More Built-In Mod Hubs

Aviationist101

More Built-In Mod Hubs

Post by Aviationist101 »

So, Something I would like to see is the ability to add more Modding sites into the game, or just more Sites in general! Something annoying is that you have a ton of mods downloaded, and you have a game with tons of progress, but your friend cannot join because they don't have the mods you have, and they're too lazy to go and install them. But what if, there was A thing where you could take Mod-Hub, but Duplicate all of the Files and stuff that's in the games Files, and change that Duplicate to say,...FS19.Net. I would love to have the Giants Software Devs to add FS19.Net to one of the official Mod pages, BECAUSE There are a lot more mods that are on FS19.net. But they both have different Mods, and if More mod websites were In the game, then you could easily join someone else's server, by just pressing space, like how your support too! Plus there will be a wider range of Mods that you could install while Playing the game! and an Idea for that is it's like tabs you can press, you can have the Mod-Hub tab open in-game and whatnot, but by the Mod-Hub Title, is the Title for the Other Modding website, you click it, and it shows the mods on that site. Or say, once again, for the Example I listed, you could be trying to join your Friends Server, and they don't have the mods, but they just click the Space-Bar and download the mods, so they can join! This gets Rid of the Problem where the Game Cannot Download the Mods/Dlc's that it cannot find, but you can get rid of that warning, or something! I hope, those of you who read this, Gets what I am meaning, and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the Right Place, but It would be nice to have this Reach the Devs, and have them add this possibly. :biggrin2:

Edit don_apple: topic moved from german to english section.
theSeb

Re: More Built-In Mod Hubs

Post by theSeb »

We can speculate and guess what may or may not be in future games, but this is one thing that will never be in the game. The reason why these websites exist is because they make money off the adverts. If they were directly in the game, they would not get advertisement money to pay for the servers to host the mods. There is 0 reason why the owners of 3rd party mod sites would want to be "directly in the game". Never mind the, shall we say, questionable quality of many mods that are released only on 3rd party websites with a few and notable exceptions.
L2K Perma

Post by L2K Perma »

theSeb wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:54 am We can speculate and guess what may or may not be in future games, but this is one thing that will never be in the game. The reason why these websites exist is because they make money off the adverts. If they were directly in the game, they would not get advertisement money to pay for the servers to host the mods. There is 0 reason why the owners of 3rd party mod sites would want to be "directly in the game". Never mind the, shall we say, questionable quality of many mods that are released only on 3rd party websites with a few and notable exceptions.
To add to that Seb, don’t forget that many of these sites including the one the OP listed, have no regard for the actual mod authors and use their own links which also generate revenue from the file hosting service and won’t take them down even after contacting them until you end up going through their web host and submitting a dmca through the web host.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

And the solution is a dedicated server...
There all mods are gathered, and can be downloaded as a zip.

Maybe a solution could be that with hosted games, the host can select if direct downloads should be allowed or not?
That way, if you just going to play with a friend or two, and don't use a gazillion mods not on modhub, they can get them automagically. But if you have an open, or a bad upload bandwidth, you can choose to disable that functionality.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
aklein

Post by aklein »

So, Sites like FS19.net... Well, lets see how to be somewhat nice about it.

Sites like FS19.net leach on modders. They do not tell you who uploaded the mod. Sure they list credits but you would be vastly mistaken to think that the person in the credits actually put the mod on that site. This site just like so many other "farm sim mod sites" employ bots to scour the web including Giants very own mod hub. These bots scrape other known mod sites and compare what is on those sites to their own. When they find something new the download the mod, strip the metadata out of the mod listing on that site and then upload the mod to some other download location and post it on their own site. 99% of the time the place they host the mod pays them some amount of money per download as well as having tons of misleading click bait style ads to get the unsuspecting user to do any number of things.

Well what is so wrong with having a website or multiple websites attempt to gather every possible mod released on the planet into one place? Well most of the time there is zero organization. How many mods on Giants own mod site do you see going thru numerous updates over the life of the mod. Most of these sites do not have any sort of version control so do you know if your getting the latest version? Then what's even better is these sites often have a way for you do comment. So many comments from folks who actually think the mod author will ever see their comment is truly sad. Since the author never put the mod there to begin with will they ever go looking for comments on random mod sites that have basically swiped the mod from where ever they did upload it and do actually maintain and support it.

