Giants ModHub Rating System Suggestions

ajFarmer

Giants ModHub Rating System Suggestions

Post by ajFarmer »

Thread Criteria
The Ideal behind the thread is to allow people to post there suggestions for Giants ModHub Rating System and hopefully Giants will read these as constructive feedback. Please do not post suggestions or questions regarding "Top" or "Featured" mods.This has been discussed in many threads before.

My Jibber Jabber

Let me start out by saying thank you to all the modders in the community and your dedication to your work. I also want to think the community for being appreciative and helpful to the modders. I want to thank Giants for allowing open ended use of the Giants editor to create the mods and Giants QA team for going thru the countless mods to make sure they are safe for us to use. I dont know of very many platforms that do this.

I noticed there are countless mods with hardly any ratings for how long they have been available. As of writing this take for example my map has 173,000 downloads and only 1816 ratings. A lot of modders do not have a support thread on the forum to judge how well there mods are received as I do and dont have much else to go off of. This info would give modders encouragement to better there mods or continue modding in general. Which in the long run would benefit the community.

I think the main problem is someone like me who uses 270 plus mods forgets if they rated a mod or not and has to go thru the entire list to make sure they have been rated. I also do not rate mods until I have used them for sometime, and if I went on a mod download spree this can get complicated. Let's face it sometimes we just want to play the game and not spend time rating.

My suggestion
Simply show in the in game Modhub next to each mod you have installed Your Rating for each mod without having to click on them and the ones you did not rate yet show "Not Rated" This would be a friendly reminder that you need to rate, not a intrusive popup.
Hoss1

Re: Giants ModHub Rating System Suggestions

Post by Hoss1 »

I like your idea ajFarmer. I have the same problem where I typically won’t rate a mod until I’ve used it, and occasionally forget to rate it until going through my mods and removing unused or infrequently used mods.
Playing on Xbox since FS15
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps there could be a link to an automatically generated support thread for each mod too where bugs and/or suggestions could be posted.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

My suggestion would maybe add a rating system that allows you to rate different aspects of the mod eg you could rate the map detail 3 stars but the gameplay quality 5 stars. or something like that?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

One of the issues for me with the rating system is I've seen what I consider to be good mods and maps with a low rating, I do wonder if sometimes it's not down to the quality and just more a case of people rating it low just because it doesn't suit their play style. For example somebody who likes using bigger equipment giving a map designed for small equipment a lower rating.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm One of the issues for me with the rating system is I've seen what I consider to be good mods and maps with a low rating, I do wonder if sometimes it's not down to the quality and just more a case of people rating it low just because it doesn't suit their play style. For example somebody who likes using bigger equipment giving a map designed for small equipment a lower rating.
There should be a popup before you rate that says "do you use this mod?" and if they click no, the rating doesn't count.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

That's already in place to a degree. You can only rate if you have downloaded the mod. The idea of that is why download a mod if you won't use it, but it has its flaws.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Its alot of sympathy voteing, brand and wheres it from that matter more than the quallity of a mod. A low voted mod can be as good as a higher one....So I dont trust it anymore (I still give stars to those that deserves it tho)
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Ekan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm Its alot of sympathy voteing, brand and wheres it from that matter more then the quallity of a mod. A low voted mod can be as good as a higher one....So I dont trust it anymore (I still give stars to those that deserves it tho)
True true. It seems anything ‘Merican from a biggish name modder does well even if it’s unpolished.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

There’s always different standards though, and when american stuff is limited in the base game then someone like custom modding becomes the standard for that type of equipment.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:24 pm There’s always different standards though, and when american stuff is limited in the base game then someone like custom modding becomes the standard for that type of equipment.
Custom’s stuff (newest stuff, a lot of the earlier mods are rough around the edges) are pretty well polished/finished. Just you get stuff like the Demco 42’ with weird quirks and just (to me at least) a general unpolished feel.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yes, that’s the point when you have one, especially with console, that becomes the standard. It’s not them being nicey nice it’s they only have one so if it functions they’re happy to have it.
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

I guess the point of my suggestion was a get out and vote type message, I believe the ratings are skewed to some degree as there are not near enough mods actually being rated. I could be wrong but I think sometimes people tend to take the time to rate a mod if it is bad or they dislike it as opposed to liking it and rating it. Which those results would be balanced out if more people rated them. Or I am wrong and the outcome is always the same regardless of how many actually rate it . I am sure there has been a lot of marketing studies on that equation. Silly math LOL.
However as a modder it's hard to trust the numbers when only on average 1% of the downloaded mods are rated.
Edit: My numbers for my mods seem to be fairly accurate as there is always room for improvement, and I have the support thread to judge as well. I am speaking mainly for the mods that have low numbers and are actually well executed but they have hardly any votes. And just the poor rate turnout in general.
Last edited by ajFarmer on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I agree with the OP *thumbsup*
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Found this thread because I couldn't figure out how to rate a mod. The "you can only rate it if you have downloaded it" was a hint to look in game at the individual mods. How disapointing that I can only rate 1-5 stars. I want to make a comment or at least have different aspects of the mod to rate. For exmaple Just exprimented with Mod weeders. I absolutely love the idea of the EGXTEND XPOWER mod that uses electricity to zap the weeds. Very eco friendly and can kill large weeds. However, it only works at 2mph has an unknown working width but GPS detected it as 1m. And Courseplay and Giants AI do not recognize it as an attachment so you have to do your whole field by hand, 1m at a time at 2mph. That is an epic fail in my book but a great idea. But how do I convey that to the modder?
IMHO if it is in Modhub it should have a thread in the forum for discussion. I can't give constructive feedback if there is no place to do it.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder