ALFALFA?

texasplowboy

ALFALFA?

Post by texasplowboy »

So I started a new map that has ALFALFA. So in FS19 what can be done with it and whats the best way to harvest it?
Illinois Farmer

Re: ALFALFA?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Treat it like grass. Irl it gives me nutrients to cattle and sheep than grass, but game i don't think it matters.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

As Illinois Farmer said above, I don't believe there are any "real" benefits to alfalfa vs. grass. It's just an extra crop for variation. That said, I do believe it tends to yield higher than just plain grass. I couldn't confirm this, just what my [limited] experience has been with it.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

It depends if you play with the Maize Plus stuff or not.
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

I too am on my first run with Alfalfa and have a couple of questions. I planted a large amount on Stone Valley and plan to use it for hay and silage. It on the darkest green of growing stages now. I assume what I'm going to cut and bale for hay should be cut now? Also, for the silage, do I cut it now as well or should it eventually turn to the ready to harvest color and need to be cut then?
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
ATwoTonWooki

Post by ATwoTonWooki »

Does Ravensberg not have alfalfa or clover? Or do I need something else to plant and harvest? I have maize plus mod on.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

ATwoTonWooki wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:45 pm Does Ravensberg not have alfalfa or clover? Or do I need something else to plant and harvest? I have maize plus mod on.
Not yet. I believe it is coming in a future update.
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

Update... I attempted to mow Alfalfa in last green growth state; not happening. Haven't tried yet, but I assume i also need to wait on chopping it for silage?
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

So, back again. Alfalfa is showing in final growth state, I'm a bit impatient, no answers, so I try cutting a load to go towards silage. Btw, I'm on Stone Valley and PS4. I'm using the 8600i JD harvester with the hook lift rig (not sure what to think about it quite yet, but that's a different subject). As I'm cutting, I have green chaff exiting the pipe, but once in the hook lift container, it more or less ressembles harvested wheat. I fill the container, drop it, tote it to the bunker at cattle farm with the trusty Transtar and hooklift trailer, and I get the message that I cannot dump the material in the bunker. WTH?.

I'm obviously missing something here. Just wanted to have some silage, hay bales, and straw bales put away and ready for first delivery of cattle. Anyone else know a solution or what I may be doing wrong? :confusednew:
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
Lappin87

Post by Lappin87 »

AgPro Farms, I believe it because you can't make silage with Alfalfa on console unfortunately on Stone Valley. You can only bale it.
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

Looks like I'll have a lot of hay bales. Lol. Back to corn choppin' it is.
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Alfalfa?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

^^About right. Lol
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA
LuRcHiSbAkEd

Post by LuRcHiSbAkEd »

AgPro Farms wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:58 pm So, back again. Alfalfa is showing in final growth state, I'm a bit impatient, no answers, so I try cutting a load to go towards silage. Btw, I'm on Stone Valley and PS4. I'm using the 8600i JD harvester with the hook lift rig (not sure what to think about it quite yet, but that's a different subject). As I'm cutting, I have green chaff exiting the pipe, but once in the hook lift container, it more or less ressembles harvested wheat. I fill the container, drop it, tote it to the bunker at cattle farm with the trusty Transtar and hooklift trailer, and I get the message that I cannot dump the material in the bunker. WTH?.

I'm obviously missing something here. Just wanted to have some silage, hay bales, and straw bales put away and ready for first delivery of cattle. Anyone else know a solution or what I may be doing wrong? :confusednew:
I believe it's needs to be Tedder'd into hay to be used in Silage pits.
AgPro Farms

Post by AgPro Farms »

Soooo.... Does afalfa have to reach a certain growth stage before it can be mowed? It is on the final green stage now, but it can't be mowed. Looking to bale it for hay since using it for silage was a bust. Done with alfalfa after this round for sure.
AgPro Farms
PS4 User
Mississippi, USA