Dear Giants, I want to feed my cows

Illinois Farmer

Re: Dear Giants, I want to feed my cows

Post by Illinois Farmer »

We give our beef cattle high moisture corn that goes they a rolling mill to get cracked so the cattle can digest it better otherwise they will poop out while kernels. We also give them corn/ wheat/oat silage depending where it is on the harvester and give them hayliage. We also have mineral for them and mineral blocks in the troughs. When we first get a new batch we feed them very little of that mixture and we give them hay bales on top of it to get them eating better. A key to starting out feeding them is to leave them wanting more, if you over feed them, then you can kill them.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Ashely86

Post by Ashely86 »

This with regional feed rations would be very creative.
Aggie24

Post by Aggie24 »

Definitely you have too start them on a high roughage diet and make sure they are slicking the bunks.
Dorsai

Post by Dorsai »

Where i am from cow, calf operations fed there cattle on the ground, alfalfa hay, mountain hay depending on local supply being produced. Alfalfa cake (cubes) should operation decide to use based on cost. Most all of these operations had cattle on the open range non were brought into barns during winter. Feeding hay is simple, load 30-60 bales on a flatbed truck, drive to feed area on range, place truck in 4 wheel low, granny gear of truck, start truck rolling forward, get out climb on back of truck, using hay knife cut open bales, dump hay off of moving truck all the while keeping an eye on where driver less truck is heading, jump off bed, jump in cab turn truck around, rinse an repeat till all hay is off of truck. Ration that the ranch i worked for used 60 pound bale would feed 3 head of cattle.
Back in the day:
Owner/operator L Lazy M Hereford Ranch
Plays FS22 on a pc
"Put on a cowboy hat lose your mind" :hi:
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:42 pm I think there are so many things still on the maize plus I don't like but that's because it doesn't fit my area but European area which is completely different.
I'm fairly sure on the maize plus discord that there is a section relating to editing the animal feed xml so it can be customised too suit individual needs/wants.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

wombles wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:38 pm I know this is no consolation too console player's, but this thread really has made me appreciate the maize plus mod. If asked earlier would it have been in my top ten mods, i'd have said no. Now it would be in the top five.
I've liked maize plus since it first came out, but now i really like the complete farming agency package and pretty much won't play a map without it. I'm in the process of trying too add it/ completely breaking my personal edit of Meadowgrove, so far we are in the breaking catagory :lol:
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

norfolk farmer wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:18 am
Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:42 pm I think there are so many things still on the maize plus I don't like but that's because it doesn't fit my area but European area which is completely different.
I'm fairly sure on the maize plus discord that there is a section relating to editing the animal feed xml so it can be customised too suit individual needs/wants.
This right here, I know a few friends have been helping me with learning MaizePlus, but Diniz's edit to Mercer County is basically what I would edit it to haha.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Dorsai

Post by Dorsai »

i also use maize plus, gives me option of feeding less or all options available.
Back in the day:
Owner/operator L Lazy M Hereford Ranch
Plays FS22 on a pc
"Put on a cowboy hat lose your mind" :hi:
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Dairydeere wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:20 pm
norfolk farmer wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:18 am
This right here, I know a few friends have been helping me with learning MaizePlus, but Diniz's edit to Mercer County is basically what I would edit it to haha.
You create afolder called maizePlus and add an additionnal .xml file into the root folder of the map with all the modification you want to make to the feeding system.

You just take the "animalfood.xml" that comes with the MaizePlus Forage extension, put it in that new folder, rename it, and make the change you want.

Few tests are needed, but when you get it to work, that's pretty easy and awesome.

That's what I did and I carry over this additionnalfood.xml on everymap now to have the same receipe.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)