More Built-In Mod Hubs

theSeb

Re: More Built-In Mod Hubs

Post by theSeb »

Bersson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm
theSeb wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:19 pm ... I am still not buying your argument that setting up such a site by giants would help the situation, nor that it would be self-sustaining, nor that it would solve any problems.
I’m not being very stubborn about that idea. Of course, it has flaws. The bottom line: Modders are robbed of Modhub Downloads. I think that’s sad.

The positive news is that modders can fight back, like Perma’s Modding just did.

(It’s not 1 million pageviews, btw. It’s a million visits with an average of 8 pageviews each…)
Yes, indeed it is visits, which is what I was thinking of, but clearly didn't type. I don't think that would change the ad revenue very much because I would be shocked if anybody clicks on the ads on these sites, unless they misclick.
JacerShepherd

Post by JacerShepherd »

The web-based version of Giant's Mobhub has a terrible search engine and horribly outdated method of categorizing mods. Some of these reposting sites have really good search engines and super-easy-to-drill-down mod categories (as in depth and breadth). My 2 cents is this is one of the reasons people use the vampire sites. I can literally go to the Modhub and put in the name of the mod, word for word and spaces exactly as it is in the title of the mod, and get either (1) no results or (2) no useful results. Do the very same thing on some of the vampires, and (bite) there's your mod.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

JacerShepherd wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:11 pm The web-based version of Giant's Mobhub has a terrible search engine and horribly outdated method of categorizing mods. Some of these reposting sites have really good search engines and super-easy-to-drill-down mod categories (as in depth and breadth). My 2 cents is this is one of the reasons people use the vampire sites. I can literally go to the Modhub and put in the name of the mod, word for word and spaces exactly as it is in the title of the mod, and get either (1) no results or (2) no useful results. Do the very same thing on some of the vampires, and (bite) there's your mod.
As with most search engines the fewer terms the better. GIANTS search appears to class any match as a result. The more words you use the more results you get, though less chance of seeing the mod you're looking for among the likely numerous mods you'll see..
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I would definitely like to see a more organised and better search function in the next version.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Very good point about the search on the mod hub. It is terrible in actually searching and Giants could also invest in some SEO stuff as well for the search engines so that they don't get beaten in the search ranking.