Best Crop Rotation

krateros

Best Crop Rotation

Post by krateros »

Hello all and happy new year! I was wondering if someone has made some optimal crop rotation plans to share with us. Thank you!
Mwal

Re: Best Crop Rotation

Post by Mwal »

For precision farming? Search redglasses, he was making spreadsheets on what crops for what benefit, should be a good place to start. Or are you wondering about just seasons alone? I can give ya all kinds of rotations for that.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

For Seasons rotations, I have a bunch in memory that I use on the US Midwest GEO. Oats/cotton cereal/soybeans/canola/soybeans corn/grass sunflowers/cereal with cereal being either a wheat, barley, or oat crop. You can play around with the rotation calendar a bunch if you're looking for Season rotations. But Precision Farming, I have no clue lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
krateros

Post by krateros »

So, let's say i would like to use a plan which contains the followings: wheat, barley, alfalfa, canola, lentils and chickpeas.
How would i do it? Can i use two wheats in a row? Which one would be the first crop and which one the last?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

The best thing to do is play around with the seasons rotation planner.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I a general rule, you don't want to have two crops back to back.

And (I'm assuming Seasons, don't know anything about Precision Farming) wheat & barley are the same crop type (cereal).

Play with the rotation planner and see which plan gets you the biggest yield bump.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

krateros wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm So, let's say i would like to use a plan which contains the followings: wheat, barley, alfalfa, canola, lentils and chickpeas.
How would i do it? Can i use two wheats in a row? Which one would be the first crop and which one the last?
Ok, so, I have a question and an answer. First, out of curiousity, what map are you playing on? And second, the main thing about seasons is you never want to plant a cereal type crop right after harvesting another cereal. You have to rotate between the different crop types. In the Seasons rotation planner (Left Alt + S, tab over a few), you'll find when you flick through the crop they all display their type outside of the box. Ones that come to my head are cereal (wheat, barley, oats, corn), legume (soybeans), oilseed (canola, sunflowers, oilseed radish), and grass (grass, cotton, sugarcane). Without Precision Farming, grasses are usually a good rotating crop for any crop, as they don't require much fertilizer (how Seasons simulates it). Legumes usually need to come after a cereal or an oilseed, like how I mentioned wheat/soybeans/canola/soybeans for a rotation. You also have to pay attention to when you plant. Some crops can only be planted in the spring. Corn/sunflowers might be a good back and forth rotation, but they're both spring planting/fall harvest crops, so if you wanted to double-crop, you can use that rotation. If that makes sense.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
krateros

Post by krateros »

Dairydeere wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:28 pm
krateros wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm So, let's say i would like to use a plan which contains the followings: wheat, barley, alfalfa, canola, lentils and chickpeas.
Ok, so, I have a question and an answer. First, out of curiousity, what map are you playing on?
I tried out "La Coronella" map and i have to say we need more Mediterranean maps.
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Thread necro…

Question I have is does anyone know how intermediate crop plantings effect the crop rotation system? For example, I’m playing on Gemeinde Rade and I’m looking at doing this crop rotation

1. Sugar Beet (1.20)
2. Green Rye (Grünroggen) (0.95)
3. Corn (0.95)

But, the green rye will be planted directly after the Sugar Beet harvest in Autumn Year 1 and then whole cropped for silage in Spring Year 2 ahead of planting of corn. So, effectively three crops in two years.

Or will it be treated as just:
1. Sugar Beet (1.08)
2. Corn (0.95)

As these will be the crops harvested last in the first two seasons? 🤔
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

Frozen Catalyst wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:04 pm 1. Sugar Beet (1.20)
2. Green Rye (Grünroggen) (0.95)
3. Corn (0.95)
It will be treated as ^^. The crop rotation system fully supports double/multiple cropping.
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Wonderful! Thanks 👍🏻
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

My standard rotation is canola (1.20), soybeans (.95), cereal (1.20). Soybeans might look like a bad idea because of the low yield bonus, but the final profit is actually higher than canola. It also helps most every other crop.

It also depends on what geo you use. In the standard geo, I sometimes do:

Canola (1.20)
Grass (???)
Soybeans (.95)
Cereal (1.20; wheat, barley, or oats)
Sugar beet (1.14)

I’ll plant grass right after I harvest canola to get a short cut in the fall and again in the spring before planting soybeans.

If you can double crop, like in the Midwest geo, you could do canola (1.20) and soybeans (.95) one year and wheat/barley/oats (1.20) and soybeans (.95) the next.
There’s no place like utopia.
JonOne

Post by JonOne »

I thought double cropping was in seasons as standard? Is it GEO specific?
Jon, 29
Somewhere near the River Parishes.
I enjoy long slow drives in my combine, cold starts and red bird win streaks.
Please don’t feed the trolls.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

JonOne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:32 pm I thought double cropping was in seasons as standard? Is it GEO specific?
Geo specific. Some timeframes don't allow for it or make it difficult to get crops off before the soil temp gets to low in the fall to seed a spring crop.
Some also only have 1 seeding window
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Honestly the best way to figure out a rotation for the crops you want is to spend time in the rotation calculator and get creative, just because it's what someone else did doesn't mean that is what you need to do.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.