Tillage equipment

bossmanslim

Tillage equipment

Post by bossmanslim »

I was thinking about one of the main problems in the game in that the tillage equipment is all smashed together and is a big mess. The current field states are the primary reason for this. Only one of the states has any impact on yield and the other states are only a hinderance if the player chooses to plant certain crops and not use planters that also cultivate. With the current equipment line up and even with all the settings turned on, there is the ability to never use a single piece of tillage equipment.
  • Needs plowing - the only state that has any impact on yield and then it only shows up if periodic plowing is turned on AND the player plants a crop that requires plowing
  • Plowed - removes "needs plowing" and prevents planting unless the seeder also cultivates.
  • Cultivated - allows planting to occur
Plows are given their own category which is only for moldboard plows, which in some parts of the world are rarely used. Cultivators is actually a mix of harrows, chisel plows, rippers and actual cultivators. Discs are functionally the same as cultivators, only with less HP per meter requirements and move faster, which is why no one in their right mind would ever use a cultivator other than for aesthetics. Subsoilers cultivate and plow, even though in real life the don't really do either.

My proposal

Changes in field states and mechanics:
  • Needs plowing - if turned on, regardless of crop, the field needs to be "plowed" every 3 harvests. The represents the compaction built up in the field.
  • All crops produce chaff. The quantity of chaff should be lowered and the price of fertilizer needs to come up.
  • Root crops and corn do not affect "needs plowing"
Changes to equipment
  • Plows - removes "needs plowing" and also prevents weeds for the next growth to harvest cycle. Sets the field to plowed state. Trade speed for 1 herbicide/weeder pass. Can create new fields
  • Subsoilers - removes "needs plowing" and doubles the time to the next "needs plowing" (every 6 harvest cycles based on above). Subsoilers also do not change the field state, only remove the "needs plowing" flag. Trade speed for only having to do it half as often.
  • Primary Tillage (Chisel plows & Rippers)- removes "needs plowing" and sets the field state to plowed. Pure speed choice. Can create new fields.
  • Secondary Tillage (Cultivators & Harrows) - changes state from anything to cultivated; if chaff was left on the field, it gains 1 level of fertilization. Trade straw for fertilizer.
  • Discs - discs should either be put in with primary or secondary tillage based on their intended purpose.
  • Seeders and planters that cultivate do not give the fertilization bonus that secondary tillage equipment gives.
theSeb

Re: Tillage equipment

Post by theSeb »

Why should ploughing prevent weeds completely?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

theSeb wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:55 pm Why should ploughing prevent weeds completely?
It should increase weeds if my understanding is right IRL.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Why should it increase weeds?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Plowing/ripping/cultivating/etc would destroy the weeds that growing at that time, but the weeds will grow again.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Farmercaseih wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 pm Why should it increase weeds?
Pulls up new seeds.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

All of the fields that we do tillage on are almost 100% weed free, and I know someone who plows every year and he has clean fields too
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Farmercaseih wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:16 am All of the fields that we do tillage on are almost 100% weed free, and I know someone who plows every year and he has clean fields too
Weeds probably gave up growing. :lol:
Just have read of guys bringing up weed crops with it, or guys who don’t. Guess it’s just another ask 5 guys get 11 answers.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

I put weeds removal on plows as it would give people choices, with benefits/cons, when making equipment selections. As of now, there is absolutely no reason to use a plow.

Also: https://www.farmprogress.com/tillage/sh ... tant-weeds

"we know that one deep tillage operation to bury the seed can get that to a more manageable level", meaning that if plowing is done periodically and not every year, then weeds can be reduced due to the seeds rotting in the ground.

More:

https://growiwm.org/tillage-and-residua ... -amaranth/
https://extension.umn.edu/herbicide-res ... tant-weeds
https://www.syngenta-us.com/herbicides/ ... tant-weeds
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I can wholeheartedly assure you that moldboard plowing does not automagically prevent all weeds for the whole year. It helps to reduce/control weeds, sure. I know because I have plowed my own grass fields. As stated in the links you mention it is a " component of the weed management program."

The point I was making is that if people want to request "realistic features" then we should be wary of what we are asking for. A case of "be careful what you wish for"
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

theSeb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:02 pm I can wholeheartedly assure you that moldboard plowing does not automagically prevent all weeds for the whole year. It helps to reduce/control weeds, sure. I know because I have plowed my own grass fields. As stated in the links you mention it is a " component of the weed management program."

The point I was making is that if people want to request "realistic features" then we should be wary of what we are asking for. A case of "be careful what you wish for"
I never claimed to be suggesting the changes in actual realism. I was more trying to work within the system and enhance gameplay for the tractor driving game that has aspects based in reality, but heavily simplified/massaged/altered for gameplay purposes.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

bossmanslim wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm
theSeb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:02 pm I can wholeheartedly assure you that moldboard plowing does not automagically prevent all weeds for the whole year. It helps to reduce/control weeds, sure. I know because I have plowed my own grass fields. As stated in the links you mention it is a " component of the weed management program."

I never claimed to be suggesting the changes in actual realism. I was more trying to work within the system and enhance gameplay for the tractor driving game that has aspects based in reality, but heavily simplified/massaged/altered for gameplay purposes.
In general I agree with you that the concept of "seed bed prep" and having a purpose for the different tillage equipment in the game would be a great addition to the game.
Phila

Post by Phila »

agree be nice to remove some oddities like drilling straight into ploughing. and making a seed bed out of pasture is different to one after wheat . But of course economic drivers , science and practice changes approaches over time and the game does not have the balance of fuel, labour and repair costs right that so limit real life kit choices. 1970s UK - everything ploughed, now min till rules.