Buying used vehicles

Riven326

Buying used vehicles

Post by Riven326 »

It would be cool if we could buy used vehicles and equipment in the game. The option to lease works well enough, but having to buy everything brand new seems silly.
DMZ Commander

Re: Buying used vehicles

Post by DMZ Commander »

PC has the buy used machinery mod on the in game modhub
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

DMZ Commander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 pm PC has the buy used machinery mod on the in game modhub
So I guess it must have scripts. Shame Giants can't simply put it into the game themselves.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Well if you want to look into it, we do something like that, just not in game per se on the Community Trader. Link in my signature.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

I kind of sort of have a vague idea what you might be getting at with this request, but until there is any difference at all in performance, reliability, cost/benefit, maintenance, comfort, usability, features, or any other metric ever used to evaluate equipment, between "new" and "used" in this game, I suggest such such a differentiation remains meaningless. Just purchase whatever mod you want and cheat your money up or down to whatever you want, and pretend the rest.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

DirectCedar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 am I kind of sort of have a vague idea what you might be getting at with this request, but until there is any difference at all in performance, reliability, cost/benefit, maintenance, comfort, usability, features, or any other metric ever used to evaluate equipment, between "new" and "used" in this game, I suggest such such a differentiation remains meaningless. Just purchase whatever mod you want and cheat your money up or down to whatever you want, and pretend the rest.
Significant reduction in asking price for equipment. That would make it worthwhile, imo.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I think older/used machinery is something that is truly missing in the base game. And even with some mods, I feel modders are missing the mark with prices. The Fendt 800/900 Favorit's were a godsend on 17. You had older, high horsepower machinery at a nice sub 100k price. But then for 19, they have priced it in the mid 250k area. That pretty much removed the idea of buying them from my equations, when I can buy new machines for that price. Thank goodness for the older soundguard John Deere's, Cesearias Moddingm and NEPG modding for their older cheaper machines. Just my opinion, but it's nice to buy used machines at a discount, when you are getting a farm on it's feet.
Last edited by chedly_farms on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Maybe some future version can have some "barn find" tractors that are not in working order. Buy them for next to nothing, load them up and take them home to your garage to be rebuilt.
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

DirectCedar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:31 am I kind of sort of have a vague idea what you might be getting at with this request, but until there is any difference at all in performance, reliability, cost/benefit, maintenance, comfort, usability, features, or any other metric ever used to evaluate equipment, between "new" and "used" in this game, I suggest such such a differentiation remains meaningless. Just purchase whatever mod you want and cheat your money up or down to whatever you want, and pretend the rest.
This is the major problem. There's a PC mod that allows you to buy used gear. Your equipment will have something like 150hrs on it, be dirty and paint worn with the maint level low. Spend a few extra bucks to get it maintained and its good as new, only significantly cheaper. Might as well have cheated money in. And for some things like trailers, there's no need to even 'fix' it as having a low maint level means nothing in game terms.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 pm
Significant reduction in asking price for equipment. That would make it worthwhile, imo.
Then you may as well cheat money in as others have mentioned, if that is the sole gameplay purpose. No?
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 pm
What I'm trying to say is that there is NO difference in performance or features or capacity or reliability or efficiency or maintenance costs or warranty between "new" and "used" in this game. In real life there most definitely is. The trade-off between those things and cost, is a management decision that every operator makes for her or himself when deciding to run new or used. If you buy "used" for less money in this game you're functionally just getting a brand new machine at an arbitrarily lower cost, with none of the real-life potential consequences of being used. Hence the effect is the same as cheating your money to whatever you want to represent whatever you think the "used" price is for a machine, and pretending the rest. There is no mechanism in the game to meaningfully represent this.

The paint system kind of touches on it but is purely aesthetic and almost economically irrelevant. The maintenance system and the engine hours counter could totally be used to implement this, but they're not. They don't consider how old or worn out a machine is.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

It would be cool if the store had a used selection of tractors that has maybe 30,000 or more hours on it. Maybe the maintenance meter could move a little faster on used vehicles, and breakdown chance would be higher. Even if only classic machinery was offered as used, that would be something...maybe even better.

I agree though, if the only difference is price, then that's pretty pointless. Would you like to pay $60,000 for this new tractor, or would you like to pay $30,000 for this tractor and call it used.
PS4
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:24 pm It would be cool if the store had a used selection of tractors that has maybe 30,000 or more hours on it. Maybe the maintenance meter could move a little faster on used vehicles, and breakdown chance would be higher. Even if only classic machinery was offered as used, that would be something...maybe even better.

I agree though, if the only difference is price, then that's pretty pointless. Would you like to pay $60,000 for this new tractor, or would you like to pay $30,000 for this tractor and call it used.
30,000hrs is pretty much a pipe dream for a tractor (a tractor that’s actually used for anything other than stationary PTO work and even that’s pushing it). And even for construction equipment they’ll be pretty rough.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I guess 30,000 is a little extreme. It wouldn't really matter how many hours they have though as long as they're not just cheaper versions of new machines. In game terms, 500 would be a ton of hours, so they could go with that. Maybe the maintenance meter should only be able to fill to 3/4 or something like that for used equipment so it needs to be serviced more often.
PS4
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I think in order to really make this concept work, you'd have to introduce some kind of script (or perhaps an engine? Don't know the right word, not a programmer) that would randomly issue a break down and assign a cost to get the vehicle/implement working again. Then tie that into total hours on a machine, the higher the hours, the more frequent or likely for a breakdown to occur. You almost would need an entire separate program so it could randomly choose which part fails.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)