campaign of france - cattle barn cleanliness

DirectCedar

campaign of france - cattle barn cleanliness

Post by DirectCedar »

I just love Blacksheep's Campaign of France map. It is wonderfully detailed and scenic and atmospheric, and a really super "small farm" experience.

I have a few beef cows in the barn at the starting farmyard, and the cleanliness always reads 0%. I've tried cleaning the feeding area like I usually would on other maps, but nothing picks up and the cleanliness doesn't change. Am I misunderstanding where the trough cleaning area is, or is there a different mechanism for cleanliness in this barn or for this map that I'm not utilizing? Any help is appreciated.
Aholz89

Re: campaign of france - cattle barn cleanliness

Post by Aholz89 »

Are you using seasons and one of the simlified GEOs?
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Aholz89 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:00 pm Are you using seasons and one of the simlified GEOs?
I am using Seasons with the built-in GEO. I do not have a separate GEO activated.
dimi

Post by dimi »

I loaded my old savegame on this map to check if i have any issues. It had been a while since i played on it, and my cows were rotated in the two pastures most of the year so i couldn't remember.

I don't seem to have any issues. The cleanliness here on the screenshot was 65%, After i cleaned those couple of spots with the shovel you can see on the right against the wall and let it run for a couple of minutes the cleanliness was 100%.

Thanks for the question. loading my old save game made me realize how much i love this map. It might not be the most perfect map, but in my opinion its among those with the most character and and nicest atmosphere. I have put 200+ hours on it already, but i might get back to it and play it a lot more.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Well I'm stumped :confusednew: I tried again for the tenth time or so and this time there was spillage showing and it cleaned up just like expected and the cleanliness went to 100% just like it should. No idea what I was doing wrong or differently before, but now it works normally.

This really is a beautiful and fun little map. Dimi what has your fleet and general operation evolved to in 200+ hours on this map? I'm still barely getting going; just took off my first harvest and am starting fall cultivation. I have the starting equipment except I sold one of the 7210s and bought basic haying equipment and a small sprayer and spinner spreader, plus a loader for the Fendt. I like the tiny Bizon combine but I hate that the auger is not tall enough to drive a tractor under when unloading, so I'm debating upgrading that next.
dimi

Post by dimi »

My laptop has crashed, so I can’t answer in much detail at this moment. But to summarize I didn’t get very far in those 200+hours. I play on hard mode and make it even harder for myself, so I still have a 700k loan. I only have 1 tractor. It’s the Renault tx something (don’t remember the number) you can see on the screenshot. I do have a combine (the bizon which was a big upgrade from the trailed one i used to have) and a forage harvester (the fortschritt). I also have a old trailed potato harvester. I don’t think I have any grass/hay equipment, my 24 limousin cattle just get maizesilage in winter. Most of the rest of the year they just graze in the two pastures. For straw bedding I use a conventional baler (which I regret every year after stacking them on the trailer and in the shed by hand :-)). The fields I don’t use for silage or potatoes I just grow grains. All of the equipment is around 3 meters wide maximum. I don’t use any artificial fertilizers, so cover crops and manure is the way I do it mostly plus Some digestate I get from selling my excess silage

I also have a couple of pigs. I don’t remember what sort of pigs or what kind of operation. So far they have mostly eaten some of the potatoes that didn’t meet the requirements to be classed as premium ( to explain: I use the mod to wash and sort potatoes to sell premium potatoes for a higher price. With the sorting you get a small percentage that are not premium grade and you can use it as pigfood)

I have removed the sheep area from the main farm since i had no intention to buy sheep, and replaced it with a shed.

About the bizon, yeah the auger is not very high. For me it’s not really a problem, I don’t use a helper. And because the fields are so small, I usually just park the trailer in a central position and drive the combine over there when it is full to unload.

I wrote this on my phone, so sorry for any typos
Stryder87

Post by Stryder87 »

Because of this thread I decided to check out this map because I like the small farming style. It's definitely small farming! :lol: I've never seen such small fields!

There's so much atmosphere in this map... I love it. Of course, I immediately had to cut down a couple trees that my seeder caught on, but that's to be expected. Since I'm not into animals I sold all the pens, but, I've been meaning to try my hand at having some cows (if I do have animals I only ever have chickens since they are the easiest). One thing I was wondering as I was driving around the map checking it out, you have a cow pasture on your farm and there is another one across the map (you don't own it). Dimi said his cows graze in the two pastures... would this mean he owns them both? How do you transport them, just with a trailer? Would you leave them in the (other) pasture all of the time (with feed and water) even though there is no shelter for them?

All of the animals, other than chickens, seem like so much work to keep, and I don't know how to do half of the things they need done that I'm wondering if it's worth it. I know chickens don't really seem worth it for what you get for eggs, but it may be because I only ever have around 100 of them.
dimi

Post by dimi »

I’m glad this thread made you check out the map because it’s great!

I don’t know if you use the seasons mod? With the seasons mod cows and sheep will eat the gras in their pen. What I do myself is from the moment the temperature gets low, mostly in the end of autumn, I will load all my cows that are in one of the two pastures (those that are not at the main farm) and I will transport them to their barn at the main farm. From that moment on I’ll start feeding them, cause there is very little grass there and in winter any grass left will whither. In the spring after the gras has grown a bit (either mid or lat spring I can’t remember) I’ll load all my cows in an animal transport trailer and I will bring them to one of the pastures. From that moment on I won’t feed them, they’ll just eat the grass from the pasture. I’ll just give them water every day. Once the grass in that pasture runs low( or if I don’t have enough cows for that to happen I’ll do it anyway around end of summer) I’ll load them up in the animal trailer again and bring them to the second pasture.

The transporting of the cows is a bit more work, and they won’t be as productive as they can be since they just eat grass most of the year. But I like doing it this way since I like seeing the cows grazing outside like you see them often in France in real life! Plus the feeding of them is very little work most of the year.

If they are worth it or not is up to you to decide. I like it very much since it gives you something else to do then just crops.
The last year I made little over 25k from my cows, prognoses for next year just under 40k if I remember correct. The food costs are very low of course if you just feed them in winter. This might not seem much, but for the scale of farming I do on this map plus the difficulty setting it’s one of my main sources of income.
Stryder87

Post by Stryder87 »

I haven't started with Seasons yet... if I do I'll probably use a simplified one as I really don't want to get so technical with the game (I need to relax!), so every day is like the next and would make the pasture rotation a lot easier I suspect. Do you still need to put bedding in the barn for them when they are at the farm pasture? I'm guessing you still have to deal with manure and such?

From what I've seen, animals are so much work they could be a game all in themselves!
dimi

Post by dimi »

When they are out in the pastures you don’t have or better yet you can’t give them straw. You also don’t get any manure or slurry. When they are at the barn at the main farm you can give them straw if you want. If you do you get manure, if you don’t then you get slurry and a small Penalty in animal productivity

There is a blog on the seasons website about animals with loads of information if there is something you want to know.

I have never used simplified geo’s so I can’t help you there
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

It is a lovely little map, I specially like how the hedges are done.

I'm on day 5 - this is my only tractor, crappy old Renault 751, sowing maize with a leased planter. The complicated arrangement on the front is the Lizard frontloader adapter and the Lizard weight because the tractor won't take front-end weights otherwise. I've got a ratty old NH combine and nothing that I own bigger than 3m.

I've got half a dozen beef cattle and a few sheep with maize plus to making the feeding interesting.

Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
dimi

Post by dimi »

Nice looking tractor! Good idea adding maizeplus, I don’t think that was released yet when I played this map... not sure.