Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Mwal

Re: Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Post by Mwal »

Here’s one, in 2019 they made half a billion dollars and were the third best selling game that year.... six years after initial release
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

The comparison wasn't supposed to be about money or how big a company is, it's how a vastly larger game with a lot more going on under the hood can run so much better than a game that is a 5th of the size (on the same console).
It's like a transport truck getting better fuel mileage than a motorcycle.
DirkW

Post by DirkW »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm There's a longer timescale for GTA-V certainly, GTA-IV was released in 2008 and GTA-V in 3013,
So, 1005 years? :biggrin2: (Sorry, couldn't resist)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm The comparison wasn't supposed to be about money or how big a company is, it's how a vastly larger game with a lot more going on under the hood can run so much better than a game that is a 5th of the size (on the same console).
But developing your analogue, the motorcycle in this case is a "put together by a bunch of guys in a shed" versus and "commercially produced with state-of-the-art technology and development" truck ... which is why the resources; financial, time, headcount and ability, together with the intended results, explain the difference in performance.

@PrincessJessi84 -- given that they are both computer games running on the same hardware, I'd say it is a valid comparison.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

DirkW wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:23 pm
blue_painted wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm There's a longer timescale for GTA-V certainly, GTA-IV was released in 2008 and GTA-V in 3013,
So, 1005 years? :biggrin2: (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Sorry, typo! Good spot *thumbsup*
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm The comparison wasn't supposed to be about money or how big a company is, it's how a vastly larger game with a lot more going on under the hood can run so much better than a game that is a 5th of the size (on the same console).

The money and size of company is relevant though. Rockstar can afford to employ the best people in the industry and that gets you incredible production and levels of optimisation from the ground up. GTA is built on RAGE, Rockstar's own proprietary game engine. That engine has been in development since 2002 or there abouts. Its a long period of time for them to invest in making GTA the game it is.

You can see for yourself how much Giants have improved FS over the years. Its evolved and got better but equally its got a much smaller team making it and a much smaller budget. Its all relative. Giants are not a AAA games studio and FS is not a AAA game. You can't compare it to any AAA game.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Would you be in favour of the loading time every time you change character in gta, every time you tabbed to a different tractor or vehicle?
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Guil wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm
Would you be in favour of the loading time every time you change character in gta, every time you tabbed to a different tractor or vehicle?
Personally I prefer to drive to the next vehicle I need. When I do tab, I could tolerate a brief loading screen if it had some of the following benefits from less RAM being consumed.
More slots, bales and possibly larger maps.
Better draw distance.
Less lag.

That's just my opinion, and I can understand players that tab all the time wouldn't want loading screens.
My point about the comparison is only that FS is capable of playing as nice as GTA, but Giants isn't in the position to make it happen.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I think the only point you’re making is a complete willingness to ignore the answers given to continue pushing this really obsessive narrative that giants *censored*. Want to make giants the new rockstar? Easy, everyone who plays needs to just buy 75 copies next release
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

If you're referring to me, I don't think Giants *censored*, otherwise I wouldn't be here supporting their games.
I just answered a question that somebody else asked.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:06 pm
Guil wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm
Personally I prefer to drive to the next vehicle I need. When I do tab, I could tolerate a brief loading screen if it had some of the following benefits from less RAM being consumed.
More slots, bales and possibly larger maps.
Better draw distance.
Less lag.

That's just my opinion, and I can understand players that tab all the time wouldn't want loading screens.
My point about the comparison is only that FS is capable of playing as nice as GTA, but Giants isn't in the position to make it happen.
I’m not sure how loading screens/RAM usage minimization would work at all, the game has to keep track of every piece of foliage, vehicle, bale, log, and pallet. Otherwise stuff would be de-synced in no time. “Hey I left a quadtrac in the train line, why did it never move even though I watched the train make multiple loops?” Well the quadtrac’s existence was ignored. “Why is that field across the map never growing?” Well you never drive over there. That’s the reason FS eats resources, it has to keep tabs on the whole world (2km x 2km, or 4km^2) at once, and how do those loading screens work when in MP? Since I assume the the “freed up” RAM would be put to use would the hosts console be forced into overload (and an unhappy Microsoft/Sony) when a players makes it load stuff from across the map into RAM?
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

GTA handles loading screens in multiplayer, and can handle loading and releasing memory for each of the 16 players no matter where they are on the much larger map.
Just because FS keeps track of every single thing on the map, it doesn't mean it has to.
I have made games where I give a player poker chips every 2 hours. If they collect the chips, then exit the game, the game doesn't have to stay in ram in order to give them their chips again if they come back 2 hours later.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

That also isn’t keeping track of them over 2 hrs, it just remembering they exist, FS has to keep tracking the interactions off all objects otherwise you get my examples.
There’s a difference between asking someone to remember where they put a spoon in the glove box of a car and asking them to track it’s interactions with other objects as the car moves around town.

As for GTA I’m not familiar with how it does loading screens so can’t comment on how it runs them.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Loading screens in gta are very slow for the most part
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 pm GTA handles loading screens in multiplayer, and can handle loading and releasing memory for each of the 16 players no matter where they are on the much larger map.
Just because FS keeps track of every single thing on the map, it doesn't mean it has to.
I have made games where I give a player poker chips every 2 hours. If they collect the chips, then exit the game, the game doesn't have to stay in ram in order to give them their chips again if they come back 2 hours later.
Your console isn’t processing every visible bubble of all 30 players though, only yours. Each individual bubble is it’s own console that only matter when the bubbles come together, you can see just how small of an area is rendered if you look off in the distance down a straight street and watch the cars appear out of thin air or zoom in on a car down the interstate then get in a car and chase it down only to find out it isn’t the same vehicle anymore. Gta doesn’t run all that well either anymore it’s getting to be if there’s a group of people and multiple explosions of cars it’s nearly a slideshow. The load screens are also very long, almost painfully slow when going back from pc to console, but I don’t think you have played in a while though because you referenced 16 players as if it was the cap, but that hasn’t been the case since it was on PS3.