Thank You for - Griffin, Indiana Map - by AJFarmer

chedly_farms

Thank You for - Griffin, Indiana Map - by AJFarmer

Post by chedly_farms »

So most of you know how particular I am with maps. I’ve played Osina almost exclusively for the last year +. With all these great American mods that come out, I always like to give them a go, but I can never find a map I gel with for various reasons. So I was pleasantly surprised to see to American themed maps this week on the modhub. I was initially blown away with the “small midwestern town” feel of Griffin. And the fact the the forests to the north render from long distances helps me with the immersion of it. However, at first glance I was bummed with how the default farm layout was. Initially, i thought it was too vanilla. But I started giving it a go tonight, and boy was I wrong about it. With a little work with the paint brush tool, I made my farm yard really unique. Reselling the initial equipment gives you next to zero money. So i really had to think how I went about it. I went to town to the “bank” and got a $250k operating loan. And with all the grass area around the starting farm, I decided I was going to make small hay bales and sell them, to get going. I used the John Deere swather from the modhub, and two hours later, i was done mowing, lol. Sold some bales already and made a nice little profit. And then in the next few days I will put up some small pens for horses and cattle. I just can’t explain why, but I just jive with this map. I can’t wait to ride my horses on some of these trails that I have spotted through the tree line as well.

So thank you AJFarmer for a really well done map. I also love the added length of the train with the cars you added. It’s not just 5 train cars and done.

There are just so many things I like about this map. There are things i don’t like, but they don’t kill it for me like they do on other maps. I don’t know why, but this map just has some aura about it.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
ajFarmer

Re: Thank You for - Griffin, Indiana Map - by AJFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

Griffin Indiana 19

Changelog 1.3.0.0:
-Fixed signs on buildings clipping
-Fixed road sign falling over East of Elder Farm
-Increased window view distance on few buildings
-Changed new career character spawn location
-Added support for Store Sales Mod
-Old save update safe

Changelog 1.2.0.0:
-Added Seasons snow contracts
-Added building signs
-Added grass to O'Conner sell point to allow silage bail contracts with Seasons to be accepted
-Added animated doors to white garages throughout map
-Added lights inside white garages
-Added snow mask for white garages
-Added lights to all flags
-Fenced yards now all have access for riding mower
-Ground texture work inside white garages
-Optimized map
-Changed buying station names
-New save required only for texture work in white garages
-Old save update safe

Changelog 1.1.1.0:
-New road textures
-New field textures
-Town now purchasable free
-Extensive light work throughout map
-Added switchable lights to workshop
-Added switchable lights to all map sheds
-Added and adjusted ambient sounds
-Added placeable hay straw silo
-Fixed vehicle collision at train crossing
-Fixed vehicle to vehicle traffic collision
-Fixed sign by field 1 collision
-Extensive ground foliage work in forest
-Ground foliage work along east border
-New save required only for ground foliage work
-Old save update safe

Changelog 1.1.0.0:
-Changed map features description
-Custom crop textures added
-Bushes all Season Ready
-Trees now all Seasons ready
-Trees around main farm can be cut
-Trees on all farms and buyable lot in town can be cut
-Trees in Forestry area can all be cut
-Fixed various floating trees
-Fixed "Terrain cannot be deformed here" when using landscape mode and placables
-Added paintable bush and five decofoilage for landscape mode
-Snow mask now removed if main farm buildings sold
-Junk back of Easy Shed on main farm can be Sold
-All workshop decorations can now be sold with workshop
-Added Workshop Mod and Junk store image
-Adjusted ambient sounds
-Bga land price reduced
-Widened BGA entrance
-Widened main farm white fence openings
-Buckley Farm now purchasable with field 9
-Field 9 and Main Farm price reduced
-Adjusted Farmland border between fields 2 & 11
-Fixed West map border wall
-Fixed T junction road texture
-Reduced slot count
-Lengthen train
-New Save Required

Thanks to all for the comments and feedback, I hope everyone enjoys the map as much as I did creating it. :biggrin2:
Last edited by ajFarmer on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 28 times in total.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I can’t see myself getting too far. So I’ll probably just cheat my progress on the update. With all the tree work you have changed, will that change their render distances at all?

ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

No not at all, I just had to set size scale to 1. I originally did it for looks, but I didn't realize you couldn't cut them. Most of the rescale was done in the forestry area across from the Mill. At the farm I just had to raise a few up out of ground so they can be cut.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

Speaking of vanilla, Every prop and building is Giants that's how I was able to get the file size down so low and frame rates up for those higher render distances. The new update bumped it up to 220mb because of the crop textures. I was hesitant about adding them but had to many comments to add them. They look awesome. Check out the culverts there just rescaled round metal bins, also check out speakers on stage at farmers market. The stands are spot light stands with a scaled bucket and scaled sewer lid for the speaker cover. I did that all over the map and that was the most fun to work with what I had. I was going to add buildings from Giants Russian map to give it more variance but I couldn't use FS17 shaders or it wouldn't pass for console use, and the FS19 shaders looked really bad on them.
Farmer_Blue

Post by Farmer_Blue »

Thanks for a great feeling American map. I'm really enjoying the map. I changed and built a new main farm and added the open range Lone Oak cattle pen to the large pasture. Everything about the map just feels comfortable and right.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Thank you for adding the custom crop textures can't wait for the update so I can start playing your amazing map. *thumbsup*
lawm

Post by lawm »

It will make starting over much easier if you got starting slots down to 474. That was the only reason I started a new farm was because I had to delete all the placeables to get the low slots and I didnt feel like re-placing the house in original spot. Great job in recycling items into the map to keep the Mb low.....leaves lots of room for future mods. Epic first map entry!!!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

ajFarmer wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:13 am Speaking of vanilla, Every prop and building is Giants that's how I was able to get the file size down so low and frame rates up for those higher render distances. The new update bumped it up to 220mb because of the crop textures. I was hesitant about adding them but had to many comments to add them. They look awesome. Check out the culverts there just rescaled round metal bins, also check out speakers on stage at farmers market. The stands are spot light stands with a scaled bucket and scaled sewer lid for the speaker cover. I did that all over the map and that was the most fun to work with what I had. I was going to add buildings from Giants Russian map to give it more variance but I couldn't use FS17 shaders or it wouldn't pass for console use, and the FS19 shaders looked really bad on them.
I think you did a very nice job with everything. To me that’s the true mark of a good artist. Taking “Vanilla” things and making a masterpiece. I mentioned your main farm looked vanilla at first. That was because i felt it wasn’t big enough or had facilities for the biggest and best toys. But after going around it has a charm about it. It feels like a farm that could be around me. I love the sale points and all the things in town. The baseball field is very cool. And as long as I’m continuing to have a blast on it, i probably won’t update it. It’s kind of like, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Well to me, it ain’t broke, lol.

sittinhere

Post by sittinhere »

I had the same feeling about the main yard. Till I sold everything minus the house. Removed some trees. Added some nice red barns and add the lancyboi silo and turned out really nice. Only thing I would like to see add is different paintable grass. One that matches the grass already there
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

FYI the brown barn across the street has tip collisions on all the walls, So you can tip goods and not spill thru walls. It is noted in new Map Description. I set it up that way because a about a year ago I had, Pigs, Sheep, And Cattle barns surrounding it and the side stalls served as feed bunkers. It was set up nice but when test playing I thought it was to cheaty to start with all of it, Nothing to work for I suppose. I used dock parts from Ravenport map for the additional walls and lean to off back and steel plate for roof. So imagine the ol' farmer you got the land from went down to lake and ripped up the old dock to add on to barn. The new update I used rescaled sea can for wall in workshop in lieu of wood wall that was a dock. To make it saleable. I had to use the sea can, as the dock files rely on base game building arrays and you have to include them for placeables that would add 140mb to map. Unfortunately this is why on new update you can not remove wind mill. I could of made flag removable but thought that would be criminal. :lol:
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

I'm working on the GEO for the area. It will be submitted to to Giants today.
jlhsteel

Post by jlhsteel »

I NEVER post on hardly any of the many forums and groups im on so for me to leave a cement is a major compliment. I love farming simulator and have played since the beginning years ago and the biggest struggle for me is finding a map that I truly like and griffin Indiana map is defiantly my favorite map I love the fact you used all vanilla objects and keeping the file size down. I also love the layout of the map it has all the features of the base game with easabilaty to use placeable buildings and animal pens. GIANTS really needs to take notes on your work !
to sum it up THANK you AJFARMER for the awesome map and all the great effort you have done and shared with us !
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

I am curious of how the console players are addressing placeable issues, as a PC user I use Global Company from Giants Modhub. Without that mod I just flatten terrain and it works fine. Is this different for consoles?
The terrain is real data so it rolls and hardly flat. That's what causes it and there is no fix from what I can tell. Sorry, I have thread over in Modders helping Modders section asking this question but no response, and I had a lot of console players asking me for a fix.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

@jlhsteel
5 post and you joined in 2014. I am honored Thank you so much for the compliment. *thumbsup*