Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

michaelb1980

Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Post by michaelb1980 »

Can someone help me understand how Farming simulator is so hard on consoles we are limited to an x amount of equipment and limited to 200 bales last I checked because it is a physical object, and any decorations or playable objects subtract from the slot count, the map is much smaller than San Andreas, with much less buildings pedestrians and automobiles. Yet our consoles can handle GTA 5 like a breeze. Can someone help me understand this?
Mwal

Re: Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Post by Mwal »

Gta doesn’t need to render the entire map at once, only the area you are in farm sim does. The npc’s and cars you see and the area you are in only exist while you see them on gta, on farm sim they are there no matter what. I believe this is due to the crop growth and various other things that take place on farm sim, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on why.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:34 pm Gta doesn’t need to render the entire map at once, only the area you are in farm sim does. The npc’s and cars you see and the area you are in only exist while you see them on gta, on farm sim they are there no matter what. I believe this is due to the crop growth and various other things that take place on farm sim, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on why.
:this:
Most other games is just moving a camera around with visual effects, FS has to have entire map at least partially render able.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

As well as the above, graphically GTA only has to render mostly very basic and static items and most of them have equally basic physics (even the vehicles are still very basic compared to other driving games). It does a good job of convincing you that you're in a living world, but much of it is either pre-determined or designed to trick you into thinking the world is bigger than it is.

While GIANTS' engine is far from perfect, foliage is probably the absolute worst thing to have to render in a concentrated area, which each instance casting its own shadow and every square metre (I think) is calculated in real time, all of the time.

That and Rockstar apparently have more than 2,500 employees. GIANTS have around 3% of the staff that Rockstar do (last time I knew it was between 50-60, but it's probably more now).
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Not to mention rockstar probably makes more money on one year of shark cards than giants will with this entire game and dlc’s.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

If you want to see the effects in GTA V mentioned above try this:

Go to a really tall building, there's a nice big factory down by port and watch the traffic without using a sniper rifle. You'll start to see how vehicles seem to appear "just around the corner". Watch the pedestrians too, just how few there are anything more than a block away. Why no sniper rifle? Because that tightly limits your field of view, in effect you are giving yourself FS's render-circle.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Guil

Post by Guil »

The game would be much easier to run if they adopted the gta approach. I don't think anyone would be happy waiting for the game to load in the clouds everytime they switched to another tractor or vehicle halfway across the map just as you do switching character in gta
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

That or discovering that their crops didn’t update across the map because you weren’t over there.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I think it boils down to several years of development vs several months of development. Wanting to be the best vs settling for a quick pay day. Finishing what you start vs it's mostly working, time to move on.
Fan accountability vs fans providing excuses.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FarmBoss wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 am I think it boils down to several years of development vs several months of development. Wanting to be the best vs settling for a quick pay day. Finishing what you start vs it's mostly working, time to move on.
There's a longer timescale for GTA-V certainly, GTA-IV was released in 2008 and GTA-V in 2013, and a much bigger team, the GTA-V team is reckoned to be 1,000-ish core team, plus bought in talent, so 5000 dev-years. By comparison, FS17 was released 2016 and FS19 in 2018 with a team of approx. 50, which gives 100 dev-years: on that basis, GTA-V would be 50 times better than FS19, or FS19 would be 50 times worse than GTA-V. Is that really the case?

Does that count as "fans providing excuses"...? If so, well meh -- because I'm happy playing FS19 with its faults and failures. I have a long list of things I'd like to see improved, or dropped or implemented but until such time as I either a) form a team and produce my own, much better farming game or b) join GIANTS and make changes from the inside, then I'm stuck with what I, and every other FS19 user, can have.

Edit: corrected 3013 to 2013 :)
Last edited by blue_painted on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 am I think it boils down to several years of development vs several months of development. Wanting to be the best vs settling for a quick pay day. Finishing what you start vs it's mostly working, time to move on.
There's a longer timescale for GTA-V certainly, GTA-IV was released in 2008 and GTA-V in 3013, and a much bigger team, the GTA-V team is reckoned to be 1,000-ish core team, plus bought in talent, so 5000 dev-years. By comparison, FS17 was released 2016 and FS19 in 2018 with a team of approx. 50, which gives 100 dev-years: on that basis, GTA-V would be 50 times better than FS19, or FS19 would be 50 times worse than GTA-V. Is that really the case?

Does that count as "fans providing excuses"...? If so, well meh -- because I'm happy playing FS19 with its faults and failures. I have a long list of things I'd like to see improved, or dropped or implemented but until such time as I either a) form a team and produce my own, much better farming game or b) join GIANTS and make changes from the inside, then I'm stuck with what I, and every other FS19 user, can have.
:this:
And that’s not to mention that that the 50-60 GIANTS employees number is the ENTIRE company, Janitor, finances, administration, community outreach/PR, etc along with game dev. And to make it even worse GIANTS Engine is an in-house game engine that GIANTS has to maintain, rather than say just buying a license to Unity. And to dump GIANTS engine would probably kill the game, performance would almost definitely tank, and features would shrink, among other problems.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm
There's a longer timescale for GTA-V certainly, GTA-IV was released in 2008 and GTA-V in 3013, and a much bigger team, the GTA-V team is reckoned to be 1,000-ish core team, plus bought in talent, so 5000 dev-years. By comparison, FS17 was released 2016 and FS19 in 2018 with a team of approx. 50, which gives 100 dev-years: on that basis, GTA-V would be 50 times better than FS19, or FS19 would be 50 times worse than GTA-V. Is that really the case?

Yes, manpower also counts. As for which is better, it depends on the player and which game they like more.
When I mention players providing excuses, I just mean that sometimes Giants may not fix an issue if there are others saying they don't mind the issue.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FarmBoss wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:23 pm (snip)

Yes, manpower also counts. As for which is better, it depends on the player and which game they like more.
When I mention players providing excuses, I just mean that sometimes Giants may not fix an issue if there are others saying they don't mind the issue.
It's not just the headcount but -- with all due respect to GIANTS developer team -- it's talent as well, and it will be much easier to attract the best talent to a cool best-selling game like the GTA series.

As far as fixing goes -- I'd guess that the GTA audience is at least as vocal as FS players, probably more so.

Mobias

Post by Mobias »

I'm sure if your threw GTAV's budget and studio manpower at FS you'd get a pretty spectacular game at the end of it. They studio would go instantly bankrupt but never the less the game would be amazing.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

if u used R* yearly tax deductions alone, you could fund the next fs game with a higher budget than 19+17 combined.. stop comparing the 2... its like comparing steaks to hamburgers just because they both come from a cow.. this is so redundant.. I wish I could find it.. I actually dug around R* financial stuffs for a thread on here a couple years ago.. some neat numbers that really put this comparison into perspective
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick