Question for my Polish friends

pumpkinpatch

Question for my Polish friends

Post by pumpkinpatch »

I've been playing quite a few Polish maps lately and loving them. But I can't help but notice how many long, narrow fields they have. It's very convenient for farming. Just drive the combine up and down it a couple times and you're done. But it does make me wonder: Are the fields in Poland really like that? And if so, how did that come to be?
Dixie Farmer

Re: Question for my Polish friends

Post by Dixie Farmer »

Have a look on Google Earth, it looks like they do have long narrow fields, no idea why though.

Interesting question.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I'm think it's the inheritance system, similar to the Napoleonic code, where farms are sliced up equally between the survivors.

I could be wrong, of course :D
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 pm I've been playing quite a few Polish maps lately and loving them. But I can't help but notice how many long, narrow fields they have. It's very convenient for farming. Just drive the combine up and down it a couple times and you're done. But it does make me wonder: Are the fields in Poland really like that? And if so, how did that come to be?
I'd like to know as well why the field are like that. They do have a mixture though. Some fields are long and narrow and then you have huge, gigantic fields. It's weird. I was doing a satallite image search of Osina and found the mixture of both as the map is very accurate, as far as field dimensions.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I'm not Polish, but this has something to do with the Soviet period. Big fields where part of the state and after the Soviet era ends, they split the fields to small pieces and give individual farmers a small piece. Maybe now some fields are combined back together again, what explains the bigger fields.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

That could be, and were split into that shape due to the convenience the pumpkin patch discovered.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

I think that Poland has traditionally lots of small family-owned farms. Runned in old small villages. History, agriforestry and farming culture explains a lot why fields are shaped like that... but as a member of EU and farming nowdays where there is crazy pressure for big farming (*censored*) is changing things all over the world.

Here in Scandinavia we also have mostly family farms connected to agri-forestry but a lot of smaller farms quits every year and the bigger ones buy the lands etc. Good thing is that here the local agriculture and politics controls the changes with common sense. Dairy farms for example favor grass silage and non-antibiotic production. Off-topic little but no worriers ;)
pumpkinpatch

Post by pumpkinpatch »

Lexie wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 pm I'm not Polish, but this has something to do with the Soviet period. Big fields where part of the state and after the Soviet era ends, they split the fields to small pieces and give individual farmers a small piece. Maybe now some fields are combined back together again, what explains the bigger fields.
Very interesting. I was suspecting it might be something like that. Thanks for the reply!
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 am
Lexie wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 pm I'm not Polish, but this has something to do with the Soviet period. Big fields where part of the state and after the Soviet era ends, they split the fields to small pieces and give individual farmers a small piece. Maybe now some fields are combined back together again, what explains the bigger fields.
Very interesting. I was suspecting it might be something like that. Thanks for the reply!
I think it's older than that, I saw a reference to medieval strip-farming somewhere: I'll try to find it again.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads