FS22 - The little things that make a difference

theSeb

Re: FS22 - The little things that make a difference

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm We know it is too late for major changes but there are a number of small things, where it might be just adjusting a parameter or providing a user-setting, that I'd like to see changed in FS22, most of these have already been addressed by mod in FS19.

1. Save player position -- For people who don't get to play very regularly it's helpful to pickup from where they left off.

2. Sleep anytime and set the wake up time -- it's not really "sleep" it's more "I'm finished for today, let it be tomorrow"

3. Higher fuel consumption -- the standard levels means that fuel usage isn't relevant, just give a third option

4. Enable DEF

5. Reduce attach distance -- in FS17 it looked like 3m, in FS19 it seems to be 5m, would be nice to take it down to 1 or even 0 m

6.Search on the mod selection screen, the one just before the map loads

7. Workshop tabber

8. Progressive steering - it makes such a difference!

9. Save the regional settings, or better yet allow the map to set them: US$ for US maps, £ for UK maps etc

10. Allow multiple farmhouses/sleep points in single player

These are the first ten I thought of, over the last three years, and BIG THANKS to all the modders who have already solved these issues in FS19
A few comments

1. I've never seen this as something useful, probably because all of the machines stay in place, so it does not matter where the player is after loading the game, since a quick tab, or a few of them, gets the player back into the machine in seconds

3. Standard fuel usage in the game is not far off from real life. If you play at 1x speed, then you will run out of fuel at pretty much appropriate times. The "problem" is that many people do not play at 1x speed and the fuel use is not scaled to time. The question is though whether it should be. When you use faster speed settings, your equipment continues to move at the same speed, therefore it is using the diesel at the same rate. It is an interesting and much longer discussion exactly what the consumption rate should do in a game like this.

4. DEF is enabled already and simulated in the game for newer equipment, which should be using DEF. If you enable vehicle debug information, you will see that vehicles have a DEF tank and it is used at a slower rate than diesel. This is correct and as it should be. But every time you refuel with diesel (which is more often than you would refuel DEF) the DEF gets refuelled automatically. This is why you never run out of DEF. I assume what you are actually asking for is for the DEF to not be refuelled automatically and for the player to have to do it manually.

6. Desperately needed. Also, the ability to create mod groups. Sure, one can do that manually on the PC using folders, but it would be nice to have it in the game. This way you can create a mod group, like EU, or small farmer, or whatever and just enable that mod group to match the map you have selected.

7. Again, desperately needed. I am pretty sure some mod enables this
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

GothicKing13 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:29 am I agree with Noraf on the auto update of mods. I don't want that to be a feature either. For example... the global company "stationary baler". I had to uninstall that because the in game modhub said it had an update. When it 100% it paused for a second and then restarted downloading again and kept repeating over and over. I had to uninstall it to get it off the list so I could get the other mods updated. Then downloaded from the website's modhub because the in-game one wouldn't go past 100%. Eventually just deleted it once and for all because I accidentally selected it again during another update run. Go figure...
Autoupdate would destroy the game for me. I make local edits to a lot of mods. But this means that the game always thinks that the mod should be updated, because the hash check between the local and the server versions fails. If there was an autoupdate that could not be switched off, modders could not test newer versions of their mods that they have have already released either, because the game would continuously overwrite their local changes. An update all button would be handy for 99% of players though. "Toggleable" autoupdate would be good too.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

theSeb wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am
blue_painted wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm We know it is too late for major changes but there are a number of small things, where it might be just adjusting a parameter or providing a user-setting, that I'd like to see changed in FS22, most of these have already been addressed by mod in FS19.

