Best silsge crop?

Paco_86

Best silsge crop?

Post by Paco_86 »

I mean: in the same field and with the same conditions, what is the best crop to make silage?
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
Yeahrightio

Re: Best silsge crop?

Post by Yeahrightio »

I'd say corn, that's hands down for me the most productive. I like it because if the season doesn't look like it will turn out I could get the grain out of it. However grass can make silage, hay, or grass bales so it's much for muchness. I just like corn because I can sink a forage chopper into it, and it's something a little different. And corn is just forage choppers, grass can be forage Harvester, loading wagon or baled up and wrapped, where as corn is chopped and thrown in a pit.
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

I think someone (MrSealyP?) Did a comparison on YouTube.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yes Mr. Sealyp did a long time ago and corn won.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Was just about to post about corn vs grass silage until I read this! You would think after 6,661 hours of gameplay that I would know the answer but I don't. Why do silage via corn instead of grass... You don't have to re plough or even re seed with grass so why in gods name would anyone choose corn over grass? I think this is the last mystery of FS19 for me!
Paco_86

Post by Paco_86 »

Yes, I watched the MrSealyp's video and the "best" is silage, but maybe for my is grass: you only have one corn harvest in a year, but many cut of grass.
I'm playing in a Hp pavilion gaming laptop: Core i5 10300H, Nvidia Gtx 1650, 8 gb RAM
Illinois Farmer

FarmerLee73 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:44 pm Was just about to post about corn vs grass silage until I read this! You would think after 6,661 hours of gameplay that I would know the answer but I don't. Why do silage via corn instead of grass... You don't have to re plough or even re seed with grass so why in gods name would anyone choose corn over grass? I think this is the last mystery of FS19 for me!
Corn gives you more for 1 cut. In reality it comes down to what is done in real life. Silage corn is really good for cows. We give both chopped hay and chopped silage along with high moisture corn for our heifers.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Illinois Farmer

Paco_86 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 pm Yes, I watched the MrSealyp's video and the "best" is silage, but maybe for my is grass: you only have one corn harvest in a year, but many cut of grass.
Depends how big your fields are, if you have a small hay field and get 3 cuts but yields less than 1 cut of corn silage on a bigger field.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:24 pm
FarmerLee73 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:44 pm Was just about to post about corn vs grass silage until I read this! You would think after 6,661 hours of gameplay that I would know the answer but I don't. Why do silage via corn instead of grass... You don't have to re plough or even re seed with grass so why in gods name would anyone choose corn over grass? I think this is the last mystery of FS19 for me!
Corn gives you more for 1 cut. In reality it comes down to what is done in real life. Silage corn is really good for cows. We give both chopped hay and chopped silage along with high moisture corn for our heifers.
Many thanks for the explanation, so it's more of a real life thing. I will sleep well now!
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Corn wins for volume, grass has the advantage of it regrows without anything but an optional fertilizer round and can be used for hay or silage. I don’t have any numbers of which is more cost effective though.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
quintto

Post by quintto »

if you're running with seasons the best option I found it to do corn and to seed grass directly after that as a covercrop, if you're lucky you can get a good grass cut in before you need to seed corn and other wise you can always use the grass mowing mod that always allows you to mow (with lower yields) https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

According to a University of Florida Agricultural Extension Service report published 11/06/2018 corn and sorghum/milo are the highest energy producing silages. Perennial grasses, Annual grasses & Legumes are low energy.

Here is a link to that report.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AA250
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
They Caged Non

Post by They Caged Non »

I do both, grass Silage with something like the fastbale is a super quick way of getting silage, whereas corn needs compacting and fermenting.
Illinois Farmer

Not necessarily if you play on pc, just dump in a silo. Also if you dump grass in a bunker you have to compact as well.