Mac M1 and FS19

Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: Mac M1 and FS19

Post by Stegei »

Unfortunately the Apple ARM emulation (Rosetta) seems to be bugged at the moment and randomly causes the game code to crash.
We're currently investigating to find any workarounds, but I can't guarantee any success or timeline here. There is of course also the hope that Apple will fix this with a later OS/Rosetta update.

In the long term, we will also work on a native ARM version of the game to avoid Rosetta completely, however we can't say yet if there will be any other blockers that we can't see yet. Also Steam does not support native ARM versions yet, so we will only be able to support our direct sales version (on farming-simulator.com) and the version sold on the Mac App store, unless Steam does add support for native ARM version in the meantime.
jfalky

Post by jfalky »

Stegei wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:43 pm Unfortunately the Apple ARM emulation (Rosetta) seems to be bugged at the moment and randomly causes the game code to crash.
We're currently investigating to find any workarounds, but I can't guarantee any success or timeline here. There is of course also the hope that Apple will fix this with a later OS/Rosetta update.

In the long term, we will also work on a native ARM version of the game to avoid Rosetta completely, however we can't say yet if there will be any other blockers that we can't see yet. Also Steam does not support native ARM versions yet, so we will only be able to support our direct sales version (on farming-simulator.com) and the version sold on the Mac App store, unless Steam does add support for native ARM version in the meantime.
Thanks! Its good to hear that a version so run natively in the ARM chip will be looked at!
Undeniabledwarf

Post by Undeniabledwarf »

Hello all,

I know there is no timeline, nevertheless I allow myself to ask the question if there is any development or workaround planned? Would be greatly appreciate. Thank you for all the great work over the years!

Cheers,
Dwarf
frequentfarmer

Post by frequentfarmer »

Hello,

I would like to second this. I am anxiously waiting to be able to play FS19 on my new M1 MacBook Air. The performance and graphics are awesome for the few seconds until the crash. I would greatly appreciate a patch.

Best,

Frequentfarmer
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I also bought the version in the Apple Store and was told by support that my MacBook Air with M1 was too low configuration even though it runs other games at max resolution like Euro Truck simulator 2 and Raise of the Tomb Raider. I have been reading that there might be a problem with the lights in FS that causes it to crash. Since other games does not crash, I think it should be possible to fix the Intel version to run on the M1. The native ARM version will be AWESOME! Looking forward to that version.
Jsammy23

Post by Jsammy23 »

Like a few others have stated, I downloaded the game on steam. It plays alright on parallels with windows ARM insider, but the frame rate can drop with many mods or congested maps. One of my favorite maps (Nebraska Lands) will not load at all.

I tried playing the Mac version of the game natively through steam and the game loads up and runs wonderful. Graphics are great, fps is a solid 60 and maybe higher if I unlocked the limiter. You can play, use mods, do anything like normal for anywhere from 45-120 seconds before the game simply crashes and the log isn't showing me why. This may be an issue that apple could address in a future Rosetta update, I'm not sure. However, this made me very hopeful for the future of gaming on this Mac mini with the M1 chip. Apple or Giants, whoever can get it done first I'm excited for the future on this thing. Certainly the future for apple so hopefully developers work on native support.

BTW I'm running the Mac mini m1 silicon with 8gb of ram.
frequentfarmer

Post by frequentfarmer »

Any news on this? After almost 4 months I am desperately waiting to be able to run FS19 on my M1 Mac...
2RoGaming

Post by 2RoGaming »

Still no new i formation on this matter? My soybeans must be super ready for harvest by now! :)
Dank45

Post by Dank45 »

I have recently bought the premium edition on steam for my m1 Mac and now unable to progress even through the character building part before the game crashes. Hope the giants software team does something about it or I would have to go for a refund :sadnew:
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Dank45 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 am I have recently bought the premium edition on steam for my m1 Mac and now unable to progress even through the character building part before the game crashes. Hope the giants software team does something about it or I would have to go for a refund :sadnew:
Or Apple could update their emulator?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

blue_painted wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:18 am Or Apple could update their emulator?
Yeah, cause that's a 20 minute Friday afternoon job... </sarcasm>

It's a very broad assumption that it's the "emulator".

