How licenses and branding on console works

Riven326

How licenses and branding on console works

Post by Riven326 »

So why is it that brands like Caterpillar aren't available on the console but are available on the pc? Is it a licensing issue, and if so, why does it only affect console?
Mwal

Re: How licenses and branding on console works

Post by Mwal »

Because consoles don’t want to support potential profits off an unlicensed brand that could lead to a lawsuit.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

And good luck controlling PC mods.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

DEERE317 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 am And good luck controlling PC mods.
At least through third party sites, Giants still maintains control over modhub.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Bryan83 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:36 am
That’s what I was referring to.

My nice longish explanation for everyone else who’s interested:
GIANTS is ultimately powerless over PC mods as a whole without totally revamping the mod system and/or bankrupting themselves running around enforcing their ownership of mods all over the internet (i3D files are all GIANTS property regardless of who created them, which is how they ban mod selling.)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

If I had to fathom a guess as to why I would imagine when console controls what content is available to you so if they make something available to you and someone sues they’re liable. If you put content on your pc for free there’s no profit and the liability is on the individual who created it/shared it, because a pc is built/owned/decided what to do and not to do with by it’s one individual owner. Dunno if you will ever get a legitimate reason without tracking down a lawyer from Sony, I believe they were the system most at issue with unlicensed brands.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

They did toutch on this subject in the ffirst podcast too. ( i belive it was the first)
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Mwal wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:06 am If I had to fathom a guess as to why I would imagine when console controls what content is available to you so if they make something available to you and someone sues they’re liable. If you put content on your pc for free there’s no profit and the liability is on the individual who created it/shared it, because a pc is built/owned/decided what to do and not to do with by it’s one individual owner. Dunno if you will ever get a legitimate reason without tracking down a lawyer from Sony, I believe they were the system most at issue with unlicensed brands.
Promoting an unlicensed product, its probably in the agreements somewhere in there interweb
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Bryan83 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:36 am
So the modhub on the PC version is the same as the console? In other words, the only reason these unlicensed brands exist on PC is because they can be downloaded from third party sites?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Pc is different, we can get scripted mods. As far as unlicensed brands on the official mod hub I’m not certain what giants policy is. I can’t off the top of my head list any unlicensed brands but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Maybe someone can list some if there are any.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Guideline Item 9.3 Manufacturer licenses
Test Method:
Only licenses from manufacturers from the basic game, DLCs, Addons, or by arrangement, are allowed on the consoles. NoName/Fantasy-Brands are allowed as long as they cannot be directly associated with the moddername (no self-promotion!), if possible Lizard should be used.
Pass / Fail Determination:
Fail:
• Usage of additional licenses or inadequate fantasy brands
Exception:
None
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:36 pm Guideline Item 9.3 Manufacturer licenses
Test Method:
Only licenses from manufacturers from the basic game, DLCs, Addons, or by arrangement, are allowed on the consoles. NoName/Fantasy-Brands are allowed as long as they cannot be directly associated with the moddername (no self-promotion!), if possible Lizard should be used.
Pass / Fail Determination:
Fail:
• Usage of additional licenses or inadequate fantasy brands
Exception:
None
So it is a console specific rule? Seems rather odd given that Bethesda games let you do whatever you want on the console. Even items from other games are modded into their games without issue. I wonder why Giants aren't afforded the same deference?

Furthermore, it's my understanding that this wasn't an issue in FS17. I remember seeing several unlicensed items and logos in that game on the console versions.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Riven326 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm it's my understanding that this wasn't an issue in FS17.
No, it totally was. We also had these same types of posts pop up quite often because of the big green and yellow elephant in the room before FS19.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Riven326 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm
So it is a console specific rule? Seems rather odd given that Bethesda games let you do whatever you want on the console. Even items from other games are modded into their games without issue. I wonder why Giants aren't afforded the same deference?

Furthermore, it's my understanding that this wasn't an issue in FS17. I remember seeing several unlicensed items and logos in that game on the console versions.

That’s incorrect, if they were in 17 on consoles they slipped through the cracks. Also Bethesda doesn’t allow certain mods on PlayStation, and to be completely truthful it’s a good thing. Xbox cannot handle many of the mods it has available to the point where it’s comical they paraded it as a feature. I was originally irritated by Playstations stance on mods until we tried on my brothers Xbox and realized the only difference is he has to hunt and pick his mods out on Xbox and on PS4 most everything works🤷‍♂️ I will give you the best advice I have, buy a PC and a ps5 you will have access to all Xbox games plus all PS exclusives and mods you want. Xbox made itself obsolete in my opinion.

Edit:also Bethesda’s mod hub is a lot like giants when you head to nexus where the real mods are.... well the real mods plus several hundred pages of boob mods haha
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Seems like everyone hit on the answer. If you're wondering about unlicensed brands on console, like Mwal said, they may have slipped through the cracks. Some modders get permission to release a brand on the ModHub, like the Bobcat skidsteer in 17 and some of the European mods in 19. Can't remember who, someone's been bringing a bunch of small brands to the ModHub.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!