Precision Farming Q re Oilseed

dogwalker1

Precision Farming Q re Oilseed

Post by dogwalker1 »

Oilseed radish is not present in the crop rotation planner (presumably as it is not a cash crop). However, in the crop rotation planner and in the field info display (the one you see when walking on a field), sunflower and canola are classified as 'oilseed'. What I'd like to know for certain, is whether I suffer a yield penalty for sunflower or canola (crop type 'oilseed') if I planted & cultivated oilseed radish immediately preceding. On the Field Info display the 'previous' and 'before previous' values shown are crop types (cereal legume, root, oilseed), not the actual crop, so it isn't obvious when I see the previous or before previous as 'oilseed' whether that was sunflower, canola or oilseed radish. From my gameplay I get the impression oilseed radish is not included in this display and therefore (hopefully) does not cause a yield penalty on subsequent oilseed type crops, but lumping canola and sunflower into the same crop type as oilseed radish creates some confusion and uncertainty I feel.

Does anyone know for fact? Have you tested it, or seen it in any documentation (I haven't found anything clear in writing)?
DEERE317

Re: Precision Farming Q re Oilseed

Post by DEERE317 »

dogwalker1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:09 pm Oilseed radish is not present in the crop rotation planner (presumably as it is not a cash crop). However, in the crop rotation planner and in the field info display (the one you see when walking on a field), sunflower and canola are classified as 'oilseed'. What I'd like to know for certain, is whether I suffer a yield penalty for sunflower or canola (crop type 'oilseed') if I planted & cultivated oilseed radish immediately preceding. On the Field Info display the 'previous' and 'before previous' values shown are crop types (cereal legume, root, oilseed), not the actual crop, so it isn't obvious when I see the previous or before previous as 'oilseed' whether that was sunflower, canola or oilseed radish. From my gameplay I get the impression oilseed radish is not included in this display and therefore (hopefully) does not cause a yield penalty on subsequent oilseed type crops, but lumping canola and sunflower into the same crop type as oilseed radish creates some confusion and uncertainty I feel.

Does anyone know for fact? Have you tested it, or seen it in any documentation (I haven't found anything clear in writing)?
Oilseed Radish has zero crop rotation effect (it and wheat are my winter cover crops)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

DEERE317 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 pm
dogwalker1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:09 pm Oilseed radish is not present in the crop rotation planner (presumably as it is not a cash crop). However, in the crop rotation planner and in the field info display (the one you see when walking on a field), sunflower and canola are classified as 'oilseed'. What I'd like to know for certain, is whether I suffer a yield penalty for sunflower or canola (crop type 'oilseed') if I planted & cultivated oilseed radish immediately preceding. On the Field Info display the 'previous' and 'before previous' values shown are crop types (cereal legume, root, oilseed), not the actual crop, so it isn't obvious when I see the previous or before previous as 'oilseed' whether that was sunflower, canola or oilseed radish. From my gameplay I get the impression oilseed radish is not included in this display and therefore (hopefully) does not cause a yield penalty on subsequent oilseed type crops, but lumping canola and sunflower into the same crop type as oilseed radish creates some confusion and uncertainty I feel.

Oilseed Radish has zero crop rotation effect (it and wheat are my winter cover crops)
Without meaning any offense, how are you certain? Is that your assumption/understanding, have you done a controlled test, or found some credible information source?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

dogwalker1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:19 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Without meaning any offense, how are you certain? Is that your assumption/understanding, have you done a controlled test, or found some credible information source?
I’ve planted thousands of acres on Medicine Creek with seasons and it doesn’t show up in the previous crop sections of field info.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
dogwalker1

Re: Precision Farming & Seasons Q re Oilseed

Post by dogwalker1 »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 am it doesn’t show up in the previous crop sections of field info.
Yes, per my 1st post that is the impression I got as well, however I'm not 100% certain that proves it. I don't see the code to the PF and Seasons mods so I don't know what data is uses to determine crop yield bonuses or penalties. What you see in the field info may just be values stored separately solely for the purpose of that display... (From my career experience with program code I know that is not far-fetched at all). I think I'll just have to put it on my to-do list to do a little controlled test. I suspect it works as you say, however I dot not just assume anything works logically or as intended with these mods because there have been a number of issues with them already... some fixed, and possibly some not.

Thanks for your response just the same.

Edit: It occurs to me the title of this thread should have been 'Precision farming & Seasons Q re Oilseed' as crop rotation is a Seasons feature I believe. This post edited accordingly.