Move ALL FS19 Files and Folders

Toongenius

Move ALL FS19 Files and Folders

Post by Toongenius »

I have FS19 installed on my external SDD. I want to move every file and folder out of the Documents folder and onto the drive. I know I can reroute the Documents folder, change the mods folder using the gameSettings file etc.
I don't want to do any of those things- I want to literally put every single file on the external. I don't want any in its current directory.
Looking everywhere for an answer is driving me mad. Is it just impossible? Is the game so rigid that it must use the Documents folder?
michele1048

Re: Move ALL FS19 Files and Folders

Post by michele1048 »

all game system files and folders must be on the harddisk that contains the operating system.
Matt26

Post by Matt26 »

michele1048 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 am all game system files and folders must be on the harddisk that contains the operating system.
This is not true. I also had some games on a USB drive a long time ago and everything worked. It's also not true that games and programs have to be on the same drive as the operating system, I now have a lot of games and programs on a second drive where I don't have an operating system.
Toongenius wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 am I have FS19 installed on my external SDD. I want to move every file and folder out of the Documents folder and onto the drive. I know I can reroute the Documents folder, change the mods folder using the gameSettings file etc.
I don't want to do any of those things- I want to literally put every single file on the external. I don't want any in its current directory.
Looking everywhere for an answer is driving me mad. Is it just impossible? Is the game so rigid that it must use the Documents folder?
You can cut the game folder and paste it anywhere you like. That way you may have problems installing further patches for FS19 later, but I don't think any further patches are yet to be made for this game.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Same question that I just answered in another post, so same answer

The "easiest" way to do this would be via symbolic links.

Go into your farming simulator folder in documents. (Documents --> My Games

Cut (not copy) FarmingSimulator2019 directory and paste it to your other drive (right click on FarmingSimulator2019 and click Cut then navigate to your other drive and desired directory, right click and choose Paste).

Let's imagine that you are going to use a folder on your D drive called Games. Paste into this folder.

Now you should have no FarmingSimulator2019 in Documents --> My Games. On your D drive you should have Games --> FarmingSimulator2019

Click on the cortana search bar (or hit the Windows key) and type command. Command Prompt should appear at the top. Right click on this and choose Run as Administrator. Click yes, or authenticate yourself

Now type in the following , but do bear in mind that you need to substitute some parts of this to match your system. There is a multitude of ways to copy the path itself and paste it into command prompt that I won't go into here, or you can just type it all out yourself.

I am assuming that your documents folder is on the default C drive. You need to substitute USER with your own User name.

Code: Select all

mklink /J "C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2019" D:\Games\FarmingSimulator2019
The command should give no errors and say something like Junction created for SOURCE <<===>> DESTINATION

It is basically

Code: Select all

mklink /J SOURCE DESTINATION
The reason for surrounding the first path with "" is because there is a space in My Games.

If you look into Documents --> My Games in Explorer you should see what looks like a shortcut named FarmingSimulator2019. But it's much more powerful than a normal windows shortcut and to applications it looks and works like a directory. If you click on it, you should be taken to your moved FarmingSimulator2019 folder on the D drive.

Run the game to make sure everything works. There is no reason for it to not work, but if it does not, then you can always move (cut and paste) FarmingSimulator2019 from the D drive back to My Games under Documents on the C drive.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

michele1048 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 am all game system files and folders must be on the harddisk that contains the operating system.
Not at all. The game asks you where it should install, so you don't have to install it in C:\Program Files. The game is hardcoded to use your system set Documents --> My Games folder for the user data, such as settings, mods and save games and it will use that no matter where it is. If you wish to change this, you can tell Windows to move your entire Documents folder, or simply move FarmingSimulator2019 from My Games to wherever you wish and create a symbolic link to the new location, as per my previous post.
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Explain why please? :shock: :mrgreen:
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
aklein

Post by aklein »

Thats not a correct statement. There is no requirement for game system files to be on the same drive as the OS. The only requirement is the OS has to be able to access those files. I have my user profile stored on a different drive than my OS because my OS is on a smaller M.2 drive while my user profile is stored on a larger traditional drive and my steam library is stored on a third SSD.

To the original poster I am a bit confused but I think I have figured out the request. you want the Farming Simulator 19 folder that is in Users\[Username]\Documents\My Games\ to be on a different drive than User\[Username]\Documents\.

I do not think it maters but is this a stand alone install from disk or direct from Giants? Steam or Epic?

Steam allows you to move your game library around but I do not think that is what you want to do as you reference the files under the Documents path. As theSeb mentioned if you do want to relocate the folder under MyGames you will need to use the symbolic links feature to redirect the OS to the place the files really exist since you can not change where the user data is stored. If you must keep your Documents and such still on the current drive and only move the Farm Sim 19 folder. As you mentioned there is a way to redirect your mod folder which is usually the largest part of what is in the Farm Sim 19 folder aside from the pdlc folder.

Im not seeing any reason why you could not tell windows to move your entire profile location to the other drive. I am guessing now that I am thinking about it you want to do this for portability? You have the game installed on different computers and do not want to have to sync your mod folders or save games? If that's the case then setup a cloud storage account like Google drive or One Drive, drop box, etc to sync your Farm Sim 19 folder across different systems. If you have steam it already cloud syncs your save games.
michele1048

Post by michele1048 »

hi, I agree that the game can run anywhere files and folders are located regardless of the operating system. my advice to avoid problems for those who do not have much experience with these things, especially for the steam, epic versions that have their own default systems.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

As everyone else said that’s false.
Heck you can make Steam use SD cards for the game library.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.