Potatoes.... what is the point?

Bryan83

Re: Potatoes.... what is the point?

Post by Bryan83 »

Mwal wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm
this_is_gav wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 pm
Mmm. By pure chance I made some dauphinoise potatoes tonight to go with my sea bass. Definitely not cut and dried though. That would be awful.

You forgot fondant potatoes too, the best kind. Potatoes plus butter and a meaty stock with seafood or steak... [insert Homer drooling smiley].
Gotta share a link of some (in your opinion) acceptable recipes for food if your gonna talk about eating things here, I wanna try but I don’t wanna get burned with a shitty recipe
You pays yous money and you takes yous chances.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Mwal wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm Gotta share a link of some (in your opinion) acceptable recipes for food if your gonna talk about eating things here, I wanna try but I don’t wanna get burned with a shitty recipe
I don't think I followed a recipe, I just learned from parents like most, but this is pretty much how I do it:
BBC Good Food | Fondant Potatoes

Oh what the heck, I'll write it out myself!

Use a King Edward or Maris Piper or similar and pick potatoes so they'll all be roughly of a similar size. Peel and cut them into a circular shape - I use a fluted scone cutter for ease (a pure circular one tends to be harder to cut, plus the fluted ones have more surface area) though you could use a knife or just use the potatoes as they are I suppose (though they'll probably be quite big). Once cut to size, trim the top and bottom so you have a flat surface (you don't have to cut the tops and bottom off completely, unless for presentation) and all the potatoes are roughly the same height, wash and pat dry. Keep the offcuts of the potatoes in a pan or bowl of water for some mashed potatoes or something the following day.

If using stock cubes, then prepare that in a jug or something. You'll want around a pint / 500ml, but you'll probably not need it all.

Heat a sauce pan on a medium-high heat with a little oil. Once hot, place the potatoes in and leave for 3-4 minutes or so and then check one to make sure it's not burned (you want a golden brown) and leave for a longer if needed (5 minutes should be enough, but it depends on the potato). Turn the potato over and repeat.

Once that's done reduce the heat to a lowish-medium heat, pour in enough stock to reach about 3/4 of the way up the potatoes (it will spit), add thyme, salt and black pepper, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes. Add more stock if the pan is going to dry out.

You can use beef or veal stock too, but I prefer chicken regardless of what it's being served with. Either proper fresh stock or just stock cubes.

When you cook the stock down it thickens up, so you can get a nice rich sauce if you want it too. Take the potatoes out (making sure not to break them, as they'll be very soft) and if needed turn the heat of the stock really high (max setting on the hob for me), add a knob (or three) of butter and let it reduce quickly - it should only take a minute or two and thicken more when removed from the heat.

It particularly goes well with a rich meat like a steak with mushrooms or something like pan-fried Salmon, though frankly depending on how much you reduce the sauce it will go with most meat dishes.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Thanks Gav, I will give it a try and let ya know what I think. I’m excited I like trying foods I’ve never heard of.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

chedly_farms wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 am
tom1979 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 am Can anyone enlighten me as to the point of potatoes in FS19?
Ohh I got this one fam...

The game is called Farming Simulator. So they put crops that you can produce by farming. Pretty cut and dry.
Why don't we have wearable wellies in the game?

I want green welly boots with laces up the front.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

FarmBoss wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:28 am
Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:07 am
FarmBoss wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 am Was somebody offended by the image of the potato that was posted earlier? Are they now going to try and cancel farmers?
Potato farming is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna' get.
Apparently so, I even got a warning over it. Lol
That's funny, and sad.
Funny, your sense of humor.
Sad, somebody had their feelings hurt over a potato. *thumbsup*
Maybe it didn't conform to German precision requirements, or EU shape requirements, for a potato?
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

I'm saying nothing :wink3: :blushnew: :lol: :lol:

Board warning issued
Sent: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:25 pm
Recipient: Feirmeoir Eireannach

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=963&p=1383467#p1383467 .

Adult content, even suggestive one, is not allowed on our forums.
BernardC

Post by BernardC »

For potatoes i always have been thinking that the point can be only a decimal point, what else :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm I'm saying nothing :wink3: :blushnew: :lol: :lol:

Board warning issued

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=963&p=1383467#p1383467 .

A potato...? Oh my... I think GIANTS and their mods really need to make sure their version of Google Translate is up to date. Or take an English refresher course.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Feirmeoir Eireannach wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm I'm saying nothing :wink3: :blushnew: :lol: :lol:

Board warning issued

I suspect somebody drives a large pickup.
Paco_86

Post by Paco_86 »

French fries, one fried egg and two sausages. Delocious meal 🤣
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmBoss wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 am
I don’t get the reference, what if he has to pull heavy things
Guil

Post by Guil »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Board warning issued

A potato...? Oh my... I think GIANTS and their mods really need to make sure their version of Google Translate is up to date. Or take an English refresher course.
Chaki isn't a moderator
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Guil wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:40 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Board warning issued

Chaki isn't a moderator
I said GIANTS and their mods
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

DMZ Commander wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 pm I actually really wanna mess with the sugar beet addon mod....gonna YouTube some tutorials on it regarding the animal feed bc those pellets fall into the same category as tmr
I saw this mod the other day, not had chance to play with it yet, but am going to give it a whirl next time I fire up the game. I'm wondering if there would be a similar mod made then for Potatoes, which expands their use a bit more or gives players a few more options to do things with them. I know there are already mods for washing, steaming potatoes and we have factories that can take those and output them to other things, but they are many separate mods and I'd sooner see it all pulled together and contained in one single mod like the Sugar Beet mod for compatibility and hopefully a bug free experience.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Mwal wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 am
I don’t get the reference, what if he has to pull heavy things
There's a saying that men who drive large pickups are trying to compensate for something that's lacking.
I don't want to get too "Adult" and end up with a warning.