Oxygendavid

redbull-man82

Re: Oxygendavid

Post by redbull-man82 »

The funny thing is we didnt have that problem in 17 as we got heron an mchale to name a few on console . The thing is mchale didnt like it an told both giants an the modder to stop or they would take them to court over it . thats wot i was told
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

dapals51 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:51 pm A sincere question i'd have, is why don't Giants just hire these young folks on a freelance basis. It's obvious Giants makes enough money, their game apparently did well, and it's possible if they're employees of Giants, they'd have the hardware and the guidance as to prevent some of these sticky issues. And so it would be a win for both of them. As gamers, maybe it would be possible given this alliance to see many more maps and mods, coming out even more frequently.
Why pay someone who works for free/finds there own income from patron?
Being idt the current way of doing things will be sustainable in the long run. On the one hand, Modders aren't going to get much from Patreon, if they're not modding for FS.

On the other hand, it seems Giants are put in somewhat of a bind being too interdependent on modders. And so it seems to me a win win for both parties, and we as gamers if they just hired them.
RED_Smith

Post by RED_Smith »

I don't usually get involved in these types of threads because I don't know enough about the subject matter. But I will this time. I did a little, and I mean little, research just today. First thing I learned, from this interview article in January last year https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/10/gian ... simulator/ is that back then they only had 75 employees, with offices in Erlangen - Germany, Schlieren/Zürich - Switzerland, Brno - Czech Republic and Chicago - USA. After you account for a CEO/President, CTO (it is a gaming company), a CFO, At least 4 Office Managers, an accounting staff (controller, Sr acct, A/R clerk, AP Clerk), HR and and assistant, Community co-ordinator(s). I am probably missing one or two, so you are down to about 60 workers. That's 60 workers to do all the work, from making new maps (OxygenDavid even said that is 1,000's of hours per map) , new equipment (just had a DLC), internal and external Q&A, R&D for new stuff, core engine maintenance and support, Web developers, and I'm sure I'm missing more. They are on PC, XBox, PS4, and the January article said Stadia as well.

I also visited this place https://www.giants-software.com/jobs.php Assuming this is current, then we get a look at what it takes to work at Giants.

Based on these two links, the sheer number of new/ updated mods that come in, new maps that come in, and new internal content, I have to ask if 60 workers is enough to handle the work load. If it takes 1,000's of hours to make a map, it makes sense that it would take many hours to properly QA one. Please do not look at this as a defense of GIANTS. A proper company needs to make sure they are providing their people with all the tools they need to do their jobs. That means planning for scaling up the business, front end support, backend support and the people power to do the work. This planning is can be a difficult thing to balance, a lot of companies have trouble getting it right.

I always thought until today that GIANTS was a BIG company (maybe it was the name?), but they are just 75+ people.

A company that has a software game which they have to keep going and add content to. A software they are supporting on multiple platforms (PC, Xbox, PS4). Then they have to manage their online presence including this forum, and all of the personalities that go with it. That is a LOT to manage. Are they doing it well? That is the question. Communications and relative transparency go a long ways in helping.

A games community is their life blood, a make or break thing. I can only watch and see how GIANTS is going to handle it.

Sorry this is long.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

RED_Smith wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:15 pm That's 60 workers to do all the work, from making new maps (OxygenDavid even said that is 1,000's of hours per map) , new equipment (just had a DLC), internal and external Q&A, R&D for new stuff, core engine maintenance and support, Web developers, and I'm sure I'm missing more. They are on PC, XBox, PS4, and the January article said Stadia as well.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Giants don't themselves make all the models for the equipment. Its contracted out to third party studios. It wouldn't surprise me if some other development stuff is contracted out too. Seems to be the way these days.
wombles

Post by wombles »

eric21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:33 pm So it seems there was restrictions which he couldn't manage
How do you work that out Eric?
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Mobias wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:23 pm
RED_Smith wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:15 pm That's 60 workers to do all the work, from making new maps (OxygenDavid even said that is 1,000's of hours per map) , new equipment (just had a DLC), internal and external Q&A, R&D for new stuff, core engine maintenance and support, Web developers, and I'm sure I'm missing more. They are on PC, XBox, PS4, and the January article said Stadia as well.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Giants don't themselves make all the models for the equipment. Its contracted out to third party studios. It wouldn't surprise me if some other development stuff is contracted out too. Seems to be the way these days.
I think you're right, there was someone on this forum who said their wife was contracted to make the model for the John Deere 9RX in the Bourgault DLC.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
eric21

Post by eric21 »

wombles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:09 pm
eric21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:33 pm So it seems there was restrictions which he couldn't manage
How do you work that out Eric?
He mentions restrictions on the consoles unless I misread
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:12 pm
I think you're right, there was someone on this forum who said their wife was contracted to make the model for the John Deere 9RX in the Bourgault DLC.
I thought it was John deere who sends thier models
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

sad news ... i liked oxygen's work very much (in 17 and 19)
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

eric21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm

I think that person's wife worked for John Deere an it was the JD cotton picker she worked on.

You could also be right about 9RX not sure about that one.
Wolf Farming

Post by Wolf Farming »

I dunno I kinda hope that this whole situation gets resolved but by the looks of things oxy isn’t going to comeback to modhub
Steam: Grey Wolf
Pc only
Farming simulator 15,17,19,22
Currently playing: court farm
Fav tractor: challenger John Deere
redbull-man82

Post by redbull-man82 »

Wolf Farming wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:40 pm I dunno I kinda hope that this whole situation gets resolved but by the looks of things oxy isn’t going to comeback to modhub
Think people forget how hard oxy has worked the past year on maps he is burntout. He needs time to himself he has said it himself in discord today
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Chaki wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:46 pm Speaking of discussions with modders, those are still ongoing in this particular case.
Something as simple as this goes a long way in terms of stopping hearsay.

(When used early/preventively)

Just Spitballing:
Maybe we could get an explanation from the Q/A Tester(s) on their view of this occurence...? None of us know what the GIANTS/QA perspective is so everyone goes from what modders say... which of course is biased to their view.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:59 pm
eric21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm

I think that person's wife worked for John Deere an it was the JD cotton picker she worked on.

You could also be right about 9RX not sure about that one.

Hey I'm remembered! Or rather Mrs. Kimpak is. She's an engineer on the cotton team at JD. She stripped down the actual company model they use for actual engineering to make it functional for a game model. That's what was shipped off to Giants. I'm not sure if they modified it from there or not, but Giants certainly didn't have to start from zero on the model. No idea if that's how Giants got the models for other JD equipment in the game, I only know Cotton.
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Thank you Chaki for confirming things are being discussed, hopefully a resolution will come shortly.
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420