Oxygendavid

Dairydeere

Re: Oxygendavid

Post by Dairydeere »

So, I think I have calmed down over the last few days. I had taken part in the locked threads that were involving this issue. This was partly due to some real life things that had me a little stressed, which therefore led to my mood on the forums. However, I'm happy to say I'm a bit more calm and have a better stance on the situation, which was improved by seeing a bit of interaction from a Giants employee (thank you Chris for bringing an update :thumbsup: ).

I still think Giants and modders have some improvement to do over communication. It's driven modders to leave the ModHub part of modding, while we hear little to nothing from Giants. I think the expressiveness of the modders' side got into my head a little, but the lack of communication has always been a problem. As players, I think we like to be informed about what happens, and when all we are able to hear is one side, we will side with them. We also seem to jump headfirst into it when, as Chris stated, it is still ongoing. There is currently no resolution, so we can only be patient and wait.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Seems strange given Oxy posted this on his discord today,and I'm not posting without having spoken with him before sharing this here.

"Hopefully today I can get the latest update of "Chellington Valley" on some well respected sites today.

Most of the items you guys have found are fixed or tweaked a little. No new save is required other than if you want to use the new improved tip collisions at pinecreek and ravenwood farm.

For the time being i am taking a break so hopefully update it again at a later date.

Thanks everyone 👍"

"As I won't ever deal with modhub ever again I can't see any of my maps coming to console ever again as giants are the only way you can get mods there and I can't see them ever changing that as there are to many limitations."
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

It sounds like Giants are just to slow to react to anything that's going on without clearing a corporate line first but their Q&A Team are still (slowly) plugging away at their side and getting under the skin of the people they deal with outside Giants.

Reading the post from Chris, he thinks things are still ongoing and being worked on. But reading the quote from Oxy, he says things are over and has moved on. I expect his has come to a head because the lack of decent communication from the black hole that is Giants, again.

Giants you have a problem with communication, you just don't do it. You were aware of this problem after the hell that was the starting days of FS19 and started to improve but you have gone back to the worst days again and just keep everyone in the dark. The FS community used to be great, a lot of it still is, but it's despite Giants rather than because of Giants.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:12 pm
Chaki wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:46 pm Sup everyone, as noted several times in this thread, we tend to keep discussions with modders as something between us and the modder as past interactions have shown that this is a better way for everyone involved.

Speaking of discussions with modders, those are still ongoing in this particular case.
There's a Pulp Fiction quote that would fit this perfectly :)
Sounds like some sort of fiction I'd say.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

A sincere question i'd have, is why don't Giants just hire these young folks on a freelance basis. It's obvious Giants makes enough money, their game apparently did well, and it's possible if they're employees of Giants, they'd have the hardware and the guidance as to prevent some of these sticky issues. And so it would be a win for both of them. As gamers, maybe it would be possible given this alliance to see many more maps and mods, coming out even more frequently.
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:51 pm A sincere question i'd have, is why don't Giants just hire these young folks on a freelance basis. It's obvious Giants makes enough money, their game apparently did well, and it's possible if they're employees of Giants, they'd have the hardware and the guidance as to prevent some of these sticky issues. And so it would be a win for both of them. As gamers, maybe it would be possible given this alliance to see many more maps and mods, coming out even more frequently.
Why pay someone who works for free/finds there own income from patron?
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

The whole situation with Giants and modders just seems so weird and generally terrible. Like modders are treated with a certain begrudging reluctance despite the fact that if it wasn't for modders, particularly map modders like OxygenDavid, the game would be NOTHING.

I've really got into playing the new Flight Simulator since it came out last August and the whole relationship with the studio that makes it Asobo Studios and the modders that make content for it is so different. Giants could learn a lot. The flight sim community is so friendly, inclusive and helpful. Modders for flight sim are on board with so many of the decisions made with the sim. Its one big collaborative effort.

The big reason for that in some ways is that players in the flight sim community are happy to pay for top quality mods. Something which has never gone down well in the farming sim community. You want someone like OxygenDAvid to go on making the amazing quality maps you all enjoy then you pay him to do it. I know Giants have built a different model but you can see how with situations like this that model doesn't work because the whole thing isn't very professional and is half baked. Its all done for free. Great! Except its not great if Giants aren't going to invest in it, for whatever reason.

In the flight sim world there is still plenty freeware out there but the top quality stuff is paid for because its top quality. I'd happily pay for a map of the quality OxygenDavid makes. Wouldn't you?
Last edited by Mobias on Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wombles

Post by wombles »

norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm Seems strange given Oxy posted this on his discord today,and I'm not posting without having spoken with him before sharing this here.

"Hopefully today I can get the latest update of "Chellington Valley" on some well respected sites today.

Most of the items you guys have found are fixed or tweaked a little. No new save is required other than if you want to use the new improved tip collisions at pinecreek and ravenwood farm.

For the time being i am taking a break so hopefully update it again at a later date.

Thanks everyone 👍"

"As I won't ever deal with modhub ever again I can't see any of my maps coming to console ever again as giants are the only way you can get mods there and I can't see them ever changing that as there are to many limitations."

Looks like i'm going to have to join Oxy's discord, i joined his facebook a month or two ago, still trying too figure it out :lol:. might drop facebook and just use his discord. Thanks for the update Norfolk.

Sad day for the console player's.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Oof payware on flight sim, not everyone csn go down that route, its usually the big mod companies do that
eric21

Post by eric21 »

wombles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:27 pm
norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm Seems strange given Oxy posted this on his discord today,and I'm not posting without having spoken with him before sharing this here.

Thanks everyone 👍"

Looks like i'm going to have to join Oxy's discord, i joined his facebook a month or two ago, still trying too figure it out :lol:. might drop facebook and just use his discord. Thanks for the update Norfolk.

Sad day for the console player's.
So it seems there was restrictions which he couldn't manage
Guil

Post by Guil »

Anyone remember the time Lars spilled the beans on the Peter J fiasco? that was good community engagement which saw the truth released, not saying this situation is the same but clarity or anything is better than nothing. Edited as I didn't read Chris' comment first
redbull-man82

Post by redbull-man82 »

Some of the limitations are set by microsoft an sony as they wont let scripts on console if the did it would be a lot more easy for the modder as the wouldnt need to take a lot out of there mods the only way to get said scripts is if giants put them in base game like they did with seasons . An of wot ive been told by people is that the test team are not employed by giants they are freelance bit like the job i do were we sub work out . The way oxy has been treated is out of order tho he was there top map maker the way he got so much detail in his maps not many come close on the modhub im not bashing other modders outthere he just does it better
redbull-man82

Post by redbull-man82 »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 pm Anyone remember the time Lars spilled the beans on the Peter J fiasco? that was good community engagement which saw the truth released, not saying this situation is the same but clarity or anything is better than nothing. Edited as I didn't read Chris' comment first
Yeah i remember that
Guil

Post by Guil »

For console, licencing is the biggest problem afaik, lot's of script mods have alternate keybindings which don't exist on console
redbull-man82

Post by redbull-man82 »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:54 pm For console, licencing is the biggest problem afaik, lot's of script mods have alternate keybindings which don't exist on console
Yeah that aswell . Yeah theres only so many button configs you can do with a controller