Top Mods?

chedly_farms

Top Mods?

Post by chedly_farms »

Everyday, or close to everyday, new mods come to the mod hub. And players that have been around since the first mods came to FS19 know about “top mods” and how many people didn’t know a lot of mods existed because they were only seeing “top mods”. But what constitutes Top Mods and the real question, is “Do you agree with them?”

Before we go any farther, I just want to say that my attempt to start a discussion, in no way is meant to disrepect modders. I am a big fan of modders and anyone that has been around, knows that. I try to be the biggest cheerleader possible for modders. With that said, I question how Giants comes to a decision to brand a mod a “top mod”. Take today, a small hay rake. It looks well done, it appears to be nicely detailed. But why “top mod”. What do you guys think?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
juf.de

Re: Top Mods?

Post by juf.de »

The last time this discussion came up, the answer was something like:
- Released multiple mods
- Mods match the quality of current Giants models (polycount per modelsize and complexity, current texture system, ...)
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I wish they would just solely go off downloads or ratings. It’s pretty objectionable in its current state. I’m sure we all have a top mod list in our heads and all would judge each other’s for example how some would question my list as being seasons and a bunch of yellow tractors and say “what’s he have all those ugly yellow tractors on their for?”, and I would look at there’s and say “what’s with the three Point cultivators, planning on working your garden?” That’s what I feel the top mods list is because I can’t really find any other rhyme or reason for it, maybe someone or giants can enlighten me.
Edit: Just needed to look up😂
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I have a feeling stuff that isn’t the greatest but people are hyped for would get on top... and it would divulge into modders trying to make the “coolest” mod to get the most ratings and downloads therefore being labeled a top mod and getting even more downloads all the while getting paid by GIANTS for a garbage mod that a bunch of people decided was cool.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
BernardC

Post by BernardC »

In fact it seems it applies to modders than to mods, a top modder has still released several top mods. In the past when a new modder released a very good mod it was qualified as Beta
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

juf.de wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:45 pm The last time this discussion came up, the answer was something like:
- Released multiple mods
- Mods match the quality of current Giants models (polycount per modelsize and complexity, current texture system, ...)
I get what you are putting out there, but my question is more aimed towards what us players think. It's why I elaborated a little in what I was thinking upon creating the post.

chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I just went to the mod hub and selected "top mods", aside from the 40 series JD from Blacksheep, there is not one appealing thing for North American farmers. And It's a shame, considering that Custom Modding puts a lot of effort into their mods. I don't know. I don't want to start a war over top mods. I just think a few more mods need to have the "top mod" moniker.

Mwal

Post by Mwal »

DEERE317 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:12 pm I have a feeling stuff that isn’t the greatest but people are hyped for would get on top... and it would divulge into modders trying to make the “coolest” mod to get the most ratings and downloads therefore being labeled a top mod and getting even more downloads all the while getting paid by GIANTS for a garbage mod that a bunch of people decided was cool.
Yeah but that’s how nexus and most mod sites are, you find your game and hit downloads and the cream tends to rise to the top. You can throw in ratings then too and those two work off each other to thin out the must have mods
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I want to add that I am not saying some of the mods listed as top mods aren't amazingly good. I just think more mods could/should have the label.

Mwal

Post by Mwal »

chedly_farms wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:58 pm I want to add that I am not saying some of the mods listed as top mods aren't amazingly good. I just think more mods could/should have the label.
I agree, to make the official hub the quality has to be good in the first place. That’s why I would like to see an option to organize them that shows more what the community is playing with. This forum as an example, it’s fairly often you run into people who don’t know what big game changing mods like seasons are. A quick search in the downloads or endorsements category’s on nexus and you know what the big mods are.
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

This question has probably been asked, but what's the formula for a top mod, how does it get to that qualification?
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Yeahrightio wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:33 pm This question has probably been asked, but what's the formula for a top mod, how does it get to that qualification?
Let me just quote my post from above:
juf.de wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:45 pm The last time this discussion came up, the answer was something like:
- Released multiple mods
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
ChiefContractor

Post by ChiefContractor »

Sur go look at peppe978 or whoever he is. How has he so many TOPS while others have none. Its really biased.
Hello! I'm a PC gamer now! Care to join my server for Realistic and Fun Farming simulator 19 multiplayer?
If so, click here -> https://discord.gg/KnEzWm32tF
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

lol, do you guys even read more than one line of text?
Its not only quantity but quality aswell, just compare his mods with mods from other guys, check polycount, distribution of the polys, texture quality, animation smoothness, features, level of detail, etc.
It's not all about amount of different wheels or engine configurations.
Playing on PC
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Unsurprisingly Giants mods get top mod status even though they lack things other modders put in for example i.c.