Precion Farming application rates

Atledreier

Precion Farming application rates

Post by Atledreier »

I've noticed that the application rates when using Precision farming is constant, regardless of speed.

The application rate is listed as "amount / hectare"", but the actual depletion rate of material from the tool is constant, independent from the speed of the tool.

Is the game assuming max speed of the tool? Some other speed?
Either way it's wrong to denote the application rate as "per area" when it's clearly independent of speed.

I've submitted it as an issue.

It's easy to see, just note the rate at which material is used in your tool at full speed. Then slow down to 2-3kph, and the rate is the same, wher it should be much lower.
Yes, I have checked automatic application is enabled.
kahfs

Re: Precion Farming application rates

Post by kahfs »

The rate of nitrogen application is not the same as rate of fertilizer application. As far as I can tell, the mass fraction of nitrogen is assumed to be 27% for solid fertlizer and much smaller for organic sources. So an application of 370 kg/hectare of a solid fertilizer corresponds to 100 kg nitrogen. I don't know if the numbers are controlled by the driving speed. But as far as I can tell, the amount of fertilizer spread seems reasonable. It is difficult to tell from the running numbers, as the total amount used per hectare is an average for the field.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

kahfs wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 pm The rate of nitrogen application is not the same as rate of fertilizer application. As far as I can tell, the mass fraction of nitrogen is assumed to be 27% for solid fertlizer and much smaller for organic sources. So an application of 370 kg/hectare of a solid fertilizer corresponds to 100 kg nitrogen. I don't know if the numbers are controlled by the driving speed. But as far as I can tell, the amount of fertilizer spread seems reasonable. It is difficult to tell from the running numbers, as the total amount used per hectare is an average for the field.
Are you sure you understand the OP's question? To add a given amount of nitrogen to an area you need to use twice as much fertilizer product driving at (eg) 5 kph as you would driving at 10 kph. In this example you'd be putting twice as much fertilizer on the field going slower but achieving the same nitrogen increase in the soil, which makes no sense... This has been raised before by others as a suspected flaw. If the mod makers intended it this way it would be nice of them to explain and justify why they feel this is appropriate.

I'd be interested to know what response is given to the issue the OP has opened.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

I know the question was about the effect of driving speed. I'm just think the spray rate displayed in the hud while spraying is the field demand at a particular spot on the field, not the flow rate of the sprayer. I don't believe there are any numbers in the hud showing the sprayer flow rate.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Regarding the spray rate displayed, perhaps so. I simply timed the rate at which the remaining fertilizer in my spreader decreases and it appears to be constant regardless of speed.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Yes I think that would be the case. I don't think the modders intended for the mass flow rate to be variable. I guess in real life manure spreaders and solid fertilizer spreaders need to run at a fairly fixed setting to throw the material sufficiently far out and the application rate need to be adjusted by driving at a certain speed. If the mod were to do the same, the mod would have to control the speed of the tractor. That said, I think it would have been nice to see an indicator showing the current flow rate. The mod VariableSprayUsage does vary the flow rate as a function of driving speed, but unfortunately, it does not vary the application rate as a function of the field need.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

There’s no modders involved with this chunk of code.
It’s developers as it’s technically an official DLC.

I’ll go back to my technicality hole now... :lol: (also known as just having finished a Thrawn novel and loving strict technical logic)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Atledreier

Post by Atledreier »

kahfs wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:50 pm Yes I think that would be the case. I don't think the modders intended for the mass flow rate to be variable. I guess in real life manure spreaders and solid fertilizer spreaders need to run at a fairly fixed setting to throw the material sufficiently far out and the application rate need to be adjusted by driving at a certain speed. If the mod were to do the same, the mod would have to control the speed of the tractor. That said, I think it would have been nice to see an indicator showing the current flow rate. The mod VariableSprayUsage does vary the flow rate as a function of driving speed, but unfortunately, it does not vary the application rate as a function of the field need.
Exactly.

The application would still be metered though, so there should at least be a way to see the current application rate, or set the target application rate and the implement try to follow it.

Right now it seems the application rate is set to max implement speed, which is way too fast for most scenarios. Using your mod (which is insanely awesome and transforms the game!) means every drop of fertilizer is precious. I also use a lot of mods affecting grip and weight, so going full speed is a downhill experience if ever.