Question for all you Deere fans...

Bryan83

Question for all you Deere fans...

Post by Bryan83 »

When you use the 716C corn header, do you use the stalk stompers? If you do, do you only use them in front of the combine wheels/tracks or across the whole header?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
DEERE317

Re: Question for all you Deere fans...

Post by DEERE317 »

Bryan83 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:28 am When you use the 716C corn header, do you use the stalk stompers? If you do, do you only use them in front of the combine wheels/tracks or across the whole header?
When I ran a 712C (wheeled S780) on Medicine Creek I had stalk stompers on it. MN Millenial has a video looking at a S780 that didn’t have any sort of stalk stompers on a chopping corn head and it was chewing the tires up good. I imagine tracks are the same. Chopping heads leave a nice sharp/pointy/flat (chops it off flat making a perfect spear for tires) so the stompers knock it over.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

You should only need the stompers where the tires would run
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

In game it makes no difference, in real life they matter
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Deereslayer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 am You should only need the stompers where the tires would run
Not 100% sure as to why but have seen full width setups which I think are to help protect grain cart/tillage tires.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Crazof wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 am In game it makes no difference, in real life they matter
I understand, but being as I'm not a real farmer I was asking to help me increase the realism of my gameplay.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Every self respecting Deere fan is smart enough to still use an Axial Flow. That was on page 2 of the John Deere fan club agreement.

To answer your question, though, when I eventually get a Deere combine in the game. I will use stalk stompers across the whole head. It helps the stalks turn to residue quicker, I believe.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:05 pm Every self respecting Deere fan is smart enough to still use an Axial Flow. That was on page 2 of the John Deere fan club agreement.

To answer your question, though, when I eventually get a Deere combine in the game. I will use stalk stompers across the whole head. It helps the stalks turn to residue quicker, I believe.
And saves all types of tires from puncture (main reason for stompers, chopping heads are for residue management, but have the unfortunate problem of leaving nice pointy/sharp stalks, at least that’s my limited knowledge)
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

LOL. I use the folding heads on my S790s.

I've played this game enough and been frustrated by headers falling off of trailers too long. Ain't nobody got time for that.

But IRL, the stalk stompers are to save your tires and/or tracks from puncture and premature wear. If you are running a controlled-traffic farm, you only need to use stompers on the rows where you're driving. If you're not, and running all over with the grain cart or truck, you need to use them across the entire header.

I've also seen tractors running them on the front bumper in line with the tires or tracks.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I run stalk stompers even though they have no ingame purpose. Mainly because I know if I don't, my FS tires are going to tear and wear, and that wouldn't be good... :lol: Not much experience with combining corn, but from chopping corn with a chopper, I know that stalk stumps hurt lol
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

We never used them and neither does the guy who custom combines for us now, but we sell all our corn stalks and I’ve never seen them used so I don’t know how they would drive everything into the ground for raking
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 pm We never used them and neither does the guy who custom combines for us now, but we sell all our corn stalks and I’ve never seen them used so I don’t know how they would drive everything into the ground for raking
Do you or the custom guy run chopping heads? From what little I’ve read the main purpose to knock over the blunt/tire damaging vertical corn stalks left behind a chopping head (essentially like pushing it over with you foot)
Where a non chopping head just mangles the stalk up below the head where it does little to no tire damage.
Also known as the result of me seeing 1 S780 that had messed up tires on MN Millenial’s channel, and some farm forum reading so good chance I’m missing many nuances or uses.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah because it eliminates stalk chopping afterwards. I can see if you had thousands of acres how it would help on tires but personally the benefit of corn trash being gone and being replaced by manure for trade and the reduction of fertilizer costs outweighs any tire concerns
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

We had to replace the one tire of our 8r from corn stalks popping the tube.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

We have a normal corn head and we don't really have a problem with stalks, we try to drive between the rows as much as possible and the combine tires go between the rows.