Look thru the mods on that site and compare how many are also on the Giants mod hub. Then notice where the download is sending you to. It would be far simpler and cheaper for the owner of these sites to send you back to where the mod was first uploaded so someone else was paying the hosting fees wouldn't it? Then what ever version was downloaded was the latest version also. Periodically use a bot to make sure links still worked and remove dead link as they are found. But no they take the mod and rehost it so they can profit for others work. The original author does not see any of the downloads from sites like this so they have no idea how popular a mod might actually be.

There are a few good host sites out there but they are few and far between. How can you identify the good ones? well first off if you find mods that are both on the giants mod hub and one of these mod sites look and see where the download goes. If it goes back to Giants own webpage then its run by someone with some level of morals. if it does someplace else for the download then there just out to profit from others work and you should give them more of your time or attention.

Respect the modders get mods from the true source. it might actually take a little more effort but you can be assured your getting a legit copy of the mod that is the latest version and have a place to go to get support if needed.
Bersson

Post by Bersson »

Here’s an idea:

Giants creates its own version of these mod sites, e.g., “Giantsmods.com”. Ad revenue alone could probably pay for a couple of employees.
  • The site works exactly like FS19.net with direct downloads (no more Sharemods.)
  • Ad revenue is shared with modders (think YouTube.)
  • Modders creates accounts and are responsible for versioning (like Modhoster.)
  • The site is open for any mod submission.
  • No strict guidelines, the only rules are that the mod works in-game + no re-uploading of other people’s mods.
  • One or two employees handles mod theft allegations and in-game checks.
This could potentially shut down a lot of the parasite sites. It could also be a playground for aspiring modders. When controlling a site like this, Giants can also decide if and how it’s integrated into the game.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Here’s an idea:
Try reading the post by aklein just prior to yours
Bersson

Post by Bersson »

TheSuBBie wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 pm
Here’s an idea:
Try reading the post by aklein just prior to yours
I have, why do you ask me to?
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Bersson wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 pm Here’s an idea:

Giants creates its own version of these mod sites, e.g., “Giantsmods.com”. Ad revenue alone could probably pay for a couple of employees.
----snipp-----
This could potentially shut down a lot of the parasite sites. It could also be a playground for aspiring modders. When controlling a site like this, Giants can also decide if and how it’s integrated into the game.
But..... they have?? It's called the modhub......
And, no it haven't made the other sites obsolete... Yes i know, it isn't a free for all as you want, but can you imagine the hate when someone have downloaded a mod from the hub that crashed the game, and ruined the save?? And, besides, they would definently not get to consoles, as Giants would get in to trouble if a mod fried a console or hundres.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Bersson

Post by Bersson »

There are about 4,500 FS19 mods on Giants’ Modhub. On one of the parasite sites, I counted close to 30,000 (!) FS19 mods. That number includes, of course, Modhub re-uploads (stolen mods) and single uploads of versioned mods (v1, v2, and so on.)

A lot of PC players use those sites to get mods. Here are some traffic estimates:
  • That other Modhub: 1.5 million users per month.
  • Kingmods: 1.5 million users per month.
  • FS19 [dot] net: 1 million users per month.
I’ve made a couple of mods that were accepted on Giants’ modhub. I’ve witnessed how those mods were spread on parasite sites, robbing me of Modhub downloads and earnings.

Honestly, I don’t care. But I know many of the other modders do. Giants have stated that they won’t go after the parasite sites. They’ve said it’s up to the individual modder to pursue mod theft.

At least, from a modder’s perspective, it would be great to have a mod sharing environment outside the Modhub that a) is easier to access and b) helps fighting mod theft.

Noraf wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 pm But..... they have?? It's called the modhub...... And, no it haven't made the other sites obsolete...
Maybe the reason is that the Modhub has so few mods compared to the parasites?

I strongly believe a mod site owned by, or at least approved by Giants (Giants could partner with one of the good sites), will overtake the parasite sites as the go-to source for mods outside the modhub. Especially if Giants are willing to put some marketing power behind it.

And if the site offers direct downloads, instead of forwarding to Sharemods, it would most likely make many players happy too.

