Alright, I’m going to the darkside- Questions

chedly_farms

Alright, I’m going to the darkside- Questions

Post by chedly_farms »

So I’m gonna do it. I know some people ask, why it’s taking me so long. But I’m really going to do it. I’m gonna play seasons. So I have some questions.

How long does it take for female cows to mature and have the stork bring them a calf?

How many cuttings of hay can you count on in an average year?

If I have anymore I’ll ask later. K thanx bai.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
DEERE317

Re: Alright, I’m going to the darkside- Questions

Post by DEERE317 »

9 months IRL without looking at a gestation table (so may be wrong). So 3 seasons in game.
2 or 3 hay cuts. At least with the Geo on Medicine Creek Farms don’t wait until it’s the darkest ready to harvest stage, just do it once it shows ready to harvest as I wasted many a second and potentially 3rd cut getting a fully grown 1st cut and waiting for second to reach the darkest stage.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Cows: To answer your animal questions - https://www.realismusmodding.com/blog/2 ... imals.html - that's a detailed description on what and how the animals have changed with Seasons. Hope it answers the questions you have. It's very detailed.

Grass: I guess this would depend on the GEO you are using, yes? I usually get 2... but, I run a GEO that simulates a wetter/colder environment. If I'm lucky enough with weather I can get one with early/mid summer and then squeeze one more with mid/late fall. The fall one is usually my problem child of hay production... I have been rained out of it drying and even had snow pop up on me once trying to get it to dry. (Like I said... I like cold/wet - Harsh Environments). :hi:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

So the only cattle option is if I go to the feedlot route, Instead of having a herd of female Angus’s and have a couple bulls and selling off the young males. Ohh well.stick to non seasons i guess.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
jtsage

Post by jtsage »

My first hand experience, because I do love to start all over and then get bored (either 6 or 9 day seasons):

Cows - if you buy them right out of the gate when you start, most of them will have calves the following spring. The stragglers by that summer. At which point they will start giving milk. 3 months after the birth, they are pregnant again. Lifespan is 10 years.

Hay - Assuming you leave a field planted, and the weather cooperates, you'll get 3 cuttings. Probably only 2 the first year. As to drying it to hay, in my experience that's a roulette game. PC player here, so I cut anyway and use a hay dryer, which I understand is not an option on consoles. Of course, if you let the grass grow until favorable drying weather, you're probably going to only get 2 cuts per year.
J.T.Sage
PC / XBox (former) Player
https://github.com/jtsage
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

^^^ Aha - the hay dryer... I really do need break down and clear out a space for that on my farm. I'll definitely get both rounds of hay on. Might even squeeze a third by cutting grass sooner in the summer. I really do have very scarce drying potential with my current GEO. It's a subarctic climate, short... cool summers and long bitter winters. Very thin drying potential. I love the challenge!
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

chedly_farms wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:32 am So the only cattle option is if I go to the feedlot route, Instead of having a herd of female Angus’s and have a couple bulls and selling off the young males. Ohh well.stick to non seasons i guess.
Sorta kinda. No female Angus' but on Geiselsberg I have cows (Holstein and Ayrshire) in the dairy barn, and all the males that get born get carted over to a seperate yard to be raised.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Luftkopf wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:38 am all the males that get born get carted over to a seperate yard to be raised.
Why do you do that? Does it cause an issue just raising them with the females (who I'm pretty sure end up inseminated anyway without males present)? Or is it just an element of realism you're introducing there...
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

dogwalker1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 pm
Luftkopf wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:38 am all the males that get born get carted over to a seperate yard to be raised.
Why do you do that? Does it cause an issue just raising them with the females (who I'm pretty sure end up inseminated anyway without males present)? Or is it just an element of realism you're introducing there...
I expect part of it is easier to track weights, don’t have to sort through the cows and heifers to find their weights. And some people use meat pens (no milk or manure triggers) to grow them out and/or to free up their dairy barns cow capacity.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

And I thought you were talking about the light saber mod
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

dogwalker1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 pm Why do you do that? Does it cause an issue just raising them with the females (who I'm pretty sure end up inseminated anyway without males present)? Or is it just an element of realism you're introducing there...
DEERE317 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm I expect part of it is easier to track weights, don’t have to sort through the cows and heifers to find their weights. And some people use meat pens (no milk or manure triggers) to grow them out and/or to free up their dairy barns cow capacity.
DEERE317 summarised it nicely. Because the farm has two yards built in, and one of them is a dairy yard and the other is a cattle yard, I figured I’d play it as such because it felt right. The main benefit for me is freeing up the dairy barn for better productivity.
jah6575

Post by jah6575 »

GothicKing13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 am Cows: To answer your animal questions - https://www.realismusmodding.com/blog/2 ... imals.html - that's a detailed description on what and how the animals have changed with Seasons. Hope it answers the questions you have. It's very detailed.

Grass: I guess this would depend on the GEO you are using, yes? I usually get 2... but, I run a GEO that simulates a wetter/colder environment. If I'm lucky enough with weather I can get one with early/mid summer and then squeeze one more with mid/late fall. The fall one is usually my problem child of hay production... I have been rained out of it drying and even had snow pop up on me once trying to get it to dry. (Like I said... I like cold/wet - Harsh Environments). :hi:
Which one are you using if you don’t mind my asking? Geo that is.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

jah6575 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 am Which one are you using if you don’t mind my asking? Geo that is.
No, not all. Depending on my save... Queensland Australia for my Cane Farm. Then I've a save running a GEO of U.S. Midwest, another of Germany, then there is my colder climate save. Northern Sweden, instead of planting, Early Spring I'm still working animals and battling snow. I love it. :biggrin2:
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Although, I'm not saying I can't bring in 2 rounds of hay. But, a on a few occasions I have had a run of bad luck with weather and colder temperatures. Soon as I've the money to spare I'll set up a hay dryer and not worry about the drying time. :coolnew:
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

I hate to ask, but I've looked around and count find anything. What % of moisture does the grass have to be at to become hay? Mine is sitting at 16% now and I don't know if it'll turn to hay in time or if I should just bale it and wrap it, sell it for silage. I am going to buy sheep and want to have a stock pile of hay first.
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.