Mac M1 and FS19

jfalky

Mac M1 and FS19

Post by jfalky »

I am probably going to get shot down for this, but...

Is anyone using FS19 on a new M1 powered Mac?

I use Mac for video and photo editing, current iMac is a 2011 so is well out of date and won't run FS19 as it won't support Metal, which is a shame as its a fairly powerful machine! So currently running it on a laptop that isn't really up to it (2.5GHz i5 and 8 GB RAM with no dedicated graphics), it loves to get extremely hot and takes an age to load a game with anything more than a few machines in. I am looking at going down the Mac Mini route with the new M1 chip that seems to be ticking all the boxes on value for money and power and allows me to get a separate screen which will allow me to then run a PC alongside it in future (may or may not happen, it depends on a few things coming off for work!)

I am assuming it should support FS19 okay?

TIA
don_apple

Re: Mac M1 and FS19

Post by don_apple »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There is a report by somebody over in the german section who already tried running FS19 on a Mac with the new M1 chip, but discovered the the game is frequently crashing: viewtopic.php?f=956&t=173517

The main issue here will be that the game was written for intel processors, but the M1 processor is 'ARM' based, which means it has to emulate all the Intel specific code.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
Jsammy23

Post by Jsammy23 »

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP.
One thing to mention about the results from the German game version is that he said graphics were top notch on the Mac mini with M1 until the game crashes. I am very hopeful for the future of FS19 on the apple silicon chips and will be buying a Mac mini soon to try this out on myself.

This is the future of apple, so for the game to continue to be played on that OS we will have to adapt.
jfalky

Post by jfalky »

Thanks for the replies!

I have had a quick read of the German thread thanks to Google translate, as said above, the poster who has tried it seems to say it works really well until it crashes set to maximum on graphics settings, so could be to do with too high settings for the M1 to handle for now using the emulator?

The M1 seems to have loads of potential and all the reviews of it on YouTube seem to back this up, that it has massive power, and the Mini seems to be great value for money! a late Christmas present to myself in January I reckon!
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

don_apple wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:40 pm Hello and welcome to the forum!

There is a report by somebody over in the german section who already tried running FS19 on a Mac with the new M1 chip, but discovered the the game is frequently crashing: viewtopic.php?f=956&t=173517

The main issue here will be that the game was written for intel processors, but the M1 processor is 'ARM' based, which means it has to emulate all the Intel specific code.
Think you mean X86 chips.
Cause AMD processors run FS as well, not just Intel
Ignorance is bliss
Seppalie

Post by Seppalie »

I ran a MAC with M1 processor and also the FS19 with the resolution 2560x1440. The achieved refresh rates are better than with my iMac Pro. Since the FS19 was programmed for x86 architecture, the application is compiled via Rosetta 2. This seems to cause an error which crashes FS19 after a short time.
Reducing the image settings does not bring any improvement.
Thereupon I wrote to the Giants support and asked for a possible adaptation to the ARM architecture. Unfortunately I have to hear again and again that my Intel graphics is too weak. Which Intel graphics? Did I miss something?
Apparently, the support seems to have overslept the development at Apple and is constantly writing the same nonsense.
Since Apple will probably switch all their computers to ARM in the future, it can only be a matter of time until FS is adapted or set for MAC.
Probably Windows will run on the ARM processor before that.

I am still in good luck that Giants finds a capable head in the support department who gives me a reasonable and technically correct statement.

If one of you knows more, let me know!
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

Might not be the M1 ..I have a 16 inch Mac and when I played fs on it it would crash after a little or even on start up but then I got boot camp ( which is basically that you can run windows on a Mac and switch between the two) and that runs it fine (the windows side that is). So it might just be a thing with macs
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Seppalie

Post by Seppalie »

FSarndrone wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:50 pm Might not be the M1 ..I have a 16 inch Mac and when I played fs on it it would crash after a little or even on start up but then I got boot camp ( which is basically that you can run windows on a Mac and switch between the two) and that runs it fine (the windows side that is). So it might just be a thing with macs
I think it's not a basic MAC problem. As I said, on my iMac Pro the LS19 runs without crashes. I also don't remember any frequent crashes on my last MacBook Pro 15.
Besides, it would be a damn shame if Giants could distribute an unstable version for so long.
The M1 is not really the problem either. The software has not been adapted to the ARM architecture yet and Rosetta 2 is "only" an emulation environment to run x86 compatible software on the processor. The fact that thereby errors can develop, is nearly normal with the still recent market availability.
Does Giants not have a solution for your crash problems?

