Weeds + Seasons

DMZ Commander

Weeds + Seasons

Post by DMZ Commander »

Ok so it was my understanding that you could preemptively spray herbicide prior to seeding/planting and you'd be good to go until your harvested said crop. I sprayed the field just prior to seeding. Wasn't even half way through seeding the field and saw some weeds popping up already. Once I finished seeding I tried to do another pass and the weeds don't die. Am I missing something here?
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
Mwal

Re: Weeds + Seasons

Post by Mwal »

I believe the act of planting resets weeds, so preemptive spraying would be immediately following planting
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Mwal wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:23 am I believe the act of planting resets weeds, so preemptive spraying would be immediately following planting
I have 2 other fields to do so I'll give that a shot
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Mwal wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:23 am I believe the act of planting resets weeds, so preemptive spraying would be immediately following planting
That is my understanding as well I normally fertilise once prior too drilling, drill without applying fert then run over with herbicide. The other fert layers get done after that.
BillyMais

Post by BillyMais »

Close. In fact:

That was my understanding as well. But in practice I figured finally out that you have to wait one more growth state until preemptive spraying takes effect. So after planting wait one growth state and then spray. To be exact: When the field says "germination succeeded" (or similar, I play the German Seasons and don't know exact wording of the English one) you can effectively spray the field preemptively.

Hope that helps.
LS17 (Switch) | LS17 (Steam) | LS19 (PS4) | LS19 (Steam) | LS20 (Switch) | LS22 Premium Edition (Steam) | Pumps n’ Hoses + Farm Production Pack + Case IH Farmall Anniversary Pack
Thrustmaster T248P | TH8S Shifter Add-on | Logitech G Heavy Equipment Side Panel | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + FaceTrackNoIR
Bug Tracker | Image Server
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I have sprayed directly after seeding, with and without fertilization, and it has worked preemptively every time.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Ever since 19 came out I have sprayed preemtively. Need to run a seeder/planter with no fertilizer then spray immediately after sowing. Occasionally if you take too long young weeds may sprout which spray will not kill, these need to be removed with weeder or sprayed again once they mature. If you run fertilizer with seeder you have to wait until crop germinates before spraying herbicide and usually end up with a lot of young weeds by then.

Have currently been running tests and it appears that with seasons you can spray before sowing and it will stop weeds also. Once I have thouroghly tested I will post findings
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

If you spray directly after seeding (when crop status in the map is still yellow) it will prevent future weeds but won't kill existing ones. If you want until the crop has germinated (green status) it will kill existing weeds and prevent future ones.

Last time I tried spraying before seeding it did nothing to prevent weed growth, haven't bothered wasting money on it since.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

I dumped the fertilizer out of my seeder. Gonna try "next year" running just seed then herbicide
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

DMZ Commander wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:41 pm I dumped the fertilizer out of my seeder. Gonna try "next year" running just seed then herbicide
One thing I like to do is to fertilize before seeding. That way you get your first stage, and then when you seed (without the fertilization) the ground "color" resets to the lighter stage, making it easy for you to keep track of where you have sprayed your herbicide.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Bryan83 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 pm
DMZ Commander wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:41 pm I dumped the fertilizer out of my seeder. Gonna try "next year" running just seed then herbicide
One thing I like to do is to fertilize before seeding. That way you get your first stage, and then when you seed (without the fertilization) the ground "color" resets to the lighter stage, making it easy for you to keep track of where you have sprayed your herbicide.
That's my intentions
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9