Weeds!

tom1979

Weeds!

Post by tom1979 »

I don't normally have weeds turned on but I think that's cheating a bit so I turned them back on. I thought I had got ahead by spraying the field after ploughing however I noticed last night loads of weeds have appeared!! So when is the right time to spray herbicide?

What I have done:

- fertilised
- ploughed
- sprayed herbicide
- drilled

I thought that should stop the weeds but it doesn't seem to have! I am running Seasons. I was going to spray herbicide after drilling but I noticed some weeds coming through before I could drill.

Thanks!
norfolk farmer

Re: Weeds!

Post by norfolk farmer »

I found the easiest way is to apply herbicide straight after drilling as long as the drill doesn't apply fert. If the drill applies fert you need to wait one growth stage.
AgriFrank

Post by AgriFrank »

This is from the FS19 Fandom page, it seems drilling removes the herbicide effect:

"Once a piece of field has been treated with fertilizer, it will not grow weeds at all until the harvest. This applies even to fields that have not yet grown weeds at all. This means that you can use Herbicide on a field immediately after sowing it, to prevent weeds from growing on it altogether. This effect only lasts until the field is harvested or cultivated."
Last edited by AgriFrank on Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

norfolk farmer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am I found the easiest way is to apply herbicide straight after drilling as long as the drill doesn't apply fert. If the drill applies fert you need to wait one growth stage.
Thanks! So it looks like i was too early spraying before drilling.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

tom1979 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am
norfolk farmer wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am I found the easiest way is to apply herbicide straight after drilling as long as the drill doesn't apply fert. If the drill applies fert you need to wait one growth stage.
Thanks! So it looks like i was too early spraying before drilling.
*thumbsup*
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

As has been noted, certain operations basically "plant" weeds back into the fields and reset the herbicide layer. (harvesting, cultivation/ploughing, seeding if I recall correctly - sorry, it's been a long time since I looked into this / thought about it)
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

Putting the herbicide down now and it seems to be going on quite patchy. Very odd, I don't know if I'm just wasting it or not. Should you be able to see where its gone for it to have any effect ? Or possibly it isn't showing as it doesn't need it.
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

tom1979 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:11 pm Putting the herbicide down now and it seems to be going on quite patchy. Very odd, I don't know if I'm just wasting it or not. Should you be able to see where its gone for it to have any effect ? Or possibly it isn't showing as it doesn't need it.
It must have been doing something as the weeds have not come back
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

You can spray any time the crop status is green on the map
Simplest way to explain it.

You can spray directly after seeding (yellow status) but it will only prevent future growth, not kill growing plants.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
EURO_FARMER

Post by EURO_FARMER »

tom1979 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am I don't normally have weeds turned on but I think that's cheating a bit so I turned them back on
No, I don't think by having weeds off is a kind of cheating. Besides, FS19 is just a game, and there is no wrong or correct in gaming :)
Personally I have weeds off because it gives me a headache. I don't use Seasons and the only reason is because I want to breed horses and I use the mod Horse Breeding by Gtx.
No matter what I try in the game, the next morning the weeds are there !!.
I am doing these steps :

1. Plowing
2. Liming (if required)
3. Manure spreading
4. Cultivating
5. Planting
6. Herbicide

Guess what is happening in the morning when I wake up : The map gets that rose colour of weeds all over, and that is something that makes me wanting to grab the PC and throw it out of the window :lol: :lol:
So, I choose to have weeds off until someone will give me a tip on how to wake up in the morning and see no weeds at all :)
Why spending money to buy herbicide and at the end is just waste of money ?

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
Onkel Mo

Post by Onkel Mo »

Ad step 5.1: wait till the weeds have grown.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Onkel Mo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:35 pm Ad step 5.1: wait till the weeds have grown.
You don't have to with seasons at least.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
tom1979

Post by tom1979 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm
Onkel Mo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:35 pm Ad step 5.1: wait till the weeds have grown.
I couldn't imagine playing without Seasons!
Onkel Mo

Post by Onkel Mo »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm

EURO_FARMER wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 am I don't use Seasons
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

On console, no seasons: plant, (either fert/cult/plant or fert/plant w/ drill), wait for weeds, run 27m Bourgault weeder to save the cost of chem. Spray only if I have to. I notice if you can get the second fert stage on before spraying, the spray changes the dark brown "fertilized" shade to lighter brown, making it easier to gauge coverage, but you have to time that perfectly.
Old fat guy with a day job...