Soil sample questions

FarmerDan72

Soil sample questions

Post by FarmerDan72 »

Do you have to sample every bit of each field? If you didn't take any samples in a given field with this mod activated, do PH and nitrogen still affect yield, or would it just defer to standard base game lime and fertilizer application? Does a sample need to be taken to trigger everything?

What I'm wondering is if you can just take enough spot samples around a big field to get a good idea of the soil pattern without having to sample the entire field. It seems like you could manually adjust the application rates with reasonable assumptions of soil types where samples weren't taken. Maybe this would be more tedious than just sampling the whole thing...just wondering.
PS4
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Re: Soil sample questions

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

All the field has to be sampled for the correct rate of PH an N to be applied, you cant lime or fertilise a field that hasn't been previously sampled, also if you only sample patches of the field the lime an fertiliser wont get applied to the parts not sampled,
Last edited by Feirmeoir Eireannach on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I see, so it won't even apply any at all if it doesn't have the soil data. Thank you for the answer.
PS4
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:21 pm All the field has to be sampled for the correct rate of PH an N to be applied, you cant lime or fertilize a field that hasn't been previously sampled, also if you only sample patches of the field the lime an fertilizer wont get applied to the parts not sampled,
If you sampled patches of the field to get an understanding of your soil, and then put the machine on manual and adjusted the nitrogen yourself would it not work then? Not that I would do that but it seems like it should. Unless even on manual it still shuts the nitrogen off when you hit the untested plots?
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
Feirmeoir Eireannach

I know exactly what you mean but wouldn't the parts of the field not sampled have no data on the PF map, so in that case if you spread fertiliser an lime on them parts of field will it actually make any difference.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:31 pm I see, so it won't even apply any at all if it doesn't have the soil data. Thank you for the answer.
No, my understanding is it will apply just not at variable rate to match the soil, so some spots will be over/under limed or fertilized. And you won’t know where those spots are or how much it actually affects the soil.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Feirmeoir Eireannach

DEERE317 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:03 pm
FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:31 pm I see, so it won't even apply any at all if it doesn't have the soil data. Thank you for the answer.
No, my understanding is it will apply just not at variable rate to match the soil, so some spots will be over/under limed or fertilized. And you won’t know where those spots are or how much it actually affects the soil.
That answers it better, I just presumed it wasn't applying any when you couldn't check before sampling, I was wrong do
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

IRL you can apply without testing or variable rate, just it may or may not be right.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.