A lot of questions about farming in real life

Paco_86

A lot of questions about farming in real life

Post by Paco_86 »

Hello! I'd like to play with realism, so I've some questions for farmers in real life (or if you know about it 😊).

1) Do you spread lime? When?
2) Do you spread manure, slurry or both? When?
3) If you use chemical fertilize, when? Solid or liquid one?
Thanks!
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
DEERE317

Re: A lot of questions about farming in real life

Post by DEERE317 »

Paco_86 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm Hello! I'd like to play with realism, so I've some questions for farmers in real life (or if you know about it 😊).

Thanks!
Small hay/garden operation here.
1. planning on just not sure when it will happen.
2. Manure, as slurry is “special” and has infrastructure/equipment requirements that are beyond solid manure. (And all our machines are to small)
3. Solid, from my limited reading liquid is much more expensive. (We also don’t have anything to sidedress or do infurrow while planting)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

What is infurrow? Can explain me please?
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

1. I spread the lime after plowing and before fertilize.
2. I don't use this more efficient is chemicals fertilize until you don't want have a bio farm.
garyst

Post by garyst »

1. Farmers spread lime in the fall before doing fall tillage. Soil tests are done to see which fields or sections of fields need lime or not.
2. Never seen a farmer in my life use manure for fertilizer here in Central Louisiana. Even farmers who have cattle don't spread it on their fields.
3. Ammonium nitrate liquid fertilizer is sidedressed in corn, cotton, milo, and sugarcane, and sometimes put in while planting. Dry fertilizer or micro nutrients are either applied before fall tillage or before spring tillage. Depends on the farm some like to do it in the fall some prefer the spring.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Adamvet wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 pm What is infurrow? Can explain me please?
when fertilizer is put on with the planter in the seed trench.
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

Ok thank you for explaining:)
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

garyst wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:19 pm 2. Never seen a farmer in my life use manure for fertilizer here in Central Louisiana. Even farmers who have cattle don't spread it on their fields.
Hi Gary,
What do they do with solid manure in LA then? Up here it is becoming a significant issue finding enough land within economic transportation distance of large feedlots to apply all the beef manure.
garyst

Post by garyst »

DirectCedar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm
garyst wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:19 pm 2. Never seen a farmer in my life use manure for fertilizer here in Central Louisiana. Even farmers who have cattle don't spread it on their fields.
Hi Gary,
What do they do with solid manure in LA then? Up here it is becoming a significant issue finding enough land within economic transportation distance of large feedlots to apply all the beef manure.
Not sure what they do with it. The cattle farmers here are not very big. Most have about 30 to 40 cows. I do notice they rotate them from pasture to pasture every now and then. I never had alot of interest in animal farming so I don't pay too much attention to how they farm them. I just notice that the farmers who have cattle and row crops farm their ground the same way the other farmers who don't have cows do. And I have never seen a manure spreader or slurry spreader being used here before or even by a farm. I did see one antique one for sale on the side of the road before but it looked like it was just being used as a decoration in someone's yard to hold some flower pots.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Paco_86 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm Hello! I'd like to play with realism, so I've some questions for farmers in real life (or if you know about it 😊).

Thanks!
1) No, don't need to where we live
2) Yes, both, manure goes down in the fall and spring, similar with liquid manure but we also spread that later into the summer. The difference is manure will give us more plant material in the ground, especially if it's straw manure, while slurry we can inject into the ground. Benefits to both.
3) We rarely do, most of our nitrogen comes from manure and slurry. If we do though, it's with a sidedresser (liquid nitrogen). Our sprayer is used specifically for herbicides
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Paco_86

Post by Paco_86 »

Mmmm I can see that there be differences between one and other place. I like to have information for make my game as much realistic as possible. I'm not a farmer, but I live near the countryside. Here (southern Spain) farmers seed crops (wheat, barley and oat) and olives (a lot of them 😁). They usually plough and seed in autunm, the crops are growing up during the winter (here the winters are not very cold). I guess that they fertize their crops in winter and spring. About June, fields are ready for harvest. Then, baling the straw and put the square bales making big "towers" in the fields. Rain is very, very rare in summer.
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

There are probably as many answers to your questions as there are farmers! There is no "correct" answer, some use chemicals, some are totally organic and some use both depending on their land ("Harry's Farm" on Youtube being an example just up the road from me).
garyst

Post by garyst »

Maybe try to see if you could find some YouTube videos of farms in Southern Spain where you are from and it might give you some ideas on some of the field practices more common to your area.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Thanks!
1) When the field needs it, and in the fall
2) No, but my neighbors spread manure in the winter and spring
3) We use dry fertilizer in the fall and some liquid in the spring, and the corn is side dressed with nitrogen
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

1. We spread lime usually in December (that's basically the middle of winter here)only spread on fields that need it,
2. We call manure dung here,that an slurry are usually spread anytime here apart from a few months during winter when theres restrictions in case off pollution due to rain, we spread away anyway.
3. Spread fertiliser from start of spring to late autumn. Not much chemical fertiliser spread here.