3 Entire Crops Lost due to Drought?

dogwalker1

3 Entire Crops Lost due to Drought?

Post by dogwalker1 »

I am playing on Six Ashes with the Six Ashes geo. According to the Seasons screen you can plant a winter crop of wheat, barley, oat or canola in any of the 3 autumn growth cycles. I planted Canola on two fields and oat on another in early autumn. At the turn of the first growth cycle (going from early autumn to mid autumn) all 3 were 100% withered. The temperature was well above the minimum for germination, but I had not paid close attention to the soil moisture, which I now notice (start of mid-autumn) is only 8%. Did that cause 100% loss of three fields?? I thought drought caused patchy withering not total loss!
ThatCanadianGuy

Re: 3 Entire Crops Lost due to Drought?

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I have never had soil moisture have a significant impact on a crop.
You either seeded outside the seeding window, or the temperature at the end of the season block was too low.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

I think it's an issue with this geo. The soil temperature at the end of mid-autumn was 11 or 12 Celsius (don't recall which), well above the minimum 5C and 6C respectively for canola and oats with this geo. And according to the seasons screen with this geo a winter crop for canola and oats can be planted in either early, mid or late autumn. But.. planting in early autumn failed. I replanted in mid-autumn (temp was still ok) and it germinated. I also noticed earlier in the year that I was able to harvest wheat one growth period earlier than the seasons screen said was feasible.
aklein

Post by aklein »

Sounds like there might be some inconsistencies with the Six Ashes geo as you have indicated the crop ready to harvest 1 transition before what the geo screen indicated. Things might be off by 1 transition. The GEO basically tells seasons what to do and when to do it.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

I'm guessing your soil temps were too low. That's happened to me before.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Draught and cold damage is indeed patchy. GEOs do not control it directly and they can only influence it through the weather settings that they include (for example somebody could try to create a warmer April and very cold May). Entire field withering is something that would have been added by a GEO. Theoretically it's possible for patchy crop failure by drought or cold to destroy an entire field, but that is SUPER unlikely to happen in the actual game.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

double-post, pls delete.
Last edited by dogwalker1 on Thu May 20, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:51 pm I'm guessing your soil temps were too low. That's happened to me before.
I've done that before once as well, but as I already stated twice that was not the case here, not by a good margin. I re-planted the crops in the next growth cycle when it was colder (but still warm enough) and they germinated.

I really do think there is an issue with this geo. As explained above, it's telling me I can plant when apparently I cannot, even with correct temp, and it's telling me I can't harvest when apparently I can (because I did).

Anyhow, I reported it in the bug section, in case the author of this geo is still maintaining it.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

dogwalker1 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:11 pm Thanks for the feedback folks.

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:51 pm I'm guessing your soil temps were too low. That's happened to me before.
I've done that before once as well, but as I already stated twice that was not the case here, not by a good margin.
My bad, dude. I should have read the thread closer, I missed that part. Hopefully you get it figured out!
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:48 pm
dogwalker1 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:11 pm Thanks for the feedback folks.

I've done that before once as well, but as I already stated twice that was not the case here, not by a good margin.
My bad, dude. I should have read the thread closer, I missed that part. Hopefully you get it figured out!
It's all good. All in all I find it's still one of the better geos I've played in terms of weather balance, this issue notwithstanding. The weather can and does bite you but not to the point where you don't stand a chance. Hopefully this inconsistency gets fixed.
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

I have had same issues on Six Ashes running six ashes geo, seems my autumn crops constantly fail. The go from germinated to a fully grown and withered crop in one transition. I believe MrSealyP also had the same issue on his let's play of six ashes.
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

If I lost crops due to drought three times…I’m going to the ModHub And giving one star rating to the map, one star rating on the Geo. And throwing my remote through the screen door on my mobile home, hoping not to hit my ‘84 Cutlass Sierra that sitting on blocks that I hope to restore some day.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 am I have had same issues on Six Ashes running six ashes geo, seems my autumn crops constantly fail. The go from germinated to a fully grown and withered crop in one transition. I believe MrSealyP also had the same issue on his let's play of six ashes.
Thank you for sharing that! Seeing as how it's not just me experiencing this I can rule out it somehow being me having messed up my playthrough... Think I'll just disable that geo and use the default for a game year and see how that goes.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

I lost three seasons worth of crops on Oak Hill. The first one was my bad. I planted outside the window. The two subsequent plantings all withered too. Curiously, on the third try, my corn and sunflowers survived, but I lost my oats, canola, and soy.

I just gave up on it though, and went back to my main farms.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 am I have had same issues on Six Ashes running six ashes geo, seems my autumn crops constantly fail. The go from germinated to a fully grown and withered crop in one transition. I believe MrSealyP also had the same issue on his let's play of six ashes.
There are a few GEOs that I have seen that do have serious problems. If you are unlucky enough to get to a certain period with a certain crop at a certain growth stage, instead of going to stage + 1, the GEO will make the crop go straight to withered. It is because the author did not fully appreciate the effects of what they were doing and ended up with unintentional results.