Noraf wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 pm ... but can you imagine the hate when someone have downloaded a mod from the hub that crashed the game, and ruined the save?? And, besides, they would definently not get to consoles, as Giants would get in to trouble if a mod fried a console or hundres.
Sure. The site needs some quality guidelines (and testers), but not as strict as the Modhub guidelines.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

The answer is quite simple, it would appear that even after reading the post you continue to hold this scam site up as a shining example of your ideal mod download site.

The majority of the mods on the sites you have mentioned are ones that have been modified/stolen or altered without the original modders permission and the quality, as has been previously mentioned is very very questionable, there are some very rare exceptions but you can still never guarantee that the uploader is actually the modder.

There is already a site approved by Giants which offers direct downloads, its called the modHub where the qualty testing is overseen by the game developer themselves, not only that the mods are accesible from within the game making downloading even easier.

What you are proposing is that Giants authorise substandard mods on a separate site with minimal testing/quality so undermining their own modHub guidlines, do you seriously think that is a good marketing idea.

As far as I'm concerned anybody who downloads a mod from anywhere other than the modhub is asking for trouble. as they say 'Buyer Beware'
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Reading through this topic there are a couple of points that stand out to me.

1) The independent mod sites do have a lot more mod choice. However 90%+ are absolute garbage, and at least will cripple your games performance, and at worse contain viruses. That's without getting into the whole illegal content without the original authors permission debate.

2) Modhub on the fact of it should be the best place to go for mods, and by and large it is. However Modhub's own standards are not always kept. The testing is so biased and inconsistent that unfortunately unless you know the right people, it makes it a stressful and frustrating experience, especially for a amateur modder wanting to learn and improve.

There is also the issue of Modhub's policy of not allowing multiple versions of the same model, which again is not always strictly adhered to. On the one hand you don't want 100 versions of the same tractor, however often the first one uploaded is often of questionable quality, as the better quality mods take more time to make. Personally I would like to see that limit extended to perhaps 3 of the same model to allow for geographical variations (US v, Euro spec) and also allow for better quality versions.
Also I think GIANTS should show the download numbers for all mods, back on FS-UK I always found this a much more accurate reflection of a mods quality than a "star rating" which tends to be heavily biased and still open to abuse.

3) The few independent mod sites that strive to uphold modders creative copyright and only host original mods, while also providing a feedback for the authors are a dying breed sadly.
This seems to be due partly to more of those users using Modhub, while many players seem to care little about who made the mod or how bad it is, as long as they can brag about having it in there mods folder.

Personally I feel Modhub needs to have a massive overhaul, and more focus put on it by GIANTS as a way to work with modders both experienced and newer ones.
The problem is whether GIANTS sees that use of resources as a good thing or a waste of time.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Bersson

Post by Bersson »

TheSuBBie wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:14 pm
The answer is quite simple, it would appear that even after reading the post you continue to hold this scam site up as a shining example of your ideal mod download site.
I’m sorry to have come across as a glorifier of parasite sites. I’m not. I want to get rid of them once and for all. Because Giants say they won’t go after and shut down the sites (which they could; sue one, scare the rest), I’m just spitballing ideas on how to shut down mod thieves by beating them at their own game.

Mod theft is not going away. Trust me, it’s gonna get worse as more shady webmasters find out how profitable it is to share mods illegally.

We can yell “Only Use Modhub!” all we want. It doesn’t help, judging by the parasite’s traffic numbers.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Giants isn’t ever scaring them away with a lawsuit. On the Internet there exists websites selling/sharing highly illegal things and coalitions of multiple governments are in a continual game of wack a mole trying to shut them down. The idea giants will sue one and they all will disappear is preposterous. The only way those go away is if people don’t use them.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Mwal wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:00 pm Giants isn’t ever scaring them away with a lawsuit. On the Internet there exists websites selling/sharing highly illegal things and coalitions of multiple governments are in a continual game of wack a mole trying to shut them down. The idea giants will sue one and they all will disappear is preposterous. The only way those go away is if people don’t use them.
And that's not going to happen either, because the overwhelming majority of players do not engage on forums like this and, I'd guess, don't think beyond "I want a XXXXX for my farm ..." and go looking, the ones that do use mods at all that is.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads