to the page with links to the guidelines for submitting mods and other useful info.

Regarding the special testing tools required for checking that mods work on consoles, as far as I know Microsoft and Sony don't allow those tools to be distributed b GIANTS and you would also need a special development version of the consoles to be able to use those tools. So it is not really GIANTS fault that getting a mod tested and released for the consoles is more difficult.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 pm The only issue with this is when Giants says "we've already tested this several times and there are still issues, dont resubmit". If they aren't going to give you all the issues at one time then they shouldn't limit how many times you submit it. As far as that goes I dont feel like they should limit it anyway. A modder won't improve of they aren't getting the feedback they need
I can fully understand why GIANTS don't test a mod completely if they find so many fails, as in theory the next version of the mod could change things that GIANTS would have to test twice and there's little point in GIANTS wasting time rechecking those if there were plenty reasons to fail a mod already.

If GIANTS refuse to test a mod after three submissions, but haven't tested or pointed out some of the issues with which it finally failed on (if they are genuine oversights or invisible to modders) then that's wrong on so many levels and all that's going to do is kill modding, especially for new or inexperienced modders.

If however a mod has several failures, gets sent back to a modder two or three times, then the mod is resubmitted with loads of obviously broken bits, or clearly hasn't been tested thoroughly by the modder, then I don't think the issue lies at GIANTS door, more that the modder (or their testers) hasn't bothered testing their own mod thoroughly enough. I think GIANTS would be fully justified in saying "jog on".

It's also worth pointing out that we only ever hear one side of the story, which is obviously biased. I wouldn't expect GIANTS to comment publicly and rightly so, but it's worth keeping in mind that it's rarely as black and white as it seems.
Guil

Post by Guil »

j_maybury wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:22 pm The problem I have is with not just one group of moders there are several Seasons is one Maze Plus and its counterparts is another, Addon Straw Harvest, StrawMe. They are making the game nightmare to play sometimes.
Another group is REA, Real Mud, and Filltype Mass Adjustment.
And all Giants do is sit on their fat ar** all day and do nothing about it.
Filltype Mass Adjustment doesn't use any additional height types