Most likely an interaction problem between FS19 and Rosetta 2. Gonna be a pain to locate, diagnose and fix cause it's a game, and the way it works with the graphics subsystem. Something like a productivity application that uses Apple APIs would be more straightforward to recompile for ARM.

Publishers had some success with making old PowerPC games a Universal binary back in 2006/7, so it's possible.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

MagicBoy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:04 pm
blue_painted wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:18 am Or Apple could update their emulator?

Most likely an interaction problem between FS19 and Rosetta 2. Gonna be a pain to locate, diagnose and fix cause it's a game, and the way it works with the graphics subsystem. Something like a productivity application that uses Apple APIs would be more straightforward to recompile for ARM.

Publishers had some success with making old PowerPC games a Universal binary back in 2006/7, so it's possible.
Roesetta 2 is "the emulator" (noted here) so yes, it will be an interaction between Rosetta 2 (the emulator) and FS19. Given that the purpose of Rosetta is to run Intel code on an ARM processor and it doesn't, then this is a strong indication that the emulator, that is Rosetta, is imperfect in its emulation, and hence it should be for Apple to correct. I say "should be" because, as you've noted above for Power-PC code, this task has been pushed onto the developers in the past.

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
tekfranz

Post by tekfranz »

I am interested in the outcome of this, but it sounds like I should hold off on trying FS19 on the M1.
MagicBoy

Post by MagicBoy »

blue_painted wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Roesetta 2 is "the emulator" (noted here) so yes, it will be an interaction between Rosetta 2 (the emulator) and FS19. Given that the purpose of Rosetta is to run Intel code on an ARM processor and it doesn't, then this is a strong indication that the emulator, that is Rosetta, is imperfect in its emulation, and hence it should be for Apple to correct. I say "should be" because, as you've noted above for Power-PC code, this task has been pushed onto the developers in the past.
I'm an Apple certified support engineer, so I'm well versed in most things Mac and the plumbing under the GUI.

I stand by the previous post. Rosetta is a binary translation technology, it's not a virtualisation product that emulates the entire x64 instruction set. Rosetta 2 is trying it's best to translate a game engine designed to run on x64 and with a dGPU on a RISC ARM chip with integrated graphics. If I had to guess, the GPU support is likely where it's coming unstuck. Rosetta is intended to smooth the transition to Apple Silicon while developers like Giants work on a native version to run on Apple Silicon. They may patch up FS19, you may have to wait for FS22. Rosetta isn't a viable long term solution and has never been marketed as such by Apple.

So that's why I'm disagreeing with your pithy one liner that Apple can simply "update their emulator".
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

MagicBoy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:02 am
blue_painted wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm an Apple certified support engineer, so I'm well versed in most things Mac and the plumbing under the GUI.

I stand by the previous post. Rosetta is a binary translation technology, it's not a virtualisation product that emulates the entire x64 instruction set. Rosetta 2 is trying it's best to translate a game engine designed to run on x64 and with a dGPU on a RISC ARM chip with integrated graphics. If I had to guess, the GPU support is likely where it's coming unstuck. Rosetta is intended to smooth the transition to Apple Silicon while developers like Giants work on a native version to run on Apple Silicon. They may patch up FS19, you may have to wait for FS22. Rosetta isn't a viable long term solution and has never been marketed as such by Apple.

So that's why I'm disagreeing with your pithy one liner that Apple can simply "update their emulator".
But my one liner wasn't that Apple could simply update their emulator, although I agree it was a bit tongue in cheek. My assertion was that Apple should provide the remedy, since it was their actions and decisions in choosing ARM, or perhaps more accurately, in having chosen ARM in holding out Intel compatibility via Rosetta 2, that cause the problem.

However, I think we both know that solution isn't with either Apple or GIANTS, but instead with the compiler and when that is updated to generate ARM object code rather than Intel.