A question for modders

L2K Perma

Re: A question for modders

Post by L2K Perma »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm There is the modding forum you have to join to get GE so...
I think what Guil suggested would be a better option. To be honest, I don’t even think I’ve ever really looked at the gdn forums.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I can’t say I did either during my attempt to make a CIH DC133.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
oyeebodcc

Post by oyeebodcc »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:03 pm
oyeebodcc wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:52 am
blue_painted wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:28 am I remember Rathlin on FS17 -- a map I had a lot of fun on.

I don't think the fundamentals have really changed: you still *can* use other people's models but only with their permission, that hasn't changed from FS17. It gets complicated when models get used, re-used and re--reused ... after all, who made the washing line that you see on almost every map ever? The GIANTS DLC is different, because in that case they choose NOT to give permission, just as any modder can.
Exactly my point, unless you know every map that's out there how do you know who to credit if you re-use a model. When the Modhub first started I thought it would be a good thing to have a central point where all mods would be submitted and we could find out who to credit for an object. Unfortunately getting a map onto Modhub has proved so difficult that a large percentage of them are released through other sites.
I agree with you back on FS-UK when I was first making mod maps there was a healthy respect between modders and asking permission was the rule not the exception it is now.

Sadly since that time newer mappers feel there is no need to ask permission, that they can take what they want and upload it to Modhub to make a few pennies. If it was the odd object I think the majority of modders wouldn't care, but when you get mappers taking the actual DEM terrain map and rotating it 90°, not to mention stripping out every asset from one of your own maps and not once have they asked permission that starts to make people a bit defensive.

It doesn't help that GIANTS have this weird policy on Modhub that you can't add any credits section in the description. Everytime I tried to I was told to remove it and I know other modders have been told the same.

As there is no longer any central modding community there is nowhere for modders to interact as a whole. Instead the community is just fragmented groups. That isolation doesn't help either.

Lastly just wanted to say I always liked your Rathin Island map, it had such a unique, original feel about it. Especially the ferry between the two parts of the map.
Sorry, have been busy for a few days and dropped the ball on this post which I started. Only a short rant this time and yes BulletBill it's your fault.
I had hoped to engage the opinions of a few more modders but I'm not surprised that I haven't. Really the reason I'm back on the thread is the first line of BulletBills post and I quote
"I agree with you back on FS-UK when I was first making mod maps there was a healthy respect between modders and asking permission was the rule not the exception it is now."
Now I realise there are some new modders out there producing brilliant UK maps and I'm not going to name them in case I leave someone out, But I stopped producing maps for exactly the same reasons as BulletBill and I now fear Oxy (appologies for even putting myself in the same sentence and that's not blowing smoke up their a**e, it's just respect for their skills) but how many more great modders who are now producing maps will go the same way when they finally get ground down.
I think this game still has a long way to go as long as the community stays behind it but unless someone or some group can pull things back together I think it will fragment and disappear.
In short I agree with BulletBill, the UK map builders need to regain the respect there used to be and I think the way to do it is a modding community similar to what FS-UK used to be. Just look at some of the European maps which have been produced by modders working together. We have great model builders and great map builders, just think what they could produce if they were working together.
PC MSI GE75 Raider
AUthor Rathlin Island FS17 Ballydorn Farm FS17/19