How do you guys do it?

Hoffa82
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

How do you guys do it?

Post by Hoffa82 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am

Hello all, I'm turning to this great community with another question.

I'm playing with old school equipment and as much as possible in first person view and all works great.. BUT when I spread slurry on grass, or spraying it is hard to see where I've been, so I feel that I do overlap pretty much. I'm not using any GPS to help, as I'm using old tractors.
If I use 3rd person view and zoom out its easy, but I really doesn't want to do that.
Do anyone of you have any technique or advise to do this? If there was a way for the grass to change colour a bit when sprayed it would be much easier.

Thank all!

Tylercheesey1986
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am
Location: Central West, NSW Australia

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Tylercheesey1986 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am

Use the angle display on the mini map. 0.00 is north, 180.00 is south. If you work in straight lines just keep the angle degree as close to straight as you can
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420

blue_painted
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by blue_painted » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 am

You pick features on the other side of the field that are around the width of your work and drive to them ... seems a bit too easy but it really works, at least it does in real life.
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

Eische
Posts: 2345
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Eische » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:28 am

Yep, this.
And you can use the coordinates to align them to your working width.

This works very well if your fields are aligned north/south or east/west.
Playing on PC - Win10 - AMD only
How to post log file
How to upload pictures

Hoffa82
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Hoffa82 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks for your answers, very appreciated.

I understand about using coordinates and compass heading. But my goal is to play without the HUD/UI as much as possible, I usually edit the RMT entries to real values so RPM-speed signs in most tractors are correct, and just use visual cues in the environment to get the job done.
I'm going to try blue_painted's advise, and then I probably need to practice more to get it effective.
I'm not complaining or anything, I think it's fun to learn how to do it, I just wanted to see what you guys that do this for real have to say about it.

BulletBill
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by BulletBill » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm

In real life farming with no GPS and not perfectly orientated fields I used to use a reference in the cab from my line of sight.

For example when cultivating with a 3m cultivator I would use the outside edge of the front mudguards as a guide.
When fertilizing a seeded field I used to use the bottom of the sunshade blind holder on the side of the cab as a marker.

The same principle can be used for any tool.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU

User avatar
JamP
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by JamP » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:50 pm

This ^^
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server

RED_Smith
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by RED_Smith » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Tylercheesey1986 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am
Use the angle display on the mini map. 0.00 is north, 180.00 is south. If you work in straight lines just keep the angle degree as close to straight as you can

I do this to. I also go into the fields map zoom in and look at the fields state and my person icon. It will show you what was just fertilized and help you line up your row passes and show you if you left gaps. I have done alot of fertilizing contract as night work, so I know this method works for me. Also when driving, after lining up your row. Look for the dirt strip between two crop rows, and use that as your course line to follow.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Dairydeere
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:11 pm
Location: Washington, United States
Contact:

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Dairydeere » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm

BulletBill wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm
In real life farming with no GPS and not perfectly orientated fields I used to use a reference in the cab from my line of sight.

For example when cultivating with a 3m cultivator I would use the outside edge of the front mudguards as a guide.
When fertilizing a seeded field I used to use the bottom of the sunshade blind holder on the side of the cab as a marker.

The same principle can be used for any tool.
:this:

I use GPS for a lot of work in real life, but when I do headlands, I align the edge of the implement with somewhere on the cab up ahead of me. Limits movement looking back to make sure I didn't take out any irrigation lol

You can also use targets ahead of you like people have mentioned, or if the crops have started growing and they're row crops like corn or sunflowers, you can use the little tip on the hood to align yourself with a row
Dairy Farmer. John Deere. Dairydeere!
FS19 and ATS
Discord - Dairydeere#2509
Member of Farm Simulator Network
Moderator for Kederk Farms
FS19 Community Trader, the place to go for roleplay
My new Facebook page for modding and farming pictures!

If you never ask, the answer is always no.
Have fun with the farmin’!

Hoffa82
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Hoffa82 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Thank you all, great stuff in here. My plough furrows are not straight as a arrow yet, but with the advice given here I think Maybe I don't need to be embarrassed anymore :lol:

How do you guys keep track of where you've already been? I mean, in game its hard to see from cab-view where I've put down slurry or not for example. Is it a matter of me needing to be more focused and just remember, or do you use some other trick?

The thing it, that got me started thinking about this was that yesterday I rolled a grass meadow, with a roller that acts like a fertilizer (I know, not entirely realistic, but I wanted to try it out) and it was a mess.... when I looked at the map after it was not...what would you say... well, the result was underwhelming to put it nicely. But to my defence I had no way to visually tell where I've been or not. If the grass would have stayed flat after the roller went over it, there would be no problem, but now it all looked the same.

