Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

RunlikeaDeere

Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

I just got the PC version, and....WOW. Within in hour, I had dream equipment I've been wanting since I first played this game(on PS Vita!). Maps had real world brands(Casey's gas stations!)

I get that console wont be getting 4x maps, and unlicensed brands. But for all the mods of brands we do have, why not? Sure, a lot of those mods are not of the same quality as those on modhub. But so what? Would there be any reason not to submit them to modhub if the tractor works?(like, so what if it doesnt have accurate gauges, etc?) It would still be good to have them in the game for a lot of people who play on console?

Just hoping if anyone reads this that has an equipment mod that's only on PC--hey, give console a shot at it.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Why do so many mods not get submitted to Modhub?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Some modders don't want to go through the hassle of console testing. Some modders don't like giants. You would be surprised how many good quality mods don't go truth the modhub. Of course there are a lot of bad mods out there too.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Some are way to detailed, some aren’t detailed enough, some use payed for models, there are lots of reasons
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

I do get the ones that are too detailed, like the 9RX or the DB90. I just meant the lower detailed ones, the older tractors. Boy, there is some beauties out there, and while theyre not picture perfect, so far they seem to work fine, and console is missing out on so much.
Illinois Farmer

Check out tired iron modding.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

RunlikeaDeere wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm I do get the ones that are too detailed, like the 9RX or the DB90. I just meant the lower detailed ones, the older tractors. Boy, there is some beauties out there, and while theyre not picture perfect, so far they seem to work fine, and console is missing out on so much.
Licensing is the issue, it can be difficult to get licensing for older machinery as companies take over each other
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:42 pm Check out tired iron modding.
Thanks man, will do for sure.
Illinois Farmer

Diniz farms has good jd tractors as well. Need help finding anything you can pm and I might have an answer for you haha.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

RunlikeaDeere wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm I do get the ones that are too detailed, like the 9RX or the DB90. I just meant the lower detailed ones, the older tractors. Boy, there is some beauties out there, and while theyre not picture perfect, so far they seem to work fine, and console is missing out on so much.
The "lower detailed" mods are usually stolen mods (or with parts stolen) taken from nearly a decade ago and converted without permission of the original authors, which GIANTS quite rightly won't accept.

In terms of licensed equipment, other than those stolen mods, in my opinion mostly lazy modders or those incapable of dealing with GIANTS refuse to upload to the ModHub. The exception is where a mod has previously been uploaded and GIANTS refuse to accept another mod which offers similar options - as mentioned maps which aren't standard-sized are also a common but sometimes reputable exception.

I do like the fact that there are many other mods out there and we aren't bound by the ModHub, and there are hundreds of good mods among them, but for every good one on most mod sites there are probably thousands of mods which are, simply, poor, ancient or plain broken.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Or those that have had their mods rejected and are now super upset about it. Now they hang around on discord servers discussing how things used to be better in the good old days and how modhub ruined the modding community. It's cool to be edgy and pessimistic. Nostalgia and echo chambers are a dangerous combination.

On a related subject... Why people are still going to dodge sites that take you to even more dodge sites which then try to open multiple windows and download other exe files that you did not ask for along with the requested mod? I will never understand this insatiable desire for more mods at any cost. Please, for the love of science, do not click the download manager.exe or any other nasty things that have ended up in your downloads folder after these visits.

I am thankful to Giants for breaking us out of the dark ages with their modhub.
somethingonmyshoe2

Post by somethingonmyshoe2 »

I am thankful to Ian Bell and David Braben for breaking us out of the dark ages with their original Elite game for the bbc B and today its the modder who try's to make a mod good or bad who are the pioneers of farm simulator modding. :hi:
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

I have successfully uploaded one small script mod to the Giants ModHub and it was exhausting. I will not put myself through that again. I make mods because I like to do it. Going through the Giants approval process *censored* the wind out of that enjoyment. I use other sites to upload my mods now.

I’m pretty certain I’m not alone in my experiences so that is probably one reason there are is a market to host FS mods outside of Giants.
Macce

Post by Macce »

Procobator wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm I have successfully uploaded one small script mod to the Giants ModHub and it was exhausting. I will not put myself through that again. I make mods because I like to do it. Going through the Giants approval process *censored* the wind out of that enjoyment. I use other sites to upload my mods now.
May I be a nosy bugger and ask what was the biggest thing Giants was giving you grief or what was their biggest sticking point..?
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Sure, the biggest issue was the information exchange. One review the reviewer didn’t review my latest submission so I got the same comments back which confused the situation. One time I thought I submitted my updated version and it didn’t take so the review comments I got back were more than the original comments which compounded the confusion.
somethingonmyshoe2

Post by somethingonmyshoe2 »

good old modhud

its like taking a holiday
1 you save and book your dream holiday (lets say 3 months happy to wait for the day you go on holiday)
2 you spend on new things for the holiday
3 day of the holiday ( seat on plane with someone farting all the time on flight going there )
4 best of all ( hotel was a "building site" and constant noise )

modhud

1 you spend 3 months making your dream mod
2 you try to make your mod best friends with modhud rules
3 testing starts and the redtape with censored parts shows it head
4 no help or with a big lack of guidance to fix things
5 best of all your dream mod trashed with modhud redtape

with the on look of life (im not doing that no more feeling you get)