Console and Giants.

Mwal

Re: Console and Giants.

Post by Mwal »

The entire farming genre is a niche genre. I’m not sure there is enough room for multiple games or if there’s enough profit margin for a high end farming simulator series to be developed. I would also like to hear how many people who say the game needs a competitor have actually purchased the competitions game, because poor sales is part of the reason they have never gone anywhere but steaming piles of stuff.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:35 pm The entire farming genre is a niche genre. I’m not sure there is enough room for multiple games or if there’s enough profit margin for a high end farming simulator series to be developed. I would also like to hear how many people who say the game needs a competitor have actually purchased the competitions game, because poor sales is part of the reason they have never gone anywhere but steaming piles of stuff.
And what “competition” that does exist, is in the form of C & C (which has yet to “put GINATS in their place” like many think it will for the last however many years, or games like Pure Farming or Farmers Dynasty, which I can’t say anything on Pure Farming other than that’s it’s name, and Farmer’s Dynasty is essentially in another genre from FS. Otherwise very narrow sighted and poor quality games come to mind, the closest thing to an actual competitor would be Farming USA 2 which I can only describe as a Zombie game (not sure when the newest update was) with a a terrible camera and FS13/15 hybrid graphics. And is mobile only so can’t compete with FS19.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

GIANTS themselves clearly saw some threat from C & C otherwise they wouldn't have signed an exclusive deal with Horsch (leading to Horsch removing themselves from C & C before release) and they wouldn't censor them on these forums. Presumably they still do to some degree, otherwise they'd have long removed that censorship.

C & C could have been a threat when it was conceived before FS17, and appeared to make promising progress at the time, and rather embarrassingly still leaves Farm Sim a long way behind in some areas. It's obviously it's not a threat now, but clearly GIANTS were sufficiently worried at one stage.

C & C probably made the most promising case for a rival yet, and certainly did extremely well for a team much smaller than GIANTS, but like others it doesn't look like it's going to make any impact.

At one point though a bigger company will throw some clout towards a farming game, as the genre has clearly got legs, and GIANTS will need to rely heavily on their good relations with their partners if they're not going to be stuck behind an exclusivity wall themselves. Another reason why GIANTS might not want to be hamstrung by nearly decade old console architecture for their next release.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

this_is_gav wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm GIANTS themselves clearly saw some threat from C & C otherwise they wouldn't have signed an exclusive deal with Horsch (leading to Horsch removing themselves from C & C before release) and they wouldn't censor them on these forums. Presumably they still do to some degree, otherwise they'd have long removed that censorship.

C & C could have been a threat when it was conceived before FS17, and appeared to make promising progress at the time, and rather embarrassingly still leaves Farm Sim a long way behind in some areas. It's obviously it's not a threat now, but clearly GIANTS were sufficiently worried at one stage.

C & C probably made the most promising case for a rival yet, and certainly did extremely well for a team much smaller than GIANTS, but like others it doesn't look like it's going to make any impact.

At one point though a bigger company will throw some clout towards a farming game, as the genre has clearly got legs, and GIANTS will need to rely heavily on their good relations with their partners if they're not going to be stuck behind an exclusivity wall themselves. Another reason why GIANTS might not want to be hamstrung by nearly decade old console architecture for their next release.
I expect GIANTS viewed C & C as a threat initially, seeing as how it advertises itself as a realism simulator and the fact I’m pretty sure a couple modders jumped onto the dev team, but since then it seems to have a decent engine and mechanics but limited vehicles and probably to much realism for many players so it’s kinda flopped along, fulfilling a valid niche in the niche farming game genre, a realistic tractor/farm simulator (almost complementary to Farmers Dynasty and it’s realistic farm life sim niche) but isn’t a easy to play causally/quickly farming game that is nearly universal in features and play styles like the FS Franchise.
In my case I’ve went from a causal driving tractors around play style to a causally realistic farm operating play style all within FS15 and FS19 (2yrs, but Seasons in large part drove that change)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
JamP

Post by JamP »

I still think they raised this issue of producing the game for the previous generation in the community to blame the community at one point for choosing to bring the next game to the previous generation and put the blame on the game's own community just being more of the same. But it's just my opinion.

For me, it is hopeful that I am wrong, the game is already ready and yes, will run on the first xbox.