I want to know about Giants: Will there be a future native version of FS19 running on the MAC ARM processor?
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I don't think you will see an official answer on this soon. Consoles and PC's are running x86, so it means they have to port the game to be able to run on ARM. They did port FS17 to Switch, but they did not with 19 and bring the mobile version instead. So no, I don't think you can expect a native version for ARM soon. It's a miracle they do have a version for MAC, but now they have to so support a different architecture too. So my guess, they will not bring any new version for MAC in future, just x86 versions for console and Windows.

Also don't expect any updates to the game to run on ARM by emulation. It's up to Apple to give better support and better stability with emulation, but emulation always has many downsides so Apple takes a big risk here.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

Exactly and playing games on an Apple ARM, what the hell are we even talking about.... :lol:
Jsammy23

Post by Jsammy23 »

Seppalie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:20 pm I ran a MAC with M1 processor and also the FS19 with the resolution 2560x1440. The achieved refresh rates are better than with my iMac Pro. Since the FS19 was programmed for x86 architecture, the application is compiled via Rosetta 2. This seems to cause an error which crashes FS19 after a short time.
Reducing the image settings does not bring any improvement.
Thereupon I wrote to the Giants support and asked for a possible adaptation to the ARM architecture. Unfortunately I have to hear again and again that my Intel graphics is too weak. Which Intel graphics? Did I miss something?
Apparently, the support seems to have overslept the development at Apple and is constantly writing the same nonsense.
Since Apple will probably switch all their computers to ARM in the future, it can only be a matter of time until FS is adapted or set for MAC.
Probably Windows will run on the ARM processor before that.

I am still in good luck that Giants finds a capable head in the support department who gives me a reasonable and technically correct statement.

If one of you knows more, let me know!
Glad to hear you have reached out to Giants. I agree with you, this is the future of apple machines, expecting an iMac to be unveiled soon as well. Hopefully we will see a compromise somewhere soon via windows availability with the M1 or a stable version of the game with the new chip. Still impressed with such a baseline Mac mini to perform so well. This is really the only gaming I do on computers so the mini is seeming like a wonderful fit for my needs if this issue gets resolved.
jfalky

Post by jfalky »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:21 pm I've resisted so far but ....

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=737969643487888

:D
Haha! When I started the thread, I was thinking of this video, knowing someone would shoot me down! :lol:

This is the only gaming I do, and run Mac for FCP, the Mac Mini seems to have incredible power for its price tag and seems to tick all the boxes! And when/if i ever go back to needing a PC I have all the peripherals and can run them alongside each other (but really, I am always going to go for the Mac!).
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

jfalky wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 am

Haha! When I started the thread, I was thinking of this video, knowing someone would shoot me down! :lol:

This is the only gaming I do, and run Mac for FCP, the Mac Mini seems to have incredible power for its price tag and seems to tick all the boxes! And when/if i ever go back to needing a PC I have all the peripherals and can run them alongside each other (but really, I am always going to go for the Mac!).
It was only a friendly Nerf gun shoot-down :D

Mind you, I'd be interested in your price on Mac Mini, anything new in the UK is over £1,000
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
jfalky

Post by jfalky »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:39 am
jfalky wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 am

It was only a friendly Nerf gun shoot-down :D

Mind you, I'd be interested in your price on Mac Mini, anything new in the UK is over £1,000
When I say good value, I mean it's cheaper than an Intel iMac specced to run it similarly, with the added choice of keyboard, mouse and monitor to my own liking! (also in the UK, I would be going for standard 512Gb and 16GB ram machine at £1099)