Pigs, are they worth it?

Mwal

Re: Pigs, are they worth it?

Post by Mwal »

Adamvet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 am With 40k profit yearly you will stack in the same point of the game. Come on, this not what we looking for.
In my opinion if you have around 600 milking cows you will do very good business. Just think what give you more benefits 40k profits yearly or 100k daily?
The answer is very simple.
I’m getting the impression he enjoys playing the game and wants to work his way up slowly not just smash 600 head in a barn and play ground hog day simulator
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

He wants to know if the pigs are worth to keep. So, I recommend cows and give the example what he can do with only 600 cows and what is the profits.
In my opinion definitely cows are more profitable then pigs.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Adamvet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 am He wants to know if the pigs are worth to keep. So, I recommend cows and give the example what he can do with only 600 cows and what is the profits.
I hope you know how expensive 600 cows are and the fact they eat probably 50-60k of TMR a day one 12 day seasons.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

To reach 600 cows is expensive and long way to go but anyway is a lot worth to do. If you fix GEA feeding system you will just care about to up feeding bay rest do this machine. I spread this 600 cows for 4 barn depends of their age and feeding cycle. If you set up everything correctly( all things in your cows breeding)you will surprised how profitable cows are. Try this with 600 pigs, I'm pretty sure that the profit will be much less.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I think, Mwal, that you're making me see what I was trying to figure out. I don't want to take on something that's overly time consuming for the profits made and that distracts from my main farming activities. In relative terms, I'm thinking of the animals not so much as a business (though I'd still like to make money on them) as they would be a hobby. So it sounds like if I want to use them for bacon, ham and sausage, that's the way to go. Otherwise, stick to the slow but steady cows for milk and steak.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Not looking to have 600 head of anything. Like I said, small time operation of around 100 head on the high side.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Adamvet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 am He wants to know if the pigs are worth to keep. So, I recommend cows and give the example what he can do with only 600 cows and what is the profits.
The question at the beginning of the post is pigs worth it? Not a debate between dairy cows and pigs. Just is pigs worth it? To answer that question, yes you will make money which is the point of farming.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Adamvet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 am With 40k profit yearly you will stack in the same point of the game. Come on, this not what we looking for.
In my opinion if you have around 600 milking cows you will do very good business. Just think what give you more benefits 40k profits yearly or 100k daily?
The answer is very simple.
2 or 3 times a year is closer.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah the only other thing I would say for pigs is you might be able to buy feeders in fall and sell in the spring to keep you arable farming busy time separate from your hogs, that’s what I plan to try right now actually as pigs are cheap after the corn comes off so it times out well for me and my busy spring planting doesn’t come till late spring or early summer. I also set up some bins an auger and a gravity box to simplify feeding and I will share my setup in the what’s going on on your farm thread tonight or tomorrow
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Adamvet wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 am To reach 600 cows is expensive and long way to go but anyway is a lot worth to do. If you fix GEA feeding system you will just care about to up feeding bay rest do this machine. I spread this 600 cows for 4 barn depends of their age and feeding cycle. If you set up everything correctly( all things in your cows breeding)you will surprised how profitable cows are. Try this with 600 pigs, I'm pretty sure that the profit will be much less.
To reach 600 pigs is much cheaper and their housing is cheaper. Meaning the ROI is similar if not better.
The only reason that there’s beef cows on my Medicine Creek Farms save is because I have a hay surplus, and a 100 head shed that realistically can’t have dairy cows being milked. Otherwise it would be pigs.
Dairy is a different ballgame and a daily milk check if I haul is always welcome due to cash flow reasons (which actually is another pig benefit as they are sold earlier giving better cash flow to pay the bills.)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I run 1,000 pigs on Greenwich in three units. They do make a lot of money for me, as long as I keep moving the weaners out of my smaller breeding pen and into the fatten yards because otherwise the breeder pen fills up and they stop breeding. The big change for me was putting in the feed mixer (it's on Modhub) so that I can use a variety of my arable crops to make balance pig food.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Adamvet

Post by Adamvet »

So what is your yearly net income for this 1000 pigs?
Liberator

Post by Liberator »

Pigs are worthless in seasons that for sure all the food they eat vs the sell off ,,numbers just don't add up better off selling the crops

any of these youtubers who say different have no real clue or never really tested them

take a look at this guy charts pretty spot on
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =478617488

holstein milk cows for the win

then again its just a game and you enjoy doing them good luck to you
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Liberator wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:00 pm Pigs are worthless in seasons that for sure all the food they eat vs the sell off ,,numbers just don't add up better off selling the crops

any of these youtubers who say different have no real clue or never really tested them

take a look at this guy charts pretty spot on
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =478617488

holstein milk cows for the win

then again its just a game and you enjoy doing them good luck to you
I manage to make money on both Medicine Creek (with realistic crop prices) and Elkader Iowa and that’s buying pig feed...
And they’re very low maintenance, clean, feed, water, and maybe bed once a day and they’re good.

Oh and your Google Sheet is meaningless as it’s for Chickens.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Would GEO make a difference as well? Don't know much about pigs, just throwing advice out while my gears turn
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!