As I said earlier, I'm not bashing the game for this, I just want to learn how to do it properly (withine the limitations of the game of course)

DEERE317
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by DEERE317 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Dairydeere wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm
BulletBill wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm
In real life farming with no GPS and not perfectly orientated fields I used to use a reference in the cab from my line of sight.

For example when cultivating with a 3m cultivator I would use the outside edge of the front mudguards as a guide.
When fertilizing a seeded field I used to use the bottom of the sunshade blind holder on the side of the cab as a marker.

The same principle can be used for any tool.
:this:

I use GPS for a lot of work in real life, but when I do headlands, I align the edge of the implement with somewhere on the cab up ahead of me. Limits movement looking back to make sure I didn't take out any irrigation lol

You can also use targets ahead of you like people have mentioned, or if the crops have started growing and they're row crops like corn or sunflowers, you can use the little tip on the hood to align yourself with a row
Same.
Especially easy with a FEL as you can lift/lower it to line in up with the previous mower pass.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
i5-9400f, GTX1660ti (KIA), 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb SSD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.

BulletBill
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:50 am

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by BulletBill » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Hoffa82 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm
How do you guys keep track of where you've already been? I mean, in game its hard to see from cab-view where I've put down slurry or not for example. Is it a matter of me needing to be more focused and just remember, or do you use some other trick?

The thing it, that got me started thinking about this was that yesterday I rolled a grass meadow, with a roller that acts like a fertilizer (I know, not entirely realistic, but I wanted to try it out) and it was a mess.... when I looked at the map after it was not...what would you say... well, the result was underwhelming to put it nicely. But to my defence I had no way to visually tell where I've been or not. If the grass would have stayed flat after the roller went over it, there would be no problem, but now it all looked the same.

As I said earlier, I'm not bashing the game for this, I just want to learn how to do it properly (withine the limitations of the game of course)
With regards Farm Sim and grass rolling I've always used rollers that we've setup to use a script which puts the grass back to the cut stage as well as fertilizing.
Doing rolling straight after cutting the grass works best as you can more easily see the ground through the grass foliage, fertilized ground will be darker.

Your right in your assumption that it takes a lot of concentration in RL to keep neat lines when not using GPS.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU

User avatar
Dairydeere
Posts: 2239
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:11 pm
Location: Washington, United States
Contact:

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Dairydeere » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Hoffa82 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm
Thank you all, great stuff in here. My plough furrows are not straight as a arrow yet, but with the advice given here I think Maybe I don't need to be embarrassed anymore :lol:

How do you guys keep track of where you've already been? I mean, in game its hard to see from cab-view where I've put down slurry or not for example. Is it a matter of me needing to be more focused and just remember, or do you use some other trick?

The thing it, that got me started thinking about this was that yesterday I rolled a grass meadow, with a roller that acts like a fertilizer (I know, not entirely realistic, but I wanted to try it out) and it was a mess.... when I looked at the map after it was not...what would you say... well, the result was underwhelming to put it nicely. But to my defence I had no way to visually tell where I've been or not. If the grass would have stayed flat after the roller went over it, there would be no problem, but now it all looked the same.

As I said earlier, I'm not bashing the game for this, I just want to learn how to do it properly (withine the limitations of the game of course)
I think Precision Farming helps if you're using bigger equipment. For anything smaller, I use the landmarks again. i.e. I emptied the manure tank when I was on the row with the fourth power pole ahead of me. Then when I get back I line up again and watch for the change. Much easier to see things like that in real life than ingame, that's for sure. Like Bulletbill said, it helps if you do your application before foliage comes back, like right after cutting grass
Dairy Farmer. John Deere. Dairydeere!
FS19 and ATS
Discord - Dairydeere#2509
Member of Farm Simulator Network
Moderator for Kederk Farms
FS19 Community Trader, the place to go for roleplay
My new Facebook page for modding and farming pictures!

If you never ask, the answer is always no.
Have fun with the farmin’!

User avatar
Farmercaseih
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by Farmercaseih » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:57 pm

I look for a tree in the fenceline, which is what I did in this picture
Image

blue_painted
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: How do you guys do it?

Post by blue_painted » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:33 pm

BulletBill wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:07 pm
In real life farming with no GPS and not perfectly orientated fields I used to use a reference in the cab from my line of sight.

For example when cultivating with a 3m cultivator I would use the outside edge of the front mudguards as a guide.
When fertilizing a seeded field I used to use the bottom of the sunshade blind holder on the side of the cab as a marker.

The same principle can be used for any tool.
That's what I did where there was a clear ground mark, but spraying for broadleaf weeds over old pasture land there wasn't a mark to see, so it was the landmark method.
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

Post Reply