How do you start?

Dagrump

Re: How do you start?

Post by Dagrump »

Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm I use the paint brush tool to examine the map. It's so much faster than driving around.
Good idea. Sure is a lot quicker. However, my slow tour with a 21 or 24 mph tractor is doing a double duty. I make heavy use of Auto Drive and my tour is also setting up AD paths on the road ways. But doing the "paint brush" review gets a better look at the land. Now what do I do? :confusednew:
Farming with a Dell PC on Maps:
FS17: Loan Oaks Farm and Western Shore
FS19: Upper Mississippi River Valley, Bucks County, Pa, Huron County Michigan
FS22 Back Roads County, Stone Valley 22, Green Valley Nebraska and Huron County Michigan
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

It sort of depends on the map, but basically:
  • Sell everything possible and I do mean everything. I've straight up quit maps after this stage even though I thought I would like them because the map had stuff as part of the starting farm I couldn't sell and didn't want or like.
  • Buy a plot of land, usually a small plot
  • Buy an older tractor in the 130-180 hp range
  • Buy a chainsaw, seasons field tool and precision farming tool
  • Buy a trailer of some sort
  • Either: Buy a ripper plow, a small spreader for lime and fertilizer, small seeder and cultivator if needed OR buy a bunch of stuff to setup the first crop ASAP and then sell it all.
  • Buy either small hay equipment or a small combine
  • Buy consumables sell point (container mod)
  • Buy a house of some sorts
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Lufarms wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:31 pm
Guil wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:15 pm There is no percentage scale for crop destruction or weeds. It's on or off and not sure if you can turn off weeds in seasons
There is in seasons. Maybe it was added in the last update.
Yes, I added it in the last update.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

It was added in Seasons version 1.3.0.0 - you can set the scale from 10% to 100%. If I am not mistaken, the damage scale effects the crops on how badly they react to droughts (may be wrong) and I believe the weeds... was done so you could say (set the scale to 100% and the field would be fully covered as in the base game, this way you can still hire a worker to do the weeding).
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

GothicKing13 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm It was added in Seasons version 1.3.0.0 - you can set the scale from 10% to 100%. If I am not mistaken, the damage scale effects the crops on how badly they react to droughts (may be wrong) and I believe the weeds... was done so you could say (set the scale to 100% and the field would be fully covered as in the base game, this way you can still hire a worker to do the weeding).
No matter what weed scale you use a field can eventually be fully covered in weeds, given enough time (could even be multiple years on the lowest weed scale setting because where the weed hits is randomly calculated). The setting changes how quickly this happens
Hallers

Post by Hallers »

I like to start with the smaller farms on the maps with small/medium older machinery, medium economy settings, and often I take out big loans to get it more of a challenge. Seasons is a "must have" for my gameplay. small scale farming is what I find entertaining as big scale farming often get too busy. This is what I like about FS, that we can all play the game just as we find amusing.
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

I start opposite of most people it appears. First thing I do is figure out what I want to do, but its always larger. Do I cash crop, dairy, mix of both or custom contracts? Then I find property I want and sell everything. I enjoy buying a field and placing my own building and barn. I usually cheat in the money I need because I've already did the grind of being broke. Buy equipment and go from there.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 am
GothicKing13 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm It was added in Seasons version 1.3.0.0 - you can set the scale from 10% to 100%. If I am not mistaken, the damage scale effects the crops on how badly they react to droughts (may be wrong) and I believe the weeds... was done so you could say (set the scale to 100% and the field would be fully covered as in the base game, this way you can still hire a worker to do the weeding).
No matter what weed scale you use a field can eventually be fully covered in weeds, given enough time (could even be multiple years on the lowest weed scale setting because where the weed hits is randomly calculated). The setting changes how quickly this happens
Ah, okay. That was my mistake, thank you for explaining that to me. I thought it was so the whole field would cover evenly as so the AI wouldn't throw a fit about weeding it. But, alas... since you're in the the discussion and on the subject of Seasons. Would you mind I asked you a question of my own? If you don't mind, what I'd like to know is...

I've always done a bit of forestry here and there, usually to clear out areas to make build something or to create a new field. But, something I have never done... is actually plant my own little forest to go into it myself. This is something that I want to try my hand at. I enjoy doing a bit of logging and want to give it a go... so I am thinking of planting my own little forest to clear and replant. Now, the question/s. From my understanding... BASE GAME - Fully Grown Trees take about 10 Days to Grow, but... around the Day 6 Growth for them is the "FINAL" harvestable stage for the Sampo Rosenlew Tree Harvester (which if calculation are correct, that's 2 growth stages off of fully grown). So... for an earlier point in forestry with SEASONS. From my understanding it's about 6 years for fully grown? But, at which year would be the final limit for the Sampo Harvester for them? :hi:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I've done the "grind from nothing to a workable farm" since FS2011. I'm kinda over it unless it's a very special map that would make sense in doing so.

So now I start on New Farmer, sell everything that I don't want, max out the loan, buy what I want, and get going. I'm more into role-playing than grinding so that's how I do it. I also only play with Seasons and try to play each map with a slightly different theme.

I still don't cheat money. It's too easy to make. I enjoy digging my way out of millions of dollars of virtual debt.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

GothicKing13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 pm
Ah, okay. That was my mistake, thank you for explaining that to me. I thought it was so the whole field would cover evenly as so the AI wouldn't throw a fit about weeding it. But, alas... since you're in the the discussion and on the subject of Seasons. Would you mind I asked you a question of my own? If you don't mind, what I'd like to know is...

I've always done a bit of forestry here and there, usually to clear out areas to make build something or to create a new field. But, something I have never done... is actually plant my own little forest to go into it myself. This is something that I want to try my hand at. I enjoy doing a bit of logging and want to give it a go... so I am thinking of planting my own little forest to clear and replant. Now, the question/s. From my understanding... BASE GAME - Fully Grown Trees take about 10 Days to Grow, but... around the Day 6 Growth for them is the "FINAL" harvestable stage for the Sampo Rosenlew Tree Harvester (which if calculation are correct, that's 2 growth stages off of fully grown). So... for an earlier point in forestry with SEASONS. From my understanding it's about 6 years for fully grown? But, at which year would be the final limit for the Sampo Harvester for them? :hi:
I unfortunately have absolutely no idea. I cannot remember the max tree size that the little Sampo can handle. The game basically allows to set tree growth rate via script, which is what we've done and obviously set it a lot lower than the base game with some calculations for the year length based on seasons length, if i recall correctly. It's a big code base. :confusednew:
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Oh, okay. Thank you for the response. I'll just check up on my forest each winter and when they look good and are harvestable I'll go ahead and drop them. I know, I'll loose a bit of money. But, I can't let them grow past the harvestable state of the Sampo. Hard Eco... I'll upgrade when I can. I enjoy taking my time, start small and build big. Example, my current farm I'm using Case as the field tractors. :hi:

Start Tractor: Farmall 560 w/ Tricycle Front Wheels
End Tractor: CASE IH Quadtrack.
Hallers

Post by Hallers »

Deereslayer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am I start opposite of most people it appears. First thing I do is figure out what I want to do, but its always larger. Do I cash crop, dairy, mix of both or custom contracts? Then I find property I want and sell everything. I enjoy buying a field and placing my own building and barn. I usually cheat in the money I need because I've already did the grind of being broke. Buy equipment and go from there.
Roleplaying the right maps in seasons I is quite fun. Been doing this on chellington now for a while. Have now just started a logging savegame on crater lake. started this on hard economy setting as I find it`s a bit to easy with logging on medium economy setting.
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm I use the paint brush tool to examine the map. It's so much faster than driving around.
I use that or the dog kennel. So much quicker than driving or teleporting to sell points. Haha.
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

I start on New Farmer because I like seeing how the modder has set things up. I’ll then look around the map to get a lay of the land. Usually at this point sell what equipment I don’t want, and replace it with stuff I do, max out the loan, and get a ‘grant’ of 1-5 Mil to purchase enough land and equipment for it to be interesting. After the first year, once I’ve harvested all the right crops to feed them, I’ll start getting animals as I can afford them.

If I like the map, I can then spend hundreds more hours on it.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Mr Seb, anyone have any idea why the small Massey baler on console bales disappear afterr midnight when using seasons ? Probably the sole reason I try not using seasons