Pigs, are they worth it?

lawm

Re: Pigs, are they worth it?

Post by lawm »

I am not going to quote bossman, but It's really not that bad if you're someone like me who plays at 5 times speed and skips the night without seasons. 200 hrs of gameplay......only if you play at 1x speed. Once you are reproducing more animals than you need I look at as it's all fun and profit at that point.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

lawm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm I am not going to quote bossman, but It's really not that bad if you're someone like me who plays at 5 times speed and skips the night without seasons. 200 hrs of gameplay......only if you play at 1x speed. Once you are reproducing more animals than you need I look at as it's all fun and profit at that point.
Bingo! Comment of the day. 9 day seasons X 4 seasons = 36 days X 24 hours a day = 864 hours so in less then a year you are in the black.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

lawm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm I am not going to quote bossman, but It's really not that bad if you're someone like me who plays at 5 times speed and skips the night without seasons. 200 hrs of gameplay......only if you play at 1x speed. Once you are reproducing more animals than you need I look at as it's all fun and profit at that point.
300 hours at 5x speed is 60 hours IRL time. 200, is 40 hours; both of which are not insignificant.

Also, it's not just how long it takes to break even, its the fact that while the player has half a million tied up in animals, they could have that same half million invested in more land, getting a greater return on investment.

Farm Sim is balanced around how much interaction the player has with the task, which dictates how much money they will make. Animals require about 5-10 minutes per in game day, which is relatively low in comparison to other tasks such as harvesting. In the long run, no matter what you do in game, you end up earning about the same $$ per IRL hour with base game equipment and settings. The economy is balanced around how much time it takes the player to do task X, not really about how much something earns IRL. This is why certain mods break the economy because it changes the math, demoting some tasks and promoting others (horse helper rather than player actually riding the horses).
Bingo! Comment of the day. 9 day seasons X 4 seasons = 36 days X 24 hours a day = 864 hours so in less then a year you are in the black.
Seasons uses different math, so the payback time will change. Animals in seasons are more competitive than the base game in general.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The beauty of this game is that there are many ways of doing it, bossmanslims numbers are just one example.

Lone oak pig is only $80k plus it holds more.
Surely don't need a $72k slurry tank when a $10k one will do.
The potential grain sell price is not your grain cost if you grow it yourself. If your cost was the sale price you'd never make a profit selling grain.

Also don't forget you don't really loose all the initial cost of items, no matter how long you have it the land can be sold back at full cost, buildings at half cost.

Depending on your plans for your save game you can save a lot by starting out with less pigs, I started with 10, not 150. Saved alot of initial cost right there, the reproduction rate is pretty high, you can have 150 sows in no time if that's what you want
lawm

Post by lawm »

I believe Mwal Was using 9 days as a reference because The OP said they were playing on 9 day seasons. But either way they are profitable. If you wish to be turning a profit the same day you set up the pig farm, then no, you're probably not going to like pigs lol
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

blue_painted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:51 pm
I run 1,000 pigs on Greenwich in three units. They do make a lot of money for me, as long as I keep moving the weaners out of my smaller breeding pen and into the fatten yards because otherwise the breeder pen fills up and they stop breeding.
The big change for me was putting in the feed mixer (it's on Modhub) so that I can use a variety of my arable crops to make balance pig food.
I went looking for the feed mixer, is this the one you speak of?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Or this?

Though, that is not on consoles
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Bryan83 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:44 pm
blue_painted wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:51 pm
I run 1,000 pigs on Greenwich in three units. They do make a lot of money for me, as long as I keep moving the weaners out of my smaller breeding pen and into the fatten yards because otherwise the breeder pen fills up and they stop breeding.
The big change for me was putting in the feed mixer (it's on Modhub) so that I can use a variety of my arable crops to make balance pig food.
I went looking for the feed mixer, is this the one you speak of?
Sorry, I should have said. Mine's a fixed base one This is the one. I found that I could put it under a big poly tunnel.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Ah, that would be incompatible with my platform.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:51 pm https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Sorry, I should have said. Mine's a fixed base one This is the one. I found that I could put it under a big poly tunnel.
Have you seen this one you only need maize to create pig food with it.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

norfolk farmer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:47 pm
blue_painted wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:51 pm https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Have you seen this one you only need maize to create pig food with it.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Thanks for the tip. I had already started my big pigs operation and 'm used to the 90,000 litres of the fixed machine. Looks good though.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

🤔
lawm

Post by lawm »

Mwal wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 pm🤔
No.....your supposed to respond with " wow that's amazing, tell me more" :mrgreen:
Matenlis

Post by Matenlis »

So, if you don't use Season's mod. How you make profit from pigs? Selling them? For example, if i have a 100pigs pen, how many would i sell? How many should i keep? I mean, they need over 70tons of each food type. Selling food would make me more money.
GRFS Club *thumbsup*
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Haha