I think so because I played world of tanks for a long time on Xbox one and WG (developer company) had not abandoned for many many years the development on Xbox 360 and blamed in a way the previous generation for the lack of many news in the game. After many, many years they abandoned the 360. The financial spreadsheet must have seen that it was no longer profitable in that generation.

What I mean is ... As one is that as they are a small company (Giants) compared to the others, dropping the previous generation at that point might be a shot in the foot financially for them.

Many are still in the past generation and will be until the next year or two.
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
eric21

Post by eric21 »

WoT is mainly aimed at the younger audience and its arcade gameplay, which is why they stuck with the 360 for a while.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's absolute rubbish. There is upwards of 150k players on the eu server alone on pc at any time throughout the day. There is many players 30 and up. Granted the console variants are different but again, no comparison to how a game like fs runs
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Talking about next gen consoles, seems theres production issues, from my local newspaper.

"It appears there have been technical issues behind the rollout of the PS5.

In an interview with Ars Technica, Sony's chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki said: "It is difficult for us to increase production of the PS5 amid the shortage of semiconductors and other components.

"We have not been able to fully meet the high level of demand from customers. We continue to do everything in our power to ship as many units as possible to customers who are waiting for a PS5."

Why is demand so high for a PS5?

UK retailers have remained tightlipped over when and where fresh stock of the PS5 will be made available, as demand has outstripped supply.

GAME and Smyth's recently saw a surge in customer traffic to their websites after word spread stocks had been replenished.

Such is demand, retailers are selling out again within minutes leaving many gamers in the wilderness without the latest PlayStation console.

ShopTo made further stock available on Friday 12 February but promptly told people positioned above 2,000 in the queue to step down as there wasn't enough to go around.

Where is restocking PS5?

Online tipster @UKPS5Notify posted on Twitter that payments for the new PS5 would be made on 23 February.

The account posted: “GAME's #PlayStation5 is 100% confirmed for TODAY! Payments for orders will start being taken from 23rd Feb. Last went live at 9:45am”

Another anonymous Twitter account @PS5StockAlertUK posted: “Lots of you asking the time GAME will drop. There’s no exact time but it’s expected to be between 8am-1pm.”

Argos has been tipped to have stock available soon by the same account, along with Amazon UK and very.co.uk in the coming weeks.

Gamers will want to keep tabs of all the major retailers over the coming days – links below – as reports suggest a big restocking of the PS5.

How much does a PS5 cost?

Sony has released two PS5 consoles with the main one, which features an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive, priced at £449.99 and a digital-only edition, which is also slimmer, from £349.99.

Some PS5s are popping up on ebay for princely sums in excess of what you would expect a new console to cost in high street shops.

The price for a new PS5 on ebay has moved into four and five figure sums, with one being advertised for an eye watering £10,000."

This would coincide with the recent poll and I'm pretty sure Giants and other game studios are monitoring this.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Monitoring what? That the new consoles are flying off the shelf and the demand is so high is proof that people are moving to the next gen consoles in droves? By fall this will likely be over especially as vaccines start to become readily available and producing things becomes easier.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

If you pre ordered the average waiting for a ps5 in the uk is about 2-4 months, the last time I saw someone by getting one that i know was about 3 weeks ago
Guil

Post by Guil »

Ps3 was similar at launch. Doesn't do anything to argue your point though, just further proves there is more and more people upgrading their console
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I hope that Giants doesn't release the new game, whenever that is for the older systems. I either plan on staying with 19 or upgrading to PC or Console for 21/22/23 whatever it is or will be called.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
eric21

Post by eric21 »

eric21

Post by eric21 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 pm I hope that Giants doesn't release the new game, whenever that is for the older systems. I either plan on staying with 19 or upgrading to PC or Console for 21/22/23 whatever it is or will be called.
But again you forcing people to upgrade, fifa, nhl, nfl and other sports game dont do this because there is alot of users who can't afford new consoles from 3rd world countries. Its notbl whats best for the company its whata best for the people.
Thats why Google stadia came out because its cheap and fills the gap
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Then get a google stadia, and your example games could be remade on PS3 still, is that what we really want farming simulator to devolve into? Spitting out the same game every year with a roster update? I have a feeling you're not able to upgrade to the new system but for the rest of us that are we really don’t want to play fs19 with 2021 series tractors that are mostly already modded into the game anyway. Many will argue fs19 was already a 17 duplicate, constrained by old console hardware. Another one after waiting for a release of new consoles would be extremely disappointing.