Oxygendavid

Mwal

Re: Oxygendavid

Post by Mwal »

I think people who keep saying the community just shouldn’t care or should keep their nose out of it vastly underestimates the communities role in things like this. To put it simply if no one cared about what happened and didn’t care whether the map map made it why would Giants? We don’t need to know all the details of what’s going on but we can civilly question and fill social media with questions to show the bulk of the fan base is interested in a certain outcome.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Well said Mwal..........Well said.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 pm I think people who keep saying the community just shouldn’t care or should keep their nose out of it vastly underestimates the communities role in things like this. To put it simply if no one cared about what happened and didn’t care whether the map map made it why would Giants? We don’t need to know all the details of what’s going on but we can civilly question and fill social media with questions to show the bulk of the fan base is interested in a certain outcome.
True but most people immediately jump into “GIANTS hates modders and I hate GIANTS and are never buying another game from them” and immediately forget about giving any thought to potential biases in what they’ve heard or that they don’t have the full story of the reasons something happened.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Mwal wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 pm I think people who keep saying the community just shouldn’t care or should keep their nose out of it vastly underestimates the communities role in things like this. To put it simply if no one cared about what happened and didn’t care whether the map map made it why would Giants? We don’t need to know all the details of what’s going on but we can civilly question and fill social media with questions to show the bulk of the fan base is interested in a certain outcome.
Of course we should care, but we should have no part to play in whether a mod is uploaded or not and there's no reason we should know if a mod has issues beyond the modder giving updates if they choose.

The same should have applied to the situation over Christmas as, from the outside, it set a bad precedent that they were reinstated so readily.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

this_is_gav wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:40 pm
Of course we should care, but we should have no part to play in whether a mod is uploaded or not and there's no reason we should know if a mod has issues beyond the modder giving updates if they choose.

The same should have applied to the situation over Christmas as, from the outside, it set a bad precedent that they were reinstated so readily.
100%

The bad thing about that precedent is that some will assume that if the community makes enough noise that GIANTS will do what they want.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Or on the other hand the precedent set is that giants is willing to give the community that buys their game what they want
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Which isn't necessarily a good thing...
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

So what is then? Explain your point. Potentially lose money and ignore the problems all together? Companies play a lot of money to have people run their social media and help with problems like this, so are you saying they should just have them ignore it? The idea of this precedent is ridiculous as well this precedent you speak of this tough and firm boundary it doesn’t work. They aren’t the government they are trying to sell something, the precedent is whatever it needs to be to make money. That’s the problem with thinking about everything philosophically most of the time it’s just not that complicated.
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

I feel that Giants has forgotten at times that it's modders like OxygenDavid and BulletBill for example--there's WAY too many to name-- who have had a DIRECT impact on the popularity and playerbase growth over the years. I probably wouldn't be playing this game if it weren't for the mods these people do.

Over the years, some great mods have changed the game, and now, are part of the base game itself. For example, back with FS15 I think it was, a modder with the name of Decker (can't remember full name) came out with "Soil Management" I think it was, which introduced Lime and Weeds into the game and had a great impact on the game and how you played it. Then CoursePlay and Seasons came along and added whole new levels to the game. I see them them, or variations thereof, being added into the base game pretty soon.

If it weren't for the mods, I seriously doubt I would have been playing this series for so long. At times, I think Giants forgets WHO has helped them to get to where they are today and where they could be without them in the future.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 pm So what is then? Explain your point. Potentially lose money and ignore the problems all together? Companies play a lot of money to have people run their social media and help with problems like this, so are you saying they should just have them ignore it? The idea of this precedent is ridiculous as well this precedent you speak of this tough and firm boundary it doesn’t work. They aren’t the government they are trying to sell something, the precedent is whatever it needs to be to make money. That’s the problem with thinking about everything philosophically most of the time it’s just not that complicated.
Because every time from know GIANTS enforces their rules and IP/Copyright on a modder everyone will throw a fit expecting to get their way.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:28 pm
Because every time from know GIANTS enforces their rules and IP/Copyright on a modder everyone will throw a fit expecting to get their way.
And that’s my point, thank you. You said to keep your nose out of it except it seems not to be the case when you don’t agree with the outcome. You also don’t know what came out of the Christmas conversations so what is the difference between these two issues? Giants heard the case from the modders and the community and made a decision and you have a result much like you’re calling for now. So I fail to see how the two are any different other than what I mentioned, that you didn’t like their decision.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Jlf85 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:03 pm
Guil wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 pm Anyone remember the time Lars spilled the beans on the Peter J fiasco? that was good community engagement which saw the truth released, not saying this situation is the same but clarity or anything is better than nothing. Edited as I didn't read Chris' comment first
I've been around here since 2017 or so--I find that when Lars was around, things were much more communicative--for lack of a better word--there was more transparency and just more info from Giants, period... it's sad to me that that's no longer the case.
Partly because when I was a mod I used to hound him for info and to reply to things I couldn't answer or make a guess at :lol:
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:28 pm
And that’s my point, thank you. You said to keep your nose out of it except it seems not to be the case when you don’t agree with the outcome. You also don’t know what came out of the Christmas conversations so what is the difference between these two issues? Giants heard the case from the modders and the community and made a decision and you have a result much like you’re calling for now. So I fail to see how the two are any different other than what I mentioned, that you didn’t like their decision.
What result am I calling for?
And also since when should community who only knows what modders say get to decide matters?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 pm
What result am I calling for?
And also since when should community who only knows what modders say get to decide matters?
Re-read what I wrote I never said the community decides. I said Giants does after weighing everything they hear from all parties including the community asking for a resolution. You say over and over to keep your nose out of this issue and over and over criticize people for criticizing Giants for this issue because they don’t have the facts, then you yourself criticize giants for the Christmas issue... which we also don’t have the facts.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I and many others have criticized GIANTS for their lack of communication which spawns many problems.
And we all should think about this as knowing what is going on is important but refrain from just simply bashing GIANTS and/or modders as so many YouTube commenters and Facebook commenters seem to do, we should watch and listen and listen but let them figure it out.