1. Save player position -- For people who don't get to play very regularly it's helpful to pickup from where they left off.
(snip)
theSeb wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am 1. I've never seen this as something useful, probably because all of the machines stay in place, so it does not matter where the player is after loading the game, since a quick tab, or a few of them, gets the player back into the machine in seconds
It's useful for me because I can go days or weeks been without playing on a farm, so if when I go back I'm standing next to a dung spreader with a fork then I know that I'm spreading dung on this farm.
theSeb wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am 3. Standard fuel usage in the game is not far off from real life. If you play at 1x speed, then you will run out of fuel at pretty much appropriate times. The "problem" is that many people do not play at 1x speed and the fuel use is not scaled to time. The question is though whether it should be. When you use faster speed settings, your equipment continues to move at the same speed, therefore it is using the diesel at the same rate. It is an interesting and much longer discussion exactly what the consumption rate should do in a game like this.
In my opinion, with the farms scaled down in size and the time scaled, I'd guess that 5x is about the norm, the useful unit of time becomes the working day and so fuel consumption should match on a working day basis.
theSeb wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am 4. DEF is enabled already and simulated in the game for newer equipment, which should be using DEF. If you enable vehicle debug information, you will see that vehicles have a DEF tank and it is used at a slower rate than diesel. This is correct and as it should be. But every time you refuel with diesel (which is more often than you would refuel DEF) the DEF gets refuelled automatically. This is why you never run out of DEF. I assume what you are actually asking for is for the DEF to not be refuelled automatically and for the player to have to do it manually.
I really mean implement the DEF mod, see below.

(snip)
theSeb wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am 7. Again, desperately needed. I am pretty sure some mod enables this
Workshop tabber mod -- almost all of these "little things" have been implemented by mod, which suggests that it doesn't require major code changes to the underlying engine.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Re: the fuel thing. Look, I get it. Some people don't have full time jobs, families, spouses, or otherwise any form of real life and they can put 12 hour days into a video game and plant thousands of acres for weeks and months at a time. But for some others, we just like to play in our free time and get a job done in less than a real life month. So a faster fuel burning option would be nice for those of us that are playing on standard-sized maps and for an hour or two a day.

I mean, I know I'm not a real virtual farmer like some of you guys, but I've been on Stone Valley for several simulated years farming most of the map now and I have a 9RX with almost 50 hours on it. That thing has been fueled maybe three or four times in 4 or 5 years. And this tractor does all the heavy tillage in spring, runs an air drill in the fall, and sometimes is on a grain cart. Real-life fuel burning rates in a game where the entire map is smaller than a lot of real-life fields is an area that could use some adjusting.

But yeah OP, I like all of these ideas. Nice list.

*this post is meant to be entertaining, educational, humorous, opinionated, and mildly sarcastic. Don't get your virtual overalls in a wad.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

fenixguy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:08 pm Re: the fuel thing. Look, I get it. Some people don't have full time jobs, families, spouses, or otherwise any form of real life and they can put 12 hour days into a video game and plant thousands of acres for weeks and months at a time.
I don’t get a whole lot of time to play during the spring/summer/fall/early part of winter. I run a lot of acres but I play on 1X most of the season, and at most during this time might get the occasional couple hour play period a week/month when the weather is bad and I can’t work construction or farm. I would strongly recommend farming with proper sized equipment on a larger farm and playing 1X. I may only plant a field, harvest one, spray a couple fields, or some other single job. Even though it’s only one task at a time and may take several weeks or even months to complete a day or two, it’s incredibly rewarding and I don’t tend to go through the burnt out on the game phase many do. I’ve also played the same map and the same save since seasons was released on pc. I would highly recommend playing this way as it’s been by farm my most enjoyable experience with farm sim thus far.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

I'd like to see multiple stores in FS22 - that way we could seggregate main dealers onto different sites on the map, and seperate the machinery vendors from the consumables vendors.

I also hope the "new animals" is not just more colours for the existing ones, but is actually new species such as goats, turkeys, alpacas, (Scottish) Highland Cattle and (Texas) Longhorns, geese & ducks (that swim), fish farm options, etc.

More leaf and root crops would be good too, as well as flower and herb fields. Plus the ability to collect the toppings for use in the sileage pit (surely the existing potato and beet harvesters have some sort of leaf collection process in the real world?)

My biggest wish is to move away from having to use multiplayer "farms" for local organisations such as highway agencies, emergency services, etc., and to be able to have them as entities with their own inventories outside of farms. I realise this is more of a roleplay requirement than a farming one, but it'd be a nice add.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
lawm

Post by lawm »

Mwal wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, I like current fuel consumption if they tripled or quadrupled fuel consumption like many people want I would have to park a semi tanker on the headlands
Maybe switch varying rates of consumption depending if on console or pc.....or size of map for pc so if your on standard size its console rate but if 16x map then it slows it by that rate.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

lawm wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 pm
Mwal wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear, I like current fuel consumption if they tripled or quadrupled fuel consumption like many people want I would have to park a semi tanker on the headlands
Maybe switch varying rates of consumption depending if on console or pc.....or size of map for pc so if your on standard size its console rate but if 16x map then it slows it by that rate.
High fuel consumption would have to be restricted an extra item in the fuel consumption option, because there are standard maps with larger fields than some 4x maps.

Fuel consumption: Low, Realistic, High.

I see no reason why that can't work. I love MVP 19, but not if I had to park a fuel tanker beside my 70ha and 90ha fields every time I worked them.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Luftkopf wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:11 am

High fuel consumption would have to be restricted an extra item in the fuel consumption option, because there are standard maps with larger fields than some 4x maps.

Fuel consumption: Low, Realistic, High.

I see no reason why that can't work. I love MVP 19, but not if I had to park a fuel tanker beside my 70ha and 90ha fields every time I worked them.
True, but for me it's always seemed too low. I guess the maintenance meter dropping as fast as the fuel just seemed out of balance. But this is coming from someone who has yet to reg use anything much larger than a 40 series on console lol
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Here is my suggestion. Make separate layer of ground textures depending on the implement and its use. That means if player is no till seeding have the "sown" texture with lots of residue/stubble. Im liking the new cultivated ground textures they did get those right. Also make a different ground texture for moldboard ploughed ground and chisel plowed/ripped ground. Plows and tillage in general need to be reworked. But atleast add different ground texture for chisel plows they dont turn over the soil and make ditches like moldboard ploughs rather they just rip it. On screenshot with massey ferguson and kuhn direct drill giants again failed to capture how direct no till drill seeders behave. The soil being bare with no residue after being sowned directly on the stubble is completely and utterly wrong.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

Here is my suggestion. Make separate layer of ground textures depending on the implement and its use. That means if player is no till seeding have the "sown" texture with lots of residue/stubble. Im liking the new cultivated ground textures they did get those right. Also make a different ground texture for moldboard ploughed ground and chisel plowed/ripped ground. Plows and tillage in general need to be reworked. But atleast add different ground texture for chisel plows they dont turn over the soil and make ditches like moldboard ploughs rather they just rip it. On screenshot with massey ferguson and kuhn direct drill giants again failed to capture how direct no till drill seeders behave. The soil being bare with no residue after being sowned directly on the stubble is completely and utterly wrong.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

It's too late to be making suggestions, as has been pointed out by others. Release date in the fall, which means they are finishing off whatever they have planned, polishing, gameplay balancing etc.

They are unlikely to be reading the forums and going, "oh yeah, that's brilliant! Let's add that and then we celebrate with the customary drinking of lager!".

All of these are lists are just wish lists and a sure way for people to overhype themselves and end up disappointed.
BernardC

Post by BernardC »

theSeb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 pm It's too late to be making suggestions, as has been pointed out by others. Release date in the fall, which means they are finishing off whatever they have planned, polishing, gameplay balancing etc.

They are unlikely to be reading the forums and going, "oh yeah, that's brilliant! Let's add that and then we celebrate with the customary drinking of lager!".

All of these are lists are just wish lists and a sure way for people to overhype themselves and end up disappointed.
*thumbsup* *thumbsup*
faruk9154

Post by faruk9154 »

theSeb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 pm It's too late to be making suggestions, as has been pointed out by others. Release date in the fall, which means they are finishing off whatever they have planned, polishing, gameplay balancing etc.

Why not bigger changes? There is another 6-7 months. Not less.
:hi: :!: Simulation of the King :!: :hi:
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

faruk9154 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:41 pm

Why not bigger changes? There is another 6-7 months. Not less.
No one remotely sane would be making large scale changes this close to release. As a complete guess I'd say 80% of the devs' time is being spent making sure that the things that are supposed to work do work, and that any changes to make them work don't stop something else from working.

As a general point, I made this about little things not because they are largely the sort of thing that could be implemented by adding one more value to a setting or similar ... and I really don't expect GIANTS to take any notice of this thread; they'll have their own hitlist of things to get done.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads