Row crops

DEERE317

Re: Row crops

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:54 am They asked specifically for row crops, and saying drilled in soybeans are a row crop is like saying setting your laptop on the desk makes it a desktop
The glorious world of FS. Ignoring or overly simplifying many aspects of agriculture all in the name of making a game everyone can play.
Maybe not such a bad thing as the number of caveats and asterisks on pretty much everything in terms of Agriculture is mind numbing (yet highly entertaining for me :lol:)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

theSeb wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 pm
Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:50 pm
fenixguy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 pm That's correct. There are no "rows" in-game. And there is no difference in soybeans planted with a planter or drilled with a seeder.

You can drive all over the potatoes too. It doesn't matter as long as you either have narrow tires or turn crop destruction off.

I just make sure it makes sense in my head for what realism I'm going for.
They really need to fix that in the next game. Row crops without the rows. Thought I was doing something wrong this whole time. :lol:
About 0.1% chance of that changing
I know of a simple png file and instruction kit that changes the textures of row crops to actual distinguished rows when planting. What makes you think it won't happen? (not trying to be rude, purely curious) :hmm:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:10 am
Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:50 pm
They really need to fix that in the next game. Row crops without the rows. Thought I was doing something wrong this whole time. :lol:
I know of a simple png file and instruction kit that changes the textures of row crops to actual distinguished rows when planting. What makes you think it won't happen? (not trying to be rude, purely curious) :hmm:
I've met with some of the Giants folk and had interesting chats with some of the top brass, including one of the founders. Great bunch of people, but this kind of thing is just not something that they would want to even think about, never mind actually change, based on those chats in my opinion.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

theSeb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 am

I've met with some of the Giants folk and had interesting chats with some of the top brass, including one of the founders. Great bunch of people, but this kind of thing is just not something that they would want to even think about, never mind actually change, based on those chats in my opinion.
I'm guessing that's because it wouldn't fit with their view of what the Farm Sim series should be: You've said elsewhere that the game(s) are intended for eight year olds to drive their favourite tractors, but is that really the intention?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Given we don't get multi terrain angle as standard I'd say that's an indication how they feel about making things look real.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:27 pm Sunflowers.

Technically anything put in with a drill or planter is rows, just some are really narrow.
I knew I forgot one.

And no, stuff planted with a drill are not row crops in the context of this conversation.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:27 pm Sunflowers.

Technically anything put in with a drill or planter is rows, just some are really narrow.
I knew I forgot one.

And no, stuff planted with a drill are not row crops in the context of this conversation.
I’m aware. Just was throwing that technical tidbit out.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm

I'm guessing that's because it wouldn't fit with their view of what the Farm Sim series should be: You've said elsewhere that the game(s) are intended for eight year olds to drive their favourite tractors, but is that really the intention?
That's pretty much the impression that I got. They are happy for it to be a tractor sandbox game that young kids can easily pick up and enjoy. In order for players to have something to do, it just happens that they need to plant and harvest. I believe that this is why we have unrealistic working speeds etc... to make sure that kids have fun and do not get bored / frustrated. There is nothing wrong with that - 96% of the players who bought the game are now playing the latest Fifa, or Fortnite, or COD, but this is why I keep telling people to temper their expectations every few years when a new FS game is announced.

I see many people then say, well, we should have options and toggles! Toggles for everyone! The problem with that is you are increasing the complexity of development and testing with each and every option. What happens when the toggle is on, then off or the other way round. One needs to design/implement/test with the toggle on, then toggle off, then on/off or off/on.

In my view toggles that change key ways how a game works shows that the game designers have no conviction and belief in their design. Generally you end up with a bad implementation no matter whether it's toggled on or off, because you had to spend the time to implement both that could have been spent on either one.

It was j_maybury who said recently something along the lines of "you cannot make everyone happy and when you try to with options, you end up with something that nobody likes". I completely agree with that view.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:20 pm
blue_painted wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm

That's pretty much the impression that I got. They are happy for it to be a tractor sandbox game that young kids can easily pick up and enjoy. In order for players to have something to do, it just happens that they need to plant and harvest. I believe that this is why we have unrealistic working speeds etc... to make sure that kids have fun and do not get bored / frustrated. There is nothing wrong with that - 96% of the players who bought the game are now playing the latest Fifa, or Fortnite, or COD, but this is why I keep telling people to temper their expectations every few years when a new FS game is announced.

I see many people then say, well, we should have options and toggles! Toggles for everyone! The problem with that is you are increasing the complexity of development and testing with each and every option. What happens when the toggle is on, then off or the other way round. One needs to design/implement/test with the toggle on, then toggle off, then on/off or off/on.

In my view toggles that change key ways how a game works shows that the game designers have no conviction and belief in their design. Generally you end up with a bad implementation no matter whether it's toggled on or off, because you had to spend the time to implement both that could have been spent on either one.

It was j_maybury who said recently something along the lines of "you cannot make everyone happy and when you try to with options, you end up with something that nobody likes". I completely agree with that view.
And our hypothetical 8yr old is lost the moment he/she hits escape by those toggles (or when creating a save) due to all the options and not knowing what everything does.

Then if this hypothetical kid turns on a realism feature he doesn’t understand then he’s confused and unhappy, or just gives up. And potentially/probably returns the game on Steam, shelves it, or sells the Cd/game key. Ultimate ending? No one wins.
And the realistic player would still be unhappy with those toggles for one reason or another.
There’s a reason I love mods/modders like you guys.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

We'd said it before, we've said it again. This place would not have the community it does without modders.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

The game series has been moving in that direction for a while, and while I understand there reasons for going down that direction, it does still disappoint me massively. But then I see comments posted on this forum and other places where it's obvious many facets of the game don't matter to that player at all.

It's reached a point where it's impossible to please all play styles as default, so all we can really hope for is a stable base game, that is not overly restrictive.

For example something like multi terrain angle, which for me is a must, as long as GIANTS make a way for us to mod it into the game still that is what is important.
But if they were to hardcode that part of the game making it impossible to alter, then that would be a big negative.

If anything I wish GIANTS would work with modders more, that way modders could implement there mods better, make them more optimized, more compatible, and less buggy for the players to enjoy, not to mention be able to release them sooner into the games life.

It's an ironic fact that the best time to play a Farm Sim release is just before the next version is announced as you have all the mods available, the majority of bugs have been ironed out, and the game is at it's peak. Yet we don't get to enjoy it as the majority start playing the new game on release.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Currently, even with Seasons, PF, and crop damage turned to 100% you can zoom all over your crops with impunity to treat them after they've started growing... Now I'm no farmer irl but I have my doubts about that. In a more realistic game I don't think driving over sown crops at any stage would be a good idea. You'd always need to respect rows and the game mechanics for fertilizing and applying herbicide would need to change - and if you can't reach the whole crop to treat it with the equipment you have, well too bad, your yield suffers, space your rows correctly next time and drive carefully... I'd be down for all that but a percentage of the target market would likely not.
BulletBill wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm It's an ironic fact that the best time to play a Farm Sim release is just before the next version is announced as you have all the mods available, the majority of bugs have been ironed out, and the game is at it's peak. Yet we don't get to enjoy it as the majority start playing the new game on release.
So true, and the reason I'm usually late on board. Thank god for modders, you guys turn the raw material that is this game into something I can really get into!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You can drive over crops when they are small and they will bounce back. How else do you turn a sprayer in a field with endrows? That's why you spray before they get too big and before the rows get covered. Then you need a plane or high boy and take a little damage.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

dogwalker1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:17 pm Currently, even with Seasons, PF, and crop damage turned to 100% you can zoom all over your crops with impunity to treat them after they've started growing... Now I'm no farmer irl but I have my doubts about that. In a more realistic game I don't think driving over sown crops at any stage would be a good idea. You'd always need to respect rows and the game mechanics for fertilizing and applying herbicide would need to change - and if you can't reach the whole crop to treat it with the equipment you have, well too bad, your yield suffers, space your rows correctly next time and drive carefully... I'd be down for all that but a percentage of the target market would likely not.
BulletBill wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm It's an ironic fact that the best time to play a Farm Sim release is just before the next version is announced as you have all the mods available, the majority of bugs have been ironed out, and the game is at it's peak. Yet we don't get to enjoy it as the majority start playing the new game on release.
So true, and the reason I'm usually late on board. Thank god for modders, you guys turn the raw material that is this game into something I can really get into!
In Europe we use tramlines and CTF is becoming a big thing too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlle ... ic_farming
Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:39 pm How else do you turn a sprayer in a field with endrows?
Like this

But I am not sure what you mean about "impunity" because you will damage the crops that you drive over after the first growth stage, iirc.
Last edited by theSeb on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

With narrow row soybeans some people drive diagonal to the